Need Help! (Kelly Dilemma)

Sandar

O.G.
Sep 22, 2012
Hi there, Hermes lovers.
I'm a newbie here and I really need your advice on my H purchase.
Here's my story:
I'll be 24 next April and am a fresh dental graduate. I have my own small premier designer bag collection that includes a Celine Trapeze, a LV Saumur, a Chanel WOC, a Mulberry Small Bays Water Satchel, a Gucci SOHO clutch, a Balenciaga flat clutch, an AlexanderMcQueen De Menta clutch and some small leather goods.
Now, I am thinking about getting my very first H bag and I know I always wanted it to be a 28cm Black Retourne Kelly in Clemence or Togo with gold hardware. But I am still a nobody to the H store and the chance of getting a brand new Kelly outta H store for me is really really slim.
As I am a fresh graduate, this purchase will be my first and last H purchase in like next 5 years as I have to save up for a nice future house and my own private clinic
So, I am thinking about getting a Jypsiere 28cm instead hoping it will quench my thirst for Kelly. Do you think I should buy Jypsiere and have my H-store profile built, save money and buy a Kelly like 4-5 years later? Or should I buy a Kelly now from an auction or a reseller which would cost much more the retail price???
Style wise, I love "classy with an edge". Do you think Jypsiere would fill the void in my bag collection? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :smile:

Last edited:
Hi there, Hermes lovers.
Here's my story:
I'll be 24 next April and a fresh dental graduate. I have my own small premier designer bag collection that includes a Celine Trapeze, a LV Saumur, a Chanel WOC, a Mulberry Small Bays Water Satchel, a Gucci SOHO clutch, an AlexanderMcQueen De Menta clutch and some small leather goods.
Now, I am thinking about getting my very first H bag and I know I always wanted it to be a 28 Black Retourne Kelly in Clemence or Togo with gold hardware. But I am still a nobody to the H store and the chance of getting a brand new Kelly outta H store for me is really really slim.
As I am a fresh graduate, this purchase will be my first and last H purchase in like 5 years as I have to save up for a nice future house and my own private clinic
So, I am thinking about getting a Jypsiere 28 instead hoping it will quench my thirst for Kelly. Do you think I should buy Jypsiere and have my H-store profile built, save money and buy a Kelly like 4-5 years later? Or should I buy a Kelly now from an auction or a reseller which would cost much more the retail price?
Style wise, I love "classy with an edge". Do you think Jypsiere would fill the void in my bag collection? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :smile:
My advice would be to wait for a Kelly by building up a relationship with the staff at your local H store. The Jypsiere is a lovely bag but it''s not a Kelly.

Hi there, Hermes lovers.
Here's my story:
I'll be 24 next April and a fresh dental graduate. I have my own small premier designer bag collection that includes a Celine Trapeze, a LV Saumur, a Chanel WOC, a Mulberry Small Bays Water Satchel, a Gucci SOHO clutch, an AlexanderMcQueen De Menta clutch and some small leather goods.
Now, I am thinking about getting my very first H bag and I know I always wanted it to be a 28 Black Retourne Kelly in Clemence or Togo with gold hardware. But I am still a nobody to the H store and the chance of getting a brand new Kelly outta H store for me is really really slim.
As I am a fresh graduate, this purchase will be my first and last H purchase in like 5 years as I have to save up for a nice future house and my own private clinic
So, I am thinking about getting a Jypsiere 28 instead hoping it will quench my thirst for Kelly. Do you think I should buy Jypsiere and have my H-store profile built, save money and buy a Kelly like 4-5 years later? Or should I buy a Kelly now from an auction or a reseller which would cost much more the retail price?

Definitely save up for a kelly. It's one of the most iconic bags. And some people get lucky as a walk in to get their b and k so you never know!

There is no sub for Kelly. Why not look into used vintage market ? If you do your homework, you should get what you want in a reasonable time. The only caveat is that K28 price went up a lot due to popular demand. In any case, keep an open mind. Good luck !

J is nearly as expensive as a K, so to me it's money wasted on a bag that is not even your first option. I'm not from US, but from what I read people sometimes get lucky at boutiques in big cities like NY.

Hi there, Hermes lovers.
Here's my story:
I'll be 24 next April and am a fresh dental graduate. I have my own small premier designer bag collection that includes a Celine Trapeze, a LV Saumur, a Chanel WOC, a Mulberry Small Bays Water Satchel, a Gucci SOHO clutch, a Balenciaga flat clutch, an AlexanderMcQueen De Menta clutch and some small leather goods.
Now, I am thinking about getting my very first H bag and I know I always wanted it to be a 28cm Black Retourne Kelly in Clemence or Togo with gold hardware. But I am still a nobody to the H store and the chance of getting a brand new Kelly outta H store for me is really really slim.
As I am a fresh graduate, this purchase will be my first and last H purchase in like next 5 years as I have to save up for a nice future house and my own private clinic
So, I am thinking about getting a Jypsiere 28cm instead hoping it will quench my thirst for Kelly. Do you think I should buy Jypsiere and have my H-store profile built, save money and buy a Kelly like 4-5 years later? Or should I buy a Kelly now from an auction or a reseller which would cost much more the retail price???

I would also have to say go for the Kelly! I'm slightly biased with several of my own in both the 28 and 32 sizes. I wish I could have started my H journey in my 20's!
Preowned Ks aren't always more than retail, the majority of mine are vintage and it's very well worth doing your homework and research - you're most likely to be rewarded. Best of luck!

Hi there, Hermes lovers.
Here's my story:

Definitely dream kelly
No other replacement haha
Stay focus honey
Stop looking at other model

Highlight to your store you dream bag combo
Meanwhile look around secondary market
Do comparison
And remember authenticate it before buy

Go big or go home! You can build a relationship with your store and make sure they know your specifications, everyone wants a K or B, but I've never met someone who just buys the bag and stops ,you always want to get stuff not necessarily another bag though,

hermes offers vast range of small leather , scarves, accessories..etc, maybe start buying small things, and walk in every now and then to check up,
I always think that vintage is best choice for a second bag not first,

There is no sub for Kelly. Why not look into used vintage market ? If you do your homework, you should get what you want in a reasonable time. The only caveat is that K28 price went up a lot due to popular demand. In any case, keep an open mind. Good luck !

J is nearly as expensive as a K, so to me it's money wasted on a bag that is not even your first option. I'm not from US, but from what I read people sometimes get lucky at boutiques in big cities like NY.

I would also have to say go for the Kelly! I'm slightly biased with several of my own in both the 28 and 32 sizes. I wish I could have started my H journey in my 20's!
Preowned Ks aren't always more than retail, the majority of mine are vintage and it's very well worth doing your homework and research - you're most likely to be rewarded. Best of luck!

Thank you all. :smile:

Definitely dream kelly
No other replacement haha
Stay focus honey
Stop looking at other model

Highlight to your store you dream bag combo
Meanwhile look around secondary market
Do comparison
And remember authenticate it before buy

Go big or go home! You can build a relationship with your store and make sure they know your specifications, everyone wants a K or B, but I've never met someone who just buys the bag and stops ,you always want to get stuff not necessarily another bag though,

hermes offers vast range of small leather , scarves, accessories..etc, maybe start buying small things, and walk in every now and then to check up,
I always think that vintage is best choice for a second bag not first,

Thank you, bagidiotic and Baglover121 for the replies.

You realize of course that "building a relationship" costs $$$. If you want scarves, enamels etc. then go for it. However, you may have to spend quite a bit to merit just what you want in this case. It really depends on how you want to spend your money. For example, some wallets are in the 2000-3000 plus category and some of the lower priced bags are in the 3000-4000 range. I prefer a bag to a wallet when this type of money is involved, but that is my personal taste.

I personally would rather buy from the boutique than resale. Go to the boutique to try on bags. I tried on the jypsiere, and I did not find the sizes and strap to fall well on me. I see photos on this site where other people look great in it. You may find that it is good for you or not so good. In the lower priced bags, I think garden party and evelyne look nice. I think there are some nice wallets too that cost almost as much.

Congrats on your degree.

Hi there, Hermes lovers.
Here's my story:

Have you ever tried the jypsiere? It was my dream bag, even more than a B/K and I was SO disappointed when I saw one in person and saw how heavy it was!!!! I never looked back since.

Also, building a relationship with an SA takes time and money, so go for things you really like, even if seldomly and then ask for a B/K when you are able to afford one again.