Can you easily tell when someone is wearing an older Chanel?

May 23, 2015
At what point does it become pretty obvious someone is wearing an older version of classic flap? I noticed classic flaps from 10+ years back look kind of less puffy, though I'm not sure how much of it is age and how much is the change in style. Can you guys tell if a bag is 10, or 5 years old (assuming it's in very good condition, so regarding the style of the bag only)? Is it viewed any differently than a "current generation" classic flap?

I agree with tinyturtle . The hardware color and single flap would give away the age.

Is it viewed differently? Absolutely! The Chanel lovers swear by it. The quality was way better and more "made in France" goodies came out 10 years ago. Vintage pieces always take my breath away. My oldest Chanel bag is only 3-4 years old.

At what point does it become pretty obvious someone is wearing an older version of classic flap? I noticed classic flaps from 10+ years back look kind of less puffy, though I'm not sure how much of it is age and how much is the change in style. Can you guys tell if a bag is 10, or 5 years old (assuming it's in very good condition, so regarding the style of the bag only)? Is it viewed any differently than a "current generation" classic flap?
I think many Chanel lovers appreciate the older bags because they where made so much better.

I had a vintage XL Maxi GHW and got soooo many compliments when I would wear her.. however the flatting quilting was driving me mad... lol

There are many pros to the older Chanels
Single Flap making easier to get into your bag
Construction and quality was way better
The 24K Hardware
The bigger CC

If it's only a few years older I can't tell. But if it's a vintage piece the hardware gives it away for me. The darker gold and CC shape is richer/larger looking. But I LOVE vintage Chanel and tend to let me eyes linger on them more. :heart:

If it's only a few years older I can't tell. But if it's a vintage piece the hardware gives it away for me. The darker gold and CC shape is richer/larger looking. But I LOVE vintage Chanel and tend to let me eyes linger on them more. :heart:

+1

My eyes always linger on the vintage pieces longer as well. You can truly tell the diffrence with the vintage having the better leather, craftmanship and hardware. I only hope to get my hands on a beautiful vintage mint condition large flap one day at a good price. I really dont understand why Chanel steered away from the quality they had years ago. The current flaps just dont do it for me.

I can't usually tell until I'm closer to the bag, like if someone is standing in front of me. I prefer vintage bags, I can't get myself to pay full price on a bag with supposed lower quality and not real gold plated hardware! Mine here from the early to mid-90s. ImageUploadedByPurseForum1444527368.157956.jpg

I can't usually tell until I'm closer to the bag, like if someone is standing in front of me. I prefer vintage bags, I can't get myself to pay full price on a bag with supposed lower quality and not real gold plated hardware! Mine here from the early to mid-90s. View attachment 3153726

Ah so beautiful. I get what people mean when they say they prefer vintage. Is it just me or do they look more high end? Like the way a bag with that price tag is actually supposed to look.

I think it's obvious....but Im very familiar with Chanel...others may not see it...I have both and while I love my older (90's) bags, they are lamb and still in great condition, I love my new double flap caviar jumbos better...

As others have mentioned, you can pretty much tell the difference if you're a seasoned Chanel collector.

In my opinion, there is nothing better than a well-kept vintage black Chanel lambskin piece with 24K gold plated hardware. The lambskin feels so luxurious yet durable. They are by far my favorite bags in my collection.

Perhaps I'm alone in thinking this, but I cannot bring myself to purchase a new Chanel piece with the gold hardware that's sold today. I love my real gold, so I'm "stuck" purchasing vintage-ish bags if I want a particular style with GHW.

As others have mentioned, you can pretty much tell the difference if you're a seasoned Chanel collector.

In my opinion, there is nothing better than a well-kept vintage black Chanel lambskin piece with 24K gold plated hardware. The lambskin feels so luxurious yet durable. They are by far my favorite bags in my collection.

Perhaps I'm alone in thinking this, but I cannot bring myself to purchase a new Chanel piece with the gold hardware that's sold today. I love my real gold, so I'm "stuck" purchasing vintage-ish bags if I want a particular style with GHW.

I also absolutely love lambskin. I'm still considering caviar for my next purchase as I'm planning on it being my casual bag, but I think lambskin looks a lot better. The color seems deeper and more vibrant, and it feels so much nicer to touch.