why do we splurge on bags that will go out of style?

neptis

Apr 5, 2015
hey dear fellow purse lovers !!
Ive been thinking for a great while and this's really weighing on me... Is it that savvy in the long run to invest into bags that are being sold only for a limited amount of time meaning itll be easy to date them and they are likely to be dated in severeal years' time. Say, I currently hold YSL Cabas Chyc, YSL Roady in white, Tod's Shade to name but a few. I love them to bits but what with having a family and buying a home i don't think ill be willing to splurge on a designer high-end piece and Ill stick with these bags. So ive been thinking that maybe it is wiser to invest only into bottega veneta and chanel bags since they are constantly there. What are you thoughts? hm
i really love my bags and don't want to part with them but not sure ill be able to sell them in 4 years(((

Ive been thinking for a great while and this's really weighing on me... Is it that savvy in the long run to invest into bags that are being sold only for a limited amount of time meaning itll be easy to date them and they are likely to be dated in severeal years' time. Say, I currently hold YSL Cabas Chyc, YSL Roady in white, Tod's Shade to name but a few. I love them to bits but what with having a family and buying a home i don't think ill be willing to splurge on a designer high-end piece and Ill stick with these bags. So ive been thinking that maybe it is wiser to invest only into bottega veneta and chanel bags since they are constantly there. What are you thoughts? hm
i really love my bags and don't want to part with them but not sure ill be able to sell them in 4 years(((
I don't really see any bags as "dated"... I just see bags I love or don't love :smile:

I say buy what you love, regardless of fashion, trends or "investment", and you will always enjoy it.

I don't really see any bags as "dated"... I just see bags I love or don't love :smile:

I say buy what you love, regardless of fashion, trends or "investment", and you will always enjoy it.
but sadly enough they will cost so little so soon and itll be a problem to recoup any money. and im afraid i won't feel okish wearing them hmmm

Yes, I see... if you plan on being able to sell your bags in the future without making a huge loss than definitely stick to the classics and those whose prices keep going up and up (like Chanel)

Yes, I see... if you plan on being able to sell your bags in the future without making a huge loss than definitely stick to the classics and those whose prices keep going up and up (like Chanel)
yeah but at the same time chanel isn't doing anything for me. its everywhere! fake and real

Hmm.
Guess I buy what I want to use. For me. Now.
And avoid buying around imaginary resale customers. Or believing that stockpiled handbags equal financial security.

There's a saying about never being irreplaceable, as long as one is exactly the same as everyone else.
If my bags aren't current trend, meh. If they are, meh.
I like them. Use them regularly for years. They hold lots of tissues & lip balm, without being annoying.
Perfect. For my style.

Suppose the real questions are, "Why are you buying handbags?" & "For whom are you buying handbags?"
Good luck. :smile:

Hmm.
Guess I buy what I want to use. For me. Now.
And avoid buying around imaginary resale customers. Or believing that stockpiled handbags equal financial security.

There's a saying about never being irreplaceable, as long as one is exactly the same as everyone else.
If my bags aren't current trend, meh. If they are, meh.
I like them. Use them regularly for years. They hold lots of tissues & lip balm, without being annoying.
Perfect. For my style.

Suppose the real questions are, "Why are you buying handbags?" & "For whom are you buying handbags?"
Good luck. :smile:
like what youre saying but deep down there is this nagging thought though

If you want to buy bags you love, buy them and use them. Don't expect to recoup most of the money back. That's the price you pay for using them.

If you want to buy just to resell in the future after using it, stick with something people will want to pay for. If you don't like those bags, too bad. There's the price for that, too.

But seriously, don't expect to get all the money back from selling used bags. It's all a lie about getting most of the money back. Sure some people get lucky, but some don't.

I'd say stick to bags you love so maybe even after 5 years you'll still love/use them and don't want to sell.

Ive been thinking for a great while and this's really weighing on me... Is it that savvy in the long run to invest into bags that are being sold only for a limited amount of time meaning itll be easy to date them and they are likely to be dated in severeal years' time. Say, I currently hold YSL Cabas Chyc, YSL Roady in white, Tod's Shade to name but a few. I love them to bits but what with having a family and buying a home i don't think ill be willing to splurge on a designer high-end piece and Ill stick with these bags. So ive been thinking that maybe it is wiser to invest only into bottega veneta and chanel bags since they are constantly there. What are you thoughts? hm i really love my bags and don't want to part with them but not sure ill be able to sell them in 4 years(((
This has been discussed over and over in the forum, as you can imagine.

Basically, the resolution is: Handbags are NOT something to "invest" in. Talk to your financial advisor and invest your money wisely, and talk to your best friend about handbags and buy what you like.

Why in the world would you part with your bags now (the bags you say you 'really love') because they may not be as valuable in four years? Are you truly buying bags with the idea that you might recoup their cost? Oh, dear.

:whistle:

If you want to buy bags you love, buy them and use them. Don't expect to recoup most of the money back. That's the price you pay for using them.

If you want to buy just to resell in the future after using it, stick with something people will want to pay for. If you don't like those bags, too bad. There's the price for that, too.

But seriously, don't expect to get all the money back from selling used bags. It's all a lie about getting most of the money back. Sure some people get lucky, but some don't.

I'd say stick to bags you love so maybe even after 5 years you'll still love/use them and don't want to sell.

I love your avatar! So colorful, and so very true!

I only buy older bags, I mean I could not afford a new Linea Pelle bag so I buy pre-loved. So I'm pretty sure my bags are n3ver trendy, but I love them and get compliments just the same.

I understand ur point.....I just sold my Celine last month to fund another Chanel flap....I struggled but in the end felt that it didn't really work for me and it felt forced. Decided to part with it and recoup my cash before it became totally unpopular and I would have to practically give it away. When ur spending thousands of dollars on a bag I expect it to last and not be so dated that I don't want to use....Lucky for me I was a LV girl and now have transitioned to Chanel flap girl....it makes more sense for me to invest in classics and just have a few trendy Valentino bags still in classic styles I might add so I feel ok that my choices will work 10 years from now. I say sell now and invest in whatever classics ur really liking

I understand ur point.....I just sold my Celine last month to fund another Chanel flap....I struggled but in the end felt that it didn't really work for me and it felt forced. Decided to part with it and recoup my cash before it became totally unpopular and I would have to practically give it away. When ur spending thousands of dollars on a bag I expect it to last and not be so dated that I don't want to use....Lucky for me I was a LV girl and now have transitioned to Chanel flap girl....it makes more sense for me to invest in classics and just have a few trendy Valentino bags still in classic styles I might add so I feel ok that my choices will work 10 years from now. I say sell now and invest in whatever classics ur really liking

thank you! exactly. im not a lv person myself and chanel flaps are out of my reach and not exactly my style but it feels nerve-wracking a bit that the bag you like will be considered unwanted and not current one day whereas lv, chanel and bottega bags remain current always. so what's the point of buying other brands since you will be forced to sell them one day not because you consider them an investment no just because you will look weird rocking them