Renewal Passport Time

not trying to scare you but they are extremely back-logged with requests for passports right now because of legislative changes. there are a lot of people that filed in february that are now missing their may/june trips. my husband works for congress and said if you haven't received your passport w/in 3 weeks of your trip to contact your local congressman's office and request that they check the status themselves. apparently passports are being worked on not in order received (like they used to), they're being worked on in order of trip dates. hope this helps :smile: if you have any questions let me know, my husband works on passports here in va.

If i have dual citizenship in Taiwan, and im going to taiwan...I can use that passport instead right?

You can use your Taiwanese passport to leave the USA but you could face problems RE-ENTERING the USA. I am not an immigration lawyer but this is from my general understanding so do not leave the USA unless you have your American passport! Good luck!

not trying to scare you but they are extremely back-logged with requests for passports right now because of legislative changes. there are a lot of people that filed in february that are now missing their may/june trips. my husband works for congress and said if you haven't received your passport w/in 3 weeks of your trip to contact your local congressman's office and request that they check the status themselves. apparently passports are being worked on not in order received (like they used to), they're being worked on in order of trip dates. hope this helps :smile: if you have any questions let me know, my husband works on passports here in va.

My DH submitted his application in March w/o a travel date on his passport. Needless to say he still hasn't received it. I told him last week he should have put a travel date in his application.

Aw, thanks guys.

Well, Ill keep trying to call in tomorrow, i went shopping today, so didnt have a chance to call, yikes.

But, I will def. expedite it immediately once i figure out the whereabouts of my current passport.

I will keep trying to call and let you know how things are going!

Thanks!

Did you try tracking your passport through the government website? Here are the links:
http://travel.state.gov.com/
or better:
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/status/status_2567.html

Also:
National Passport Information Center
Contact Information for applications submitted in the U.S. (or its territories) only!

The toll-free phone number is 1-877-487-2778. For hearing impaired customers, please call TDD/TTY 1-888-874-7793.

Our hours of operations are 6 a.m. to 12 midnight, Eastern Time, Monday through Friday, excluding Federal Holidays

If i have dual citizenship in Taiwan, and im going to taiwan...I can use that passport instead right?

definitely, at least to enter taiwan. and if you have the appropriate visa/residence permits in that passport you should be fine entering the US too i'd imagine. but if you're going for a reasonably long time and someone will be at your house they could always courier your US passport to you in taiwan if it arrives too late?

Can I ask you a passport question?

I was on the phone hitting re-dial all day yesterday trying to get an appointment with the passport office.

I am leaving for a conference in Istanbul next week and one of my rescue pups chewed the corner of my passport.

There are teethmarks in the upper right hand corner, but nowhere near the barcode or picture.

Am I OK?

Our local passport office told me that there was no way that they could get a replacement in a week and wouldn't even look at it to tell me if I would have a problem getting on a plane with it.

THANKS!

ditto - i sent my ppt for renewal in FEB and just got it back 2 weeks ago :wtf: thank the lord i'm not travelling out of the country until august or i would have had heart failure!!

I called in today, after 3 hours I finally got in.

Yeah, once I have the date set with tickets set, I can expedite the renewal and get it here in 7 days.

Thanks guys!

Oh really! That's interesting to know, I'll tell my DH. So how can you expedite once the application has been submitted?

Lots of phone calls apparently. He is still in China but I can ping him for the exact specifics. Overall I know he originally sent his passport into the main office in Philidelphia (? - not sure correct city) but ended up contacting another office with his dilema. He had to drive to Houston for paperwork. Again - I will ping for more answers. :smile:

Can I ask you a passport question?

I was on the phone hitting re-dial all day yesterday trying to get an appointment with the passport office.

I am leaving for a conference in Istanbul next week and one of my rescue pups chewed the corner of my passport.

There are teethmarks in the upper right hand corner, but nowhere near the barcode or picture.

Am I OK?

Our local passport office told me that there was no way that they could get a replacement in a week and wouldn't even look at it to tell me if I would have a problem getting on a plane with it.

THANKS!

most likely you should be fine so long as its not near the barcode or picture. my husband said he'll look more into it tomorrow at work, i'll let you know if he comes back with anything different :smile: