Fakes that don't look fake???

Mar 28, 2015
I've never done that, but I have complimented a woman with an LV And she said it was fake and thanked me! I was shocked cause it looked so real! Not mad at her just wow.... it was an Alma, had to look it up because I'm not too familiar with LV except for the top 5 most popular bags :smile:

Anyway I don't care if you're rocking forever 21 or hermes, I won't judge you. Just shocked because you know, you can usually tell can't you? People are just getting too good at making them I guess.

(I didn't start this thread for drama just looking to chat.)

Has anyone else ever been fooled??

I honestly don't know if I have ever been fooled. Some bags unless you know what details to look for can come across as looking pretty close to the real deal. I find this especially with the fake vintage bags because people assume if a bag has a patina or vintage look it must be real but I have seen fake ones. This is why its so important when buying on ebay or other places to have the bag authenticated.

At least the woman admitted it was fake I guess :shrugs:

There are some fakes that are so good you'd swear were stolen rather than knock offs. I was walking around in Chinatown NYC and happened upon a shop (years ago before they got sneaky about selling fakes) and a mother and daughter were back for more knock offs. They were buying MC items and said they bought one that they had a real one of (why they wanted a fake when they had the real one, not sure)... but they said when they compared the real and fake side by side, there was zero difference.

There are some fakes that are so good you'd swear were stolen rather than knock offs. I was walking around in Chinatown NYC and happened upon a shop (years ago before they got sneaky about selling fakes) and a mother and daughter were back for more knock offs. They were buying MC items and said they bought one that they had a real one of (why they wanted a fake when they had the real one, not sure)... but they said when they compared the real and fake side by side, there was zero difference.

Oh yes I have done my strolls through Chinatown for the food though my fav Chinese restaurant the Peking Duck over on Mott street its delicious if you ever find yourself in Chinatown again. On my way there I have all kinds of people trying to pull me into the back rooms of stores to sell all kinds of counterfeit stuff I think they see my LV and assume im down there for that but I just want my wonton soup.

I have never seen a "perfect fake" but I have seen many excellent counterfeit bags. The big difference sometimes is in the craftsmanship (which can only be scrutinized up close) and the way the item wears... Most fakes break down in hideous ways.

Honestly, I m not too worried about fake handbags since I purchase from the boutique. I m worried about the epidemic counterfeiting problem we have: everything from car parts to medication is counterfeited. That's scary!!!

I remember watching on the news a few years back that A++ counterfeit goods were so good, that people could actual take them to real boutiques and have A/S performed on them.

When I was younger there was a rumor that a Korean counterfeit bag maker was so good, that Gucci scouted him? :rolleyes:

I might have been fooled in the streets but never up close (well I think :P ).
The best way to be sure is to get everything in store. Plus, nothing beats a great purchasing experience for me, it is also part of the appeal.

But then again the counterfeit industry copies everything ! I've recently seen a documentary with a fake Italian tomato sauce ! :amazed:

Oh yes I have done my strolls through Chinatown for the food though my fav Chinese restaurant the Peking Duck over on Mott street its delicious if you ever find yourself in Chinatown again. On my way there I have all kinds of people trying to pull me into the back rooms of stores to sell all kinds of counterfeit stuff I think they see my LV and assume im down there for that but I just want my wonton soup.

" I just want my wonton soup."

I seriously spat my tea out. Hilarious!

The best way to be sure is to get everything in store. Plus, nothing beats a great purchasing experience for me, it is also part of the appeal.

But then again the counterfeit industry copies everything ! I've recently seen a documentary with a fake Italian tomato sauce ! :amazed:
Oh heck, there are even counterfeit eggs in China. Eggs! I mean, how hard or expensive is it to let a chicken naturally lay one? Oh well, some people would try to sell you your own hand if they thought they could.
I've seen the "classic" Chinese fakes that most of us are familiar with, but I've also seen exceptionally good counterfeits as well. My friend has a "Speedy" and we put hers and mine side by side and the only tell was the stamping which wasn't as deep and the "O" was a little off. The colour of the thread was spot on, the handles are the same length/drop, the glazing is a match, the leather developed a patina, and the bag was stamped as MIU. She's used it almost everyday since she got it almost 4 years ago and I personally think it's holding up better than some authentic LV's. I would have never second-guessed it except that she confessed to it being a fake.

Tomato sauce? I wonder if its Raos tomato sauce? That is the only tomato sauce I can think of that someone would counterfeit I mean is it really necessary to counterfeit Ragu????

Oh heck, there are even counterfeit eggs in China. Eggs! I mean, how hard or expensive is it to let a chicken naturally lay one? Oh well, some people would try to sell you your own hand if they thought they could.
I've seen the "classic" Chinese fakes that most of us are familiar with, but I've also seen exceptionally good counterfeits as well. My friend has a "Speedy" and we put hers and mine side by side and the only tell was the stamping which wasn't as deep and the "O" was a little off. The colour of the thread was spot on, the handles are the same length/drop, the glazing is a match, the leather developed a patina, and the bag was stamped as MIU. She's used it almost everyday since she got it almost 4 years ago and I personally think it's holding up better than some authentic LV's. I would have never second-guessed it except that she confessed to it being a fake.

I had to google this, it's just crazy...! The lengths people would go for to fool consumers...

Superfakes are getting more common on auction websites, it is unfortunate. A lot of people think they are getting the real deal (with the hole in the bank account that goes with it) and they end up being fooled. It's sad :sad:

Food fakes on the other hand are just scary....

Tomato sauce? I wonder if its Raos tomato sauce? That is the only tomato sauce I can think of that someone would counterfeit I mean is it really necessary to counterfeit Ragu????

The documentary is in French but you can see "De Rica" 's tomato sauce at 28min54s.
I don't know if they are super premium tomato sauce producers....but still...just like the fake eggs, it baffles me.

I had to google this, it's just crazy...! The lengths people would go for to fool consumers...

Superfakes are getting more common on auction websites, it is unfortunate. A lot of people think they are getting the real deal (with the hole in the bank account that goes with it) and they end up being fooled. It's sad :sad:

Food fakes on the other hand are just scary....
Food fakes are likely going to kill you or make you incredibly sick.

Sadly a lot of these fakes are being sold, both intentionally and by accident, which makes me incredibly nervous buying anything pre-loved. My heart goes out to the people who are buying these with the belief that what they will receive is authentic, only to find out that their bag/wallet is disintegrating on them almost immediately.

Are you talking about Big Wong?? Yum... damn, I want some duck and soup now. I usually go several times a year to visit family there. Always gotta have my soup dumpings too! Though I prefer Shanghai Cafe on Mott too over Joe's.

Are you talking about Big Wong?? Yum... damn, I want some duck and soup now. I usually go several times a year to visit family there. Always gotta have my soup dumpings too! Though I prefer Shanghai Cafe on Mott too over Joe's.

No not Big Wong its the Peking Duck House and its abit more on the fancy side so its not your usual run in and get take out type of place its also abit more pricey. It is right on Mott.