Celine Trio or Gucci Disco?

catsinthebag

adopt a shelter pet!
O.G.
Sep 7, 2010
Hi lovely tPF ladies,

I've been thinking about adding a small cross-body bag to my collection, and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two. I love the sleek look of the Trio, but worry that it will look lumpy and less sleek with my stuff inside. I'm also concerned that the strap is too thin and won't hold up over time. (I would probably get the large Trio.) The Gucci looks hardier and maybe more functional, but my style is pretty understated so I'm concerned that the GG logo and that big tassel will get old after a while. I am in my late 40s (although I look younger) and wonder if the '70s vibe of the bag won't read right on me.

I have thought about a Chanel mini, but I'm not sure it will work cross-body and fear it is simply too small to be functional (especially for that amount of $$).

My style is pretty casual, and I am in jeans 90% of the time. I think in either case I will probably get black for versatility and carefree-ness. What do you all recommend?

Well, I have 3 Gucci Disco's so I would chose that.The tassel doesn't get old for me, I think it makes the bag. I don't own any trios because of what you said, the lump factor. I don't care for the Chanel because I don't like chain straps. I love, love, love the Gucci disco!! The leather is definitely luxury quality. It holds it shape well. I also have had NO issues with any Gucci bags I have. Hope this helps :smile:

I have the trio and the greatest advantage for me is the light weight. I can't tolerate heavy shoulder bags, but since I don't have the others, I don't know their weight. The trio is light as a feather which is more preferable for me than any of the other fabulous designs.

I have both bags and although I like the clean look of the trio better, I find myself using the disco much more often. I think both bags are pretty light in weight, but I don't carry too much in them anyway. Mainly wallet, phone, some beauty products and sunglasses.

Well, I have 3 Gucci Disco's so I would chose that.The tassel doesn't get old for me, I think it makes the bag. I don't own any trios because of what you said, the lump factor. I don't care for the Chanel because I don't like chain straps. I love, love, love the Gucci disco!! The leather is definitely luxury quality. It holds it shape well. I also have had NO issues with any Gucci bags I have. Hope this helps :smile:

It does help, thanks! The fact that you have three Discos is a pretty great endorsement. Is there one color that gets used the most?

I love the Gucci, if the GG are too large for you the backside of the bag, to the best of my knowledge, is plain

Good point, I can just turn the bag around! :biggrin:

I have the trio and the greatest advantage for me is the light weight. I can't tolerate heavy shoulder bags, but since I don't have the others, I don't know their weight. The trio is light as a feather which is more preferable for me than any of the other fabulous designs.

That's part of the appeal to me as well -- the whole hunt for a smaller (yet still functional) bag has come out of a desire to lighten my load. I'll have to go to Saks where I can compare both bags and see if one is noticeably lighter than the other. Thanks for chiming in!

I had the same dilemma a while ago. I went for the G Soho Disco, so glad I did, it's a proper bag rather than a pouch

That's a good point, papertiger (not surprising since I find so many of your comments useful!). I'm not looking at a wallet on a chain for that reason -- I want small, but I still want the bag to be a proper bag. :yes:

I have both bags and although I like the clean look of the trio better, I find myself using the disco much more often. I think both bags are pretty light in weight, but I don't carry too much in them anyway. Mainly wallet, phone, some beauty products and sunglasses.

That's interesting. Why do you think you use the disco more? Is it easier to use than the Trio? Like you, I like the clean look of the Trio, but as I'm thinking about it, I wonder if just having one zipper rather than 3 will make more sense... :thinking:

I have both bags too - 5 Trios I think, 3 small and 2 large - and both styles are popular for good reason. The Trio looks more chic and minimal than the Disco but if it's over packed it looks less so. Honestly it's hard to choose between them unless there's a colour you really love that seals the deal. I'd recommend both but the Disco is probably the sturdier bag.

Reactions: striveforluxury
I have both bags too - 5 Trios I think, 3 small and 2 large - and both styles are popular for good reason. The Trio looks more chic and minimal than the Disco but if it's over packed it looks less so. Honestly it's hard to choose between them unless there's a colour you really love that seals the deal. I'd recommend both but the Disco is probably the sturdier bag.

I wish I could have both! And maybe I will, eventually, but right now I'm also trying to save up for another Chanel reissue so I really want to decide on one. Five Trios, wow! Do you use the small or large more?

I wish I could have both! And maybe I will, eventually, but right now I'm also trying to save up for another Chanel reissue so I really want to decide on one. Five Trios, wow! Do you use the small or large more?

I've probably used the smaller ones more because I've had them longer and I like the colours (indigo, fuchsia and navy). Also I trust the strap more. I haven't had any issues with my Trios but others have experienced strap problems... I never know if they've overfilled the bags :thinking:
Another great little bag is the mini Fendi By The Way (very well thought out but not sleek like the Trio) and the small cross body Gucci bamboo tote. The Fendi is exxy though and you've probably got enough to think about with the Disco v Trio question :biggrin:

Reactions: iwantahermes
I've probably used the smaller ones more because I've had them longer and I like the colours (indigo, fuchsia and navy). Also I trust the strap more. I haven't had any issues with my Trios but others have experienced strap problems... I never know if they've overfilled the bags :thinking:
Another great little bag is the mini Fendi By The Way (very well thought out but not sleek like the Trio) and the small cross body Gucci bamboo tote. The Fendi is exxy though and you've probably got enough to think about with the Disco v Trio question :biggrin:

I've looked at the Fendi BTW (not the mini but the small) and really like it, but there's something about the design that doesn't work for me. I think it's the center zip pocket -- in a bag with that shape, I want all the interior space to be one space, not divided. That may be crazy, but I just can't seem to get past it no matter how many times I look at the bag! Really like Fendi's designs lately though.

Yeah, I've heard about the strap issue with the Trio as well, and always wonder if it's a design flaw or if those people really stuffed their bags. The whole idea of getting one of these bags is to carry less, so hopefully that won't happen to me! Your Trios sound gorgeous!

I think the Trio is the better looking of the two, but would guess the disco is more functional. Personally, I just don't care for the logo. A couple of others to consider are the Proenza Schouler PS1 Tiny and the Balenciaga Town. I also have a Nina Ricci mini Marche that I really like.