Trapeze or Phantom?

honeybunch

O.G.
Jan 22, 2007
Hi ladies, I wanted one last bag splurge before my baby comes along! I like both of these bags but the only trapezes available in the boutique near to me have suede wings. How does the suede hold up over time? I was considering either black or beige. I'm not a fan of bright colours or the tri-colour ones. Also, does anyone know if there are any all-leather Trapezes in the UK in either black or beige?

Finally, the phantom is a bag I've been debating over for years. I was looking at the saffiano leather one in a taupe colour as it seems more durable but it seemed kind of stiff and misshapen when I put the wings in.

Any thoughts on which bag would be better, particularly if you own both? My style is kind of edgy. Part of my wonders if the Phantom has had its day and looks a bit dated now as I hardly see anyone carrying it anymore. The nano seems to be where it's at at the moment but I've just bought one of those for practicality for when baby arrives.

I don't own a phantom but I own a black trapeze with suede wings and a mini luggage. I've had the trapeze for 3 years now and the suede has held up well. Pic attached. I personally like the trapeze better just because I have the option to shoulder carry, which is really important when you're trying to juggle a bag and a baby. I rarely use my luggage anymore because it's a handcarry only and I need the shoulder option available whenever I have my son. I'm thinking the phantom would be similar. Just my opinion but hope that helps!ImageUploadedByPurseForum1445936065.863918.jpg

Hi ladies, I wanted one last bag splurge before my baby comes along! I like both of these bags but the only trapezes available in the boutique near to me have suede wings. How does the suede hold up over time? I was considering either black or beige. I'm not a fan of bright colours or the tri-colour ones. Also, does anyone know if there are any all-leather Trapezes in the UK in either black or beige?

Finally, the phantom is a bag I've been debating over for years. I was looking at the saffiano leather one in a taupe colour as it seems more durable but it seemed kind of stiff and misshapen when I put the wings in.

Any thoughts on which bag would be better, particularly if you own both? My style is kind of edgy. Part of my wonders if the Phantom has had its day and looks a bit dated now as I hardly see anyone carrying it anymore. The nano seems to be where it's at at the moment but I've just bought one of those for practicality for when baby arrives.

I have the Small Celine Trapeze in smooth black. I really love it because it can look both lady like and edgy. I also like that it has a top zip as well as a flap over for extra security. The long shoulder strap is great for when i am out with my baby as i can be hands free.

I don't own the Celine Phantom bag, but i think it is an absolute classic. It is edgy and stylish and big enough for work, travel or to carry extra baby things in. The only reason i don't own one is because my local Celine stockists only seems to stock the Phantom bag in Python Skin, which is extremely expensive and a bit out of my price range.

I love the look of the Phantom more as i feel it's a little more modern and stylish, but i absolutely adore my Celine Trapeze, i feel it goes with everything i wear. :smile:

I decided on the phantom! Went to the boutique today but had to walk away to make my decision as I'm torn between two Phantoms in different colours and leathers. I'm sorry I don't have pics but one of them is apparently goat leather and it's a bit more expensive - it's quite matte, very large bubbled/pebbled leather and it's in a colour the SA said was "grey" although it had definite khaki undertones. The pebbling was larger and heavier than the usual drummed leather - it was a nice texture. The celine logo was embossed and was in the same colour as the bag. Zip was gold. The other is a leather that's almost like the Prada saffiano leather and felt quite stiff with a smaller, flatter grain. Colour was described as taupe but I think it could be "dune." It was a beigey/light taupe colour with more brownish undertones with the Celine logo in silver and a silver zip. Sorry I don't have pics - I've googled and can't find the exact bags/leathers. I don't know which to choose! Such a shame I don't have pics.

Last edited:
I decided on the phantom! Went to the boutique today but had to walk away to make my decision as I'm torn between two Phantoms in different colours and leathers. I'm sorry I don't have pics but one of them is apparently goat leather and it's a bit more expensive - it's quite matte, very large bubbled/pebbled leather and it's in a colour the SA said was "grey" although it had definite khaki undertones. The pebbling was larger and heavier than the usual drummed leather - it was a nice texture. The celine logo was embossed and was in the same colour as the bag. Zip was gold. The other is a leather that's almost like the Prada saffiano leather and felt quite stiff with a smaller, flatter grain. Colour was described as taupe but I think it could be "dune." It was a beigey/light taupe colour with more brownish undertones with the Celine logo in silver and a silver zip. Sorry I don't have pics - I've googled and can't find the exact bags/leathers. I don't know which to choose! Such a shame I don't have pics.

I'm glad you chose the phantom, it's a much more practical bag than the trapeze. The trapeze is great if you don't need to access much in your bag while you're out, but it's inconvenient to open and close.

I have several phantoms including the saffiano one and it's pretty different from the others. It's lighter, and hardly slouches. So choose the saffiano if those things appeal to you but keep in mind those characteristics also make it less "phantom-like."

I'm glad you chose the phantom, it's a much more practical bag than the trapeze. The trapeze is great if you don't need to access much in your bag while you're out, but it's inconvenient to open and close.

I have several phantoms including the saffiano one and it's pretty different from the others. It's lighter, and hardly slouches. So choose the saffiano if those things appeal to you but keep in mind those characteristics also make it less "phantom-like."

I think the saffiano one might actually be drummed calfskin. It's got a grain to it but very small and it's quite stiff. I prefer more structured bags anyway. I don't like them to look too soft and floppy. I guess I was just wondering which would be the best colours - the grey which is more on the khaki side of grey or the taupe.