2016 resolution - shopping from my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

Aug 15, 2012
WOW, I can't believe we are heading into our 4th year of this thread. I started it as a way to keep my self accountable for my goals, and get support, but now it's become much more of a community of friends. I'm so thankful for every one that has celebrated a bag purchase, or helped me step away from one. With your help, I finally succeeded in not buying any bags or wallets in 2015, after so many years of trying!!! THANK YOU:happydance:

A look back at my 2015 resolution: to continue to use and enjoy my current collection, to not exceed the current number of wallets I have, and to not exceed the number of bags I have and to continue to let go of any more bags that I find are not working for me. I may re-evaluate my clutches and see what can be done there - I might let a lot of them go and focus on having just a few that would suit all my possible clutch needs. I'm happy with what I have and have used all of them at some point or another, but feel that I can consolidate my collection into a more well-rounded bunch.

What happened? I did exceed the number of wallets I own because I was surprisingly gifted one by my husband, I didn't exceed the number of bags I owned because I bought NONE! (my backpack doesn't count), I only let go of one SLG at the beginning of the year, and I still own the same amount of clutches.

My 2016 resolution: Let go of 10 items from within my bag, wallet, and SLG collections, and use those to fund a pre-loved Speedy 35 or 40. With the exception of the Speedy, not add any more items to any of the previously mentioned categories.

This year, I'll be focusing more on letting go and reducing my numbers, than not shopping at all =)

To returning and new members, wishing everyone a wonderful holiday season! and looking forward to spending 2016, continuing to support one another. :drinkup:

WOW, I can't believe we are heading into our 4th year of this thread. I started it as a way to keep my self accountable for my goals, and get support, but now it's become much more of a community of friends. I'm so thankful for every one that has celebrated a bag purchase, or helped me step away from one. With your help, I finally succeeded in not buying any bags or wallets in 2015, after so many years of trying!!! THANK YOU:happydance:

A look back at my 2015 resolution: to continue to use and enjoy my current collection, to not exceed the current number of wallets I have, and to not exceed the number of bags I have and to continue to let go of any more bags that I find are not working for me. I may re-evaluate my clutches and see what can be done there - I might let a lot of them go and focus on having just a few that would suit all my possible clutch needs. I'm happy with what I have and have used all of them at some point or another, but feel that I can consolidate my collection into a more well-rounded bunch.

What happened? I did exceed the number of wallets I own because I was surprisingly gifted one by my husband, I didn't exceed the number of bags I owned because I bought NONE! (my backpack doesn't count), I only let go of one SLG at the beginning of the year, and I still own the same amount of clutches.

My 2016 resolution: Let go of 10 items from within my bag, wallet, and SLG collections, and use those to fund a pre-loved Speedy 35 or 40. With the exception of the Speedy, not add any more items to any of the previously mentioned categories.

This year, I'll be focusing more on letting go and reducing my numbers, than not shopping at all =)

To returning and new members, wishing everyone a wonderful holiday season! and looking forward to spending 2016, continuing to support one another. :drinkup:

Congrats to you on a job well done!

My 2016 resolution is to rotate through all of my bags & slg's as I admit I am not good about rotating, and just keep going back & forth between a few. Most importantly to STOP buying more bags, or slg's as I am not even using what I do have! :sad:

I look forward to contributing in the future & Thanks for letting me share.

My 2016 resolution is to rotate through all of my bags & slg's as I admit I am not good about rotating, and just keep going back & forth between a few. Most importantly to STOP buying more bags, or slg's as I am not even using what I do have! :sad:

Thank you! and can't wait to travel alongside your journey to reaching your goals It can be done! Last year we rotated through the colors of the rainbow, and then bag styles, to make us more aware of what we had and it helped us rotate our bags each month.

Thanks Egg for starting this. I joined in latter part of 2014 and am happy to be regularly there in the 2015 one. Lovely ladies you all are!

For 2016 I have yet a few days to think on what I can realistically target, considering my 2014 and 2015 performance along the lines of resolutions. [emoji6] Will post later. [emoji4]

Wow that's impressive. My collection is small so I still have room - but my plan is to rotate and get to use each bag more. Also limit myself to only adding less than 3 items in the collection.

Hi there, I would like to join.

Last year and this year I established a collection of bags that I heavily rotate, there are a variety of brands that I have bought in, from the well-known to the little known, rounding the total to 18. There are also a variety of styles from satchels to totes to chain bags to slgs (just 2 wallets actually, 1 I am presently using).

I made sure to cover all bases as I deliberate on my purchases. As I don't sell my bags, I need to curate my collection as I build it up.

Like the OP I think I need a LV Speedy (I am considering the Speedy B) in my collection as I don't have a true boston bag, and then that's it. I will sit back and enjoy using my bags.

This years goal will be similar to last year. I have a limited amount of space so I can not exceed that space. If I fill it up I have to sell or give away one in order to bring one in. Here is the new part of the goal. I need to more throughly look at bags at the point of purchase no matter how much my DH is rushing me. This way I won't have to do so many returns because a zipper doesn't work etc. I also need to learn not to be afraid to use my more expensive bags.

Egg you are an inspiration!

I'm going for a true shopping of my own wardrobe in 2016. I'm really happy to hear that someone made it because that gives me confidence that I can make it too [emoji5]️

My 2016 goal
  • Rotate bags weekly
  • Use everything (Bags, SLGs, charms) to lower cost per wear (cpw)
  • Use my charm and twilly collections
  • Go two consecutive months without buying a bag.
  • Reduce impulse purchases that won't last a year in the collection.

Welcome!
Why do you only rotate between a few instead of all of them?
Throughout 2015's resolution, the bags I neglected simply didn't work as well as I thought they would for me. So out they went and in came ones I love. :smile:

Hopefully we can help you towards your resolution!

Thank you! and can't wait to travel alongside your journey to reaching your goals It can be done! Last year we rotated through the colors of the rainbow, and then bag styles, to make us more aware of what we had and it helped us rotate our bags each month.

We should do that again, as some collections may change. :smile:
And super congratulations on accomplishing your resolution!!

Hi there, I would like to join.

Last year and this year I established a collection of bags that I heavily rotate, there are a variety of brands that I have bought in, from the well-known to the little known, rounding the total to 18. There are also a variety of styles from satchels to totes to chain bags to slgs (just 2 wallets actually, 1 I am presently using).

I made sure to cover all bases as I deliberate on my purchases. As I don't sell my bags, I need to curate my collection as I build it up.

Like the OP I think I need a LV Speedy (I am considering the Speedy B) in my collection as I don't have a true boston bag, and then that's it. I will sit back and enjoy using my bags.

Welcome!
Totally recommending the Speedy B for the boston bag spot!
Though I'm tempted by egg's idea to get a Speedy beater bag.

This years goal will be similar to last year. I have a limited amount of space so I can not exceed that space. If I fill it up I have to sell or give away one in order to bring one in. Here is the new part of the goal. I need to more throughly look at bags at the point of purchase no matter how much my DH is rushing me. This way I won't have to do so many returns because a zipper doesn't work etc. I also need to learn not to be afraid to use my more expensive bags.

I like that resolution for you, Dcooney! It seems you are a bit rushed sometimes and those are the ones that don't work as well or you have to put more effort into using.
But it seems like you just have to get DH to wait somewhere while you ponder, lol.

Egg you are an inspiration!

I'm going for a true shopping of my own wardrobe in 2016. I'm really happy to hear that someone made it because that gives me confidence that I can make it too [emoji5]️
Oh, are you going to make a thread? I'd follow that! And you can do a shop your wardrobe 2016! I know you can!

I am not going on a total ban, there are a few bags I will likely buy in 2016, but my goal is to not buy more than one bag per month [average--if I see some really good deals in one month will purchase, but will keep the avg of 1 bag/month] and hopefully in 2017 not buy...and maybe even get rid of bags, something I've never done :-/

I am not going on a total ban, there are a few bags I will likely buy in 2016, but my goal is to not buy more than one bag per month [average--if I see some really good deals in one month will purchase, but will keep the avg of 1 bag/month] and hopefully in 2017 not buy...and maybe even get rid of bags, something I've never done :-/

Welcome!

I'm jumping back in on this thread. I used to be a member in 2014 (I think), but I decided to try and control my spending by avoiding the internet, including the forum. My collection has radically changed over 2015 and, while I am not on a ban, I want to be more thoughtful about what I am buying so that I don't fall back into the buy and sell merry-go-round again because I purchased a purse that doesn't work for my life or is too heavy.

My goals for 2016 are: (1) to use the bags that I already have in my closet; (2) carefully plan out any purchases; and (3) to sell what bags I can that do not work for me and donate/gift the bags that I cannot sell.

Reactions: floodette