When you discover you're the girl who has everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the position of not having much, but not needing anything.

When I am in my home country, for my birthday I donate a meal to an orphanage or a seniors home. We talk to the management and cater food for the people including the staff, go there and share a meal with them and talk to the elderly/the kids about their lives. I can't tell you how amazing it is to celebrate your birthday in a place like that. (I don't tell anyone that it is my birthday unless I'm asked - no cake or anything like that). My mother who lives in my home country now does that for me.

The forum may say so, but I assure you that none of the members just 'obsess shallowly'. You should have read the thread about the girl who told her maid off for putting a crease in her LV!

Merika you're amazing.
This Chinese proverb comes to mind: You aren't wealthy until you have something money cannot buy.
For me this includes humility and compassion.

We go thru different phases in our life where we're very content, then restless, etc. If you're in a good place now, why have your guy buy a gift just to buy something? Dh and I often handle holidays this way, and we donate to charity. I like Charles' idea--I always feel wonderful when I do for people or animals who can use the extra help.

I agree with some of the others... if there is nothing you want, then give to some who may need! It is a great feeling! :yes:

Happy early birthday!

I can only not have ideas for people that don't want to spend several hundred dollars on bags, shoes, clothes, etc. I'm not saying I will only accept designer items, but it's hard for me to ask for less expensive things because I'm pretty well stocked up on makeup and toiletries. What means more to me is if someone is creative. Knowing someone put time into something to make me or just a creative idea means more to me than any hundred dollar item. But...most people I know have a hard time unless you tell them directly what you want. So maybe I should start doing the charity thing too for those people. Would benefit people who need it and give the person a solid idea.

That's cool that you're at that point! Liberating, for sure! We live in such an acquisition-focused society that sometimes it's nice to have a break from all the wanting, wanting, wanting!!!

I think a cat condo would be really sweet. Your cat would love it, and you'd derive hours of enjoyment from watching her enjoy it!

I want a lot of things, but I don't need any of them. I guess I am just low maintainance and content with what I have.

Funny thing, I have been listening to this "Beautiful Day" song from U2 lately, and there is a line in it that goes: If you don't have it, you don't need it now.

So true.

Sheesh people! Lighten the hell up!
Its her Birthday coming up and she was just musing on how she doesn't really want or need anything! So what? She needs to volunteer at a soup kitchen on that day? She can do that any day and you have no idea what her and her boyfriend do for charity so enough with the Mother Teresa advice.
Man this place is getting so judgemental.

I-Set I hope you get your cat condo!

Sheesh people! Lighten the hell up!
Its her Birthday coming up and she was just musing on how she doesn't really want or need anything! So what? She needs to volunteer at a soup kitchen on that day? She can do that any day and you have no idea what her and her boyfriend do for charity so enough with the Mother Teresa advice.
Man this place is getting so judgemental.
Thanks, this was what I was thinking, but I didn't know how best to say it. :heart:

Hey, I started snooping around here for a reason. I'm all about high end stuff, and I have no problems with people who buy designer products. It just seemed to me that IntlSet started a thread to say how she simply can't think of anything she wants cause she already has everything..and that she's almost proud of that fact. Bragging about how she doesn't even want another Chanel bag. What will she do??? It was all about the way she approached the subject. If she would have simply said "Hey guys, my bday is coming up, and I can't really think of anything I want. Maybe you guys can suggest something?" I wouldn't have given it another thought, nor a "judgmental" reply. Instead, her thread came across as something Paris Hilton might have started.
Meanwhile, I'm over here looking at pictures from our mentoring sessions with students who's parents can't even take the time to help them study or buy them new clothes to replace their current tattered articles. So pardon me if I overreacted a bit....seriously.

I'm sorry if I came across as trying to give Mother Teresa advice. When reading the OP's post I had the same reaction as Charles, so I thought well, sometimes people who do have everything they want would like to give other people some happiness and share their joy.

If they've already been there and done that, then :shrugs:

Hey, I started snooping around here for a reason. I'm all about high end stuff, and I have no problems with people who buy designer products. It just seemed to me that IntlSet started a thread to say how she simply can't think of anything she wants cause she already has everything..and that she's almost proud of that fact. Bragging about how she doesn't even want another Chanel bag. What will she do??? It was all about the way she approached the subject. If she would have simply said "Hey guys, my bday is coming up, and I can't really think of anything I want. Maybe you guys can suggest something?" I wouldn't have given it another thought, nor a "judgmental" reply. Instead, her thread came across as something Paris Hilton might have started.
Meanwhile, I'm over here looking at pictures from our mentoring sessions with students who's parents can't even take the time to help them study or buy them new clothes to replace their current tattered articles. So pardon me if I overreacted a bit....seriously.

:roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao:

charles calm down........................its not that deep......

you are being way to serious about that

and comparing her to paris hilton is way too mean...

Status
Not open for further replies.