Saint Laurent - Wallet on Chain

Sep 18, 2014
I didn't know buying a YSL dinner bag will be so confusing. All I just wanted is a YSL dinner bag.

My criteria for a dinner bag is as follows:
- Grain de Poudre material
- Matelassé stitching (Chevron pattern)
- Detachable chain as shoulder strap (Gold/Silver)
- Black bag
- Size: big enough to hold iPhone 6+, 1 lipstick, key pouch, 1 credit card and some $ notes

After days of research and countless YT videos, I finally realised that there are 2 main classic styles of YSL wallet on chain:

1) The FIRST is the Envelope Wallet
Measurement is 7.4 X 4.9 X 1.4 inches
It has 6 card slots, 1 zip coin pocket, 1 bill and 1 receipt compartment
RTP USD 1,250
7173e48b-bd6d-46d9-892f-30513231396f.jpg
dbe1fb60-4717-435b-b8cf-7583190b7a94.jpg

2) The SECOND is the Flap Wallet
Measurement is at 8.8 X 5.5 X 1.6 inches
It has 20 card slots, 1 coin pocket, 2 bill and 2 receipt compartments
RTP USD1,490
7e91a95c-2ecd-49e5-bcd1-60988b4d5134.jpg
121a6840-c630-4dfb-8554-3a7390a18ea7.jpg

Before all the research, I have assumed that they are the same bag :blush:

For those who have the above styles, can you give a quick comment on the pros and cons of it (whichever bag that you have) and will it fit all the things I've listed.

Hope this is also useful for those looking for information on choosing YSL WOCs ;)

Last edited:
I'm also open to the smaller bags:

3) Small Tassel Clutch in Crocodile
Measurement: 10.5 X 4.9 X 2.0 inches
1 slot pocket
RTP USD 1,990
4aca659e-be2e-409b-b0d9-1f7be8e13119.jpg
f927758c-107d-452f-abce-94b18ac4a441.jpg

4) Small Satchel
Measurement: 6.6 X 4.5 X 1.8 inches
1 slot pocket
RTP USD1,550
0c18d52c-4ec9-4382-8efe-0469ccf91c3c.jpg
16492b26-109f-43ef-b002-3f5ed08f27fc.jpg

Do let me know your thoughts on these 2 also!

Last edited:
Hello. I'm only familiar with bags 1 and 2 as I've also been looking at them recently.

From what I've gathered, 1 is actually the newer version of 2. 1 is smaller but has a longer strap. Both can be worn crossbody but if you want to use it as a clutch maybe the smaller 1 would look better.

I'm looking for a crossbody bag and prefer shorter chains so I'm leaning towards getting number 2.

I have number 2, it can be used as clutch or WOC. Although it looks spacious in the pictures, in reality its not. You diffidently can keep almost all your cards in this bag, but you only can carry few things with you. It fits my mobile, gum, lipstick and my car keys (without the key holder) and that's it! you cant carry more than that as you will not be able to close the bag.

Hello. I'm only familiar with bags 1 and 2 as I've also been looking at them recently.

From what I've gathered, 1 is actually the newer version of 2. 1 is smaller but has a longer strap. Both can be worn crossbody but if you want to use it as a clutch maybe the smaller 1 would look better.

I'm looking for a crossbody bag and prefer shorter chains so I'm leaning towards getting number 2.

Thanks! I've gotten bag 1 as it was closer to my budget at the time. It looks deceivingly small - it can hold quite a lot due to the way it's constructed at the bottom. And I decided, I won't be needing that much card slots if I'm gonna use it as a dinner bag.

Nevertheless, bag 2 is still on my to-buy list. I heard from my sales associate that Saint Laurent has re-adjusted the pricing due to rising USD and prices of bags have gone down :yahoo:

I have number 2, it can be used as clutch or WOC. Although it looks spacious in the pictures, in reality its not. You diffidently can keep almost all your cards in this bag, but you only can carry few things with you. It fits my mobile, gum, lipstick and my car keys (without the key holder) and that's it! you cant carry more than that as you will not be able to close the bag.

The car keys is always the issue - too bulgy :P

I like the strap on bag 2 though - looks sturdier?

I have number 3, it looks more stunning in person. Just bought it, and have not used it, but I think it would be a tight fit for 6+. but everything else would fit better.

It's gorgy!!! I saw it in boutique and I couldn't resist trying it out.

The chain is very weighty and I LOVE how the tassels fall over the bag.

I haven't have an iPhone 6+ yet - but I intend to change my phone next year. So if it's a tight fit, I might not go for it...

:shucks: have to save up more for the medium size to fit 6+ (at least they cost lesser than a Chanel)

It's gorgy!!! I saw it in boutique and I couldn't resist trying it out.

The chain is very weighty and I LOVE how the tassels fall over the bag.

I haven't have an iPhone 6+ yet - but I intend to change my phone next year. So if it's a tight fit, I might not go for it...

:shucks: have to save up more for the medium size to fit 6+ (at least they cost lesser than a Chanel)

I don't have a 6+. but my husband does, I can try it with his and let you know for sure.

I looked at both in the YSL store. I ended up buying Number 1. It actually expands and fits a lot more than it looks like. I fit a very small brush, phone, car keys (even with big click thing on the end:smile: and a lipstick. Also, the strap on No 1 is longer and easier to wear as a cross body. I am only 5'2, but the strap on No 2 hit me too high up. I have been very happy with this purchase. Good luck!!!

I looked at both in the YSL store. I ended up buying Number 1. It actually expands and fits a lot more than it looks like. I fit a very small brush, phone, car keys (even with big click thing on the end:smile: and a lipstick. Also, the strap on No 1 is longer and easier to wear as a cross body. I am only 5'2, but the strap on No 2 hit me too high up. I have been very happy with this purchase. Good luck!!!

Yes, that's what I felt when I tried it out in the stores earlier.

Number 1, though shorter in length, actually fits more!

I'm 5ft (shorter than you) and the length is quite ok for crossbody - still easy to get things out from the wallet.
Though I'm considering not attaching it to the chain if I ever need to use it for events.

Anyway, I just received a fantastic offer to buy a very good condition pre-loved piece (referring to Number 2) at an amazing price (almost half price actually).

The original owner told me it was used for only a couple of hours. Unable to believe it, I asked him for more information. There appears to be a long sad history behind it - that's why he prefers to sell it than to keep it.