Harrods return lost!!

Mila28

Jan 14, 2016
Hi everyone

I am new to this Forum so I hope I posted this in the right place.
So I returned my order from Harrods about a month ago. I had ordered a Givenchy bag and an Agent Provocateur bikini set. The bag was too big for me so I returned it and I sent the bikini top back for an exchange. I sent it registered so the package required a signature. I normally would have added insurance since this was a €2000 order but the Belgian post does not offer shipping with insurance to certain locations and the UK is one of them.
The tracking shows that my package was delivered about a month ago. I never heard anything from Harrods and never got a refund so I contacted them (worried and upset) and they told me that after searching the entire warehouse they could not find my package. I then contacted the shipping company and asked to give me the name and signature of the person that signed for it. They started an investigation with Royal Mail (as soon as the package entered the UK, Royal Mail took over it) about 1,5 week ago but they still haven't been able to get me that name or signature.
I don't know what to do and I cannot tell you how frustrated I am. At first I was quite calm because I was convinced the package would turn up, but now I am starting to lose it...
If the shipping company 'lost' my package then I will not even be refunded for even 10% of the value, I read that on their website.
Has anyone had something like this happen to them? What are my rights and what can I do? The tracking shows 'delivered' so am I still responsible?
I think there is also a possibility that if the carrier didn't ask for any signature while delivering, an employee just could have taken it.
Anyone have any advice? :nogood:

Hi everyone

I am new to this Forum so I hope I posted this in the right place.
So I returned my order from Harrods about a month ago. I had ordered a Givenchy bag and an Agent Provocateur bikini set. The bag was too big for me so I returned it and I sent the bikini top back for an exchange. I sent it registered so the package required a signature. I normally would have added insurance since this was a €2000 order but the Belgian post does not offer shipping with insurance to certain locations and the UK is one of them.
The tracking shows that my package was delivered about a month ago. I never heard anything from Harrods and never got a refund so I contacted them (worried and upset) and they told me that after searching the entire warehouse they could not find my package. I then contacted the shipping company and asked to give me the name and signature of the person that signed for it. They started an investigation with Royal Mail (as soon as the package entered the UK, Royal Mail took over it) about 1,5 week ago but they still haven't been able to get me that name or signature.
I don't know what to do and I cannot tell you how frustrated I am. At first I was quite calm because I was convinced the package would turn up, but now I am starting to lose it...
If the shipping company 'lost' my package then I will not even be refunded for even 10% of the value, I read that on their website.
Has anyone had something like this happen to them? What are my rights and what can I do? The tracking shows 'delivered' so am I still responsible?
I think there is also a possibility that if the carrier didn't ask for any signature while delivering, an employee just could have taken it.
Anyone have any advice? :nogood:

1.5 weeks for a response from Royal Mail is optimistic as they take 3+ months to settle any claim! What happens when you input the tracking number into the Royal Mail website - any additional information on there to help you?

Have you given Harrods the tracking number that shows it as being delivered? With a company of that size then all incoming registered mail should be logged on receipt.

If the parcel has been delivered then the onus is on Harrods to refund you.

1.5 weeks for a response from Royal Mail is optimistic as they take 3+ months to settle any claim! What happens when you input the tracking number into the Royal Mail website - any additional information on there to help you?

Have you given Harrods the tracking number that shows it as being delivered? With a company of that size then all incoming registered mail should be logged on receipt.

If the parcel has been delivered then the onus is on Harrods to refund you.

Thank you for your response. I did give them the tracking number and they saw for themselves on the tracking page of Royal Mail that the package was delivered in their area (Thatcham). But they still insist on seeing a signature from me as they can't find any sign of my package in their warehouse. I just don't know how to react to that, how am I supposed to prove that the package was in fact delivered if the shipping company is not giving me a signature. It's not that the lady I spoke to wasn't polite to me, she was nice, but it kinda was like 'we can't/won't help you without further proof.' Meanwhile they're making a huge profit out of my huge loss. I'm out of €2000 and I'm out of the merchandise.
I don't know what to do anymore. I'm thinking of going to the police but I'm sure they won't be of a lot of help...

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. I did give them the tracking number and they saw for themselves on the tracking page of Royal Mail that the package was delivered in their area (Thatcham). But they still insist on seeing a signature from me as they can't find any sign of my package in their warehouse. I just don't know how to react to that, how am I supposed to prove that the package was in fact delivered if the shipping company is not giving me a signature. It's not that the lady I spoke to wasn't polite to me, she was nice, but it kinda was like 'we can't/won't help you without further proof.' Meanwhile they're making a huge profit out of my huge loss. I'm out of €2000 and I'm out of the merchandise.
I don't know what to do anymore. I'm thinking of going to the police but I'm sure they won't be of a lot of help...

If the package was sent via Registered Mail, then the signature should be viewable on-line. Are you able to see anything when you use the Royal Mail tracking tool?

Hello. Unfortunately there is no signature to be found on the tracking tools, not on Royal Mail's and not on the Belgian post's. It only shows that it was delivered at the right location, which makes me believe that they did in fact receive my package. I'm still waiting for the 'results' of the 'investigation' which honestly is starting to piss me off because why the hell is it taking two weeks to find out whether there is a signature or not. I doubt I will ever get that signature so I'm probably going to have to settle this with Harrods but I just don't know how. They're very persistent on seeing that damned signature.
I can't believe that I'm the one who in fact has nothing to do with this, is being held responsible.
I'm almost convinced that the package was delivered without a signature and that someone there did not miss the opportunity to just take it home with them.

Hello. Unfortunately there is no signature to be found on the tracking tools, not on Royal Mail's and not on the Belgian post's. It only shows that it was delivered at the right location, which makes me believe that they did in fact receive my package. I'm still waiting for the 'results' of the 'investigation' which honestly is starting to piss me off because why the hell is it taking two weeks to find out whether there is a signature or not. I doubt I will ever get that signature so I'm probably going to have to settle this with Harrods but I just don't know how. They're very persistent on seeing that damned signature.
I can't believe that I'm the one who in fact has nothing to do with this, is being held responsible.
I'm almost convinced that the package was delivered without a signature and that someone there did not miss the opportunity to just take it home with them.

PM me the tracking number and I'll ring Royal Mail tomorrow and see if they can release a signature.

PM me the tracking number and I'll ring Royal Mail tomorrow and see if they can release a signature.

Vernis-lover that is such a good idea, I can't believe I never thought of that!! I was so caught up in the problem and the whole frustration that I just felt it was hopeless I guess. I will call them first thing tomorrow -would hate to bother you with this- and let you know. Thank you so much!!!

My next question is: how did you pay for this package?

If you used a credit card, would contact your cc & share this..

Since that package appears to be delivered, Harrod's need not be
so dismissive & put some effort into locating the package

GOOD LUCK & keep us posted

My next question is: how did you pay for this package?

If you used a credit card, would contact your cc & share this..

Since that package appears to be delivered, Harrod's need not be
so dismissive & put some effort into locating the package

GOOD LUCK & keep us posted

I have thought of that, but only a small amount was paid with my credit card because my card had almost reached its limit (holiday shopping yay), I topped up my Paypal account and then paid the rest with what was left on my cc (about €400). I could maybe get that amount back by contacting them but then I'm still out of €1600... I normally ALWAYS pay using my cc, but this was an 'emergency' and topping up my PP account seemed to be a quick fix. Basically everything that could have gone wrong just went wrong. What a great start to a new year :tdown:
I wonder if Paypal could help, or does their buyer protection not apply to regular store purchases? I think I'll give them a ring as well.
I hope RM will be able to help me out tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted, thank you so much for all of your help!!!

Tracking shows the package was delivered according to you about a month ago.

The item(s) were probably put back in the store inventory as there was nothing
wrong with them ( meaning damage)

Suggest you need to be more assertive with customer service at Harrod's &
keep reinforcing the "package was delivered".....

Keep us posted & sorry this is so frustrating

Tracking shows the package was delivered according to you about a month ago.

The item(s) were probably put back in the store inventory as there was nothing
wrong with them ( meaning damage)

Suggest you need to be more assertive with customer service at Harrod's &
keep reinforcing the "package was delivered".....

Keep us posted & sorry this is so frustrating

You're right, I am probably being 'too polite'.
I'll give it another week and keep harassing the shipping companies. If I don't have any news from them by the end of the week, I'll turn to Harrods again. It's absolutely unfair that they think I should be the one suffering for this, while -again- they are making a huge profit out of my awfully huge loss. I don't think this ever would have happened at NAP or Amazon. And if it did, they wouldn't have their customers take the fall for a second.
From now on I will never shop anywhere where they don't offer returns themselves again.

Thank you all for all of your help and advice, I cannot thank you enough.

You're right, I am probably being 'too polite'.
I'll give it another week and keep harassing the shipping companies. If I don't have any news from them by the end of the week, I'll turn to Harrods again. It's absolutely unfair that they think I should be the one suffering for this, while -again- they are making a huge profit out of my awfully huge loss. I don't think this ever would have happened at NAP or Amazon. And if it did, they wouldn't have their customers take the fall for a second.
From now on I will never shop anywhere where they don't offer returns themselves again.

Thank you all for all of your help and advice, I cannot thank you enough.

OP,if that package was returned around holiday time, it may have been
displaced. But once tracking from RM shows that package was delivered,
you need to put some pressure on Harrod's.

Proof of delivery should be enough to get your refund. Keep on them...

It says it was delivered on 7 December, here's a screenshot of the tracking

oii_zpsm2ltfmdb.png

I don't know whether that is considered a busy period?
But you are absolutely right. I've been too polite, too patient and too insecure. If I were a rude customer they probably would have refunded me right away, or at least offered some kind of solution.
What they said was: "We've checked and we never received a package from Bpost" (the Belgian shipping company). I don't really understand how they can check where all the packages originally come from. It was a way to get me to shut up I guess.