Please Help Clarify - Nubuck!

Sep 2, 2011
I saw a photo of the navy blue Nubuck phantom and was doing some research on here regarding care and maintenance. It seems that some think Nubuck is durable while others consider it to be a lot of maintenance so I am really confused. Could someone please help shed some light? I have only seen this bag in photos and don't want to go to the trouble of tracking one down if it requires a lot of care as I wouldn't want the stress of a high maintenance bag. Tia!

Hi Prettyvouge, I have an olive nubuck phantom and it's more durable than suede. Nubuck it's actually different from suede since they're using the outside part of the skin. So it's basically just like ordinary leather but the finishing made it look like suede. However the surface is thicker and not as fluffy as in suede. But still I wouldn't say it's ok to get into rain or splash of water.

Hi Prettyvouge, I have an olive nubuck phantom and it's more durable than suede. Nubuck it's actually different from suede since they're using the outside part of the skin. So it's basically just like ordinary leather but the finishing made it look like suede. However the surface is thicker and not as fluffy as in suede. But still I wouldn't say it's ok to get into rain or splash of water.
Hi r0ckst34dy, wow an olive one, that sounds exquisite! Is that color still available or is it from a different season?

Can you please tell me if the bag would be ok in the event it got a little wet in rain or is that an absolute no no? Also just wondering about color transfer issues and how the back of your bag looks since it would be up against you and may rub against your clothes when you carry it. Does the finish on the back get damaged from friction from your clothes at all? The stamped Nubuck phantom is so gorgeous but I would hate to ruin it if I got one.

It's from last season FW. Personally I always keep my bags from getting wet especially in the rain. And it might be hard to wipe the stain on nubuck's rough surface. I'd say mine is still in pretty good condition since I tend to rotate my bags. The finish is still excellent but at the lower right end there's a bit of dusty color from rubbing. But maybe coz it's due to light color of my bag. It wouldn't be a big deal if it's dark color.

I had a Gucci nubuck bag that I sold because it showed wear so easily. I wore it twice and it rubbed on my pants and the nubuck wore down. I don't think I'll ever purchase a nubuck or suede bag after that purchase. However Celine may have a better type of nubuck. Good luck deciding!!

I saw a photo of the navy blue Nubuck phantom and was doing some research on here regarding care and maintenance. It seems that some think Nubuck is durable while others consider it to be a lot of maintenance so I am really confused. Could someone please help shed some light? I have only seen this bag in photos and don't want to go to the trouble of tracking one down if it requires a lot of care as I wouldn't want the stress of a high maintenance bag. Tia!

Nubuck looks lovely and soft, but i find it high maintenance just like suede. If you live in rainy city or you don't like to baby your bags then i would recommend buying a classic leather Celine Phantom bag as it will be less likely to show wear. :smile:

Thank you all, this is most helpful! Could someone please tell me what worn Nubuck actually looks like? I don't own any suede or nubuck so I really have no idea what to expect. Does it get flat and shiny or more rough looking? I don't mind the appearance of a nicely worn in bag but something that looked old and tattered would upset me. Pictures are most welcome!