TPF lawyers and lawyers-to-be, post here!

I haven't seen the Paper Chase but I hear it isn't accurate, at least not anymore. Is that based on Harvard Law? I know Harvard Law gets kind of a bad rap for being impersonal and cutthroat competitive, and apparently it used to be much more so, but I think the administration has addressed a lot of those issues in recent years.

Hi y'all! I'm gratefully out of law school and past the bar exam! Class of 2006 (so a baby lawyer)! I'm currently a law clerk for an Alaskan court, and once my clerkship ends I currently have no job prospects, but that's actually okay. I'm confident something will come up.

Law school -- so, I liked law school. I want to become a federal judge and I went to law school knowing that was my dream, so I never asked myself what I was doing there or what I would do with my life. But I did watch others, and I would recommend not going if you don't really want to be a lawyer and don't be ashamed to walk away if halfway through you realize that the law is not your dream profession -- don't become a miserable lawyer just because you have made it through so many years of law school.

About the children, currently, I have no plans for them. But I practice mostly criminal law and have plans to work for the government, which gives me a lot more freedom in timing and ability to be home and around if I do decide to have kids.

For all of the current (and future) law students: Good Luck!

Now I feel a little douchey for bringing Yale into the picture. I do think people work hard there, though, and are still happy, and other students I've talked to at other schools have said the same. I guess it probably boils down to the individual like anything else. Thanks for your congrats ;).

Don't feel bad, you should be very very very proud of yourself :smile:!

I haven't seen paper chase but my boyfriend told me about it and it sounds like my first semester.

I had this one professor for Federal rules of civil procedure. He was a NIGHTMARE!!!!! I used to throw up before class. More than once I burst into tears in the middle of class. Once I had to leave the room because I started sobbing.

This guy was so freaking hard on us. He would make you feel like complete and utter idiot if you were not on top of your cases. And I mean you had to be able to rattle off EVERY detail on command. Most profs let you give a general overview but this prof wanted every detail. I remember one time this guy was soooo scared his voice cracked and trembled as he attempted to defend his position. I felt so sorry for the poor guy but at the same time so glad it was not me.

When I fisrt started law school I used to cry every week. Sometimes it was from being humiliated in class but most of the time it was fear of being humiliated and fatigue that pushed me over the edge.

Even though I hated that professor, by the end of the semester I was able to defend my position without appearing nervous or afraid. I even got the best of him once and he admitted it in front of the whole class. I stopped hating him when I realized that he was forcing us to be fighters.
He used to yeall at the softspoken women to speak up, speak up and wouldn't stop until you did. I still get scared but I know how to fake it now.
Sorry I'm rambling....

I haven't seen paper chase but my boyfriend told me about it and it sounds like my first semester.

I had this one professor for Federal rules of civil procedure. He was a NIGHTMARE!!!!! I used to throw up before class. More than once I burst into tears in the middle of class. Once I had to leave the room because I started sobbing.

This guy was so freaking hard on us. He would make you feel like complete and utter idiot if you were not on top of your cases. And I mean you had to be able to rattle off EVERY detail on command. Most profs let you give a general overview but this prof wanted every detail. I remember one time this guy was soooo scared his voice cracked and trembled as he attempted to defend his position. I felt so sorry for the poor guy but at the same time so glad it was not me.

When I fisrt started law school I used to cry every week. Sometimes it was from being humiliated in class but most of the time it was fear of being humiliated and fatigue that pushed me over the edge.

Even though I hated that professor, by the end of the semester I was able to defend my position without appearing nervous or afraid. I even got the best of him once and he admitted it in front of the whole class. I stopped hating him when I realized that he was forcing us to be fighters.
He used to yeall at the softspoken women to speak up, speak up and wouldn't stop until you did. I still get scared but I know how to fake it now.
Sorry I'm rambling....

I think that italian and US system are very different! If you act like a fighter here you do the worst thing. Also we have the opposite of you about testimoniance (right word??) so it's funny because most of italians, because of so many Hollywood movies, think that our suits are like those on TV while it's 100% different!!!!!
Also I wonder, how do you do with the 50+ different Countries??? Do you study only the one of your own country? :confused1:

I used to throw up before class. More than once I burst into tears in the middle of class. Once I had to leave the room because I started sobbing.

During the whole two days I stayed in law school before dropping out I can't tell you how many women I heard in the halls saying they felt like they were going to puke (or just had). I was only 21 and was just totally overwhelmed.

I had been told by a former student of LSU law (where I went) that I should choose Loyola (where I was also accepted) and that they had a totally different philosophy. This former student said she would drink straight vodka every night at LSU and cry herself to sleep. She quit after her first semester and started all over at Loyola and did great.

Now that I'm older it's not as intimidating to me and I don't think I'd freak out like I did when I went to law school but I'm happy with what I'm doing now so I doubt I'll ever go back. If I do I might be so old everyone will ask who the granny is in class.

nerdphanie- I'm a 6th year associate in big law and DH is partner in big law. The point I always stress to prospective lawyers is that the practice of law (especially in big law) is hard work. It's not rocket science, but definitely long hours. Big law with its billable hour structure is inherently based on the number of hours you put in, and does not reward you for being brilliant or efficient (these two latter qualities are, without saying, expected in big law). Obviously, long hours will directly impact the amount of time you are able to spend with your family. That's something you need to consider when you have a family. I'm currently 3 months pregnant but not ready to leave big law anytime soon. I enjoy the practice too much. But the long hours at work and the diminished amount of I time I would be able to spend with my child once he's born is constantly weighing on my mind.

I graduated with a Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Business (Accounting) at the end of 2005 from Griffith University in Queensland, Australia.

The only part of law I really enjoyed was tax law - yes, I'm strange! :smile:

I now work as a tax consultant at one of the big 4 accounting firms, started here as a graduate in Feb 2006.

Law school in Australia isn't as hard core as in the US, because it isn't a post-graduate degree (well, it doesn't have to be). I started when I was 16 - I was lucky I only had uni, wasn't working, and although I studied a lot, I wasn't pulling all-nighters or anything.

In a few years I would like to go to NYU and do a Masters of Tax or something similar.....

I graduated with a Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Business (Accounting) at the end of 2005 from Griffith University in Queensland, Australia.

The only part of law I really enjoyed was tax law - yes, I'm strange! :smile:

I now work as a tax consultant at one of the big 4 accounting firms, started here as a graduate in Feb 2006.

Law school in Australia isn't as hard core as in the US, because it isn't a post-graduate degree (well, it doesn't have to be). I started when I was 16 - I was lucky I only had uni, wasn't working, and although I studied a lot, I wasn't pulling all-nighters or anything.

In a few years I would like to go to NYU and do a Masters of Tax or something similar.....

Guess I am strange too. I was a tax attorney at two major international law firms and I like tax too. I have my LL.M. in Taxation as well. Went back to get it after practicing for a few years, quitting and the travelling around the world for a few years. If you ever need any info, please feel free to PM me. btw, I have left the practice to do something else -- still legal related but less stressful.

nerdphanie- I'm a 6th year associate in big law and DH is partner in big law. The point I always stress to prospective lawyers is that the practice of law (especially in big law) is hard work. It's not rocket science, but definitely long hours. Big law with its billable hour structure is inherently based on the number of hours you put in, and does not reward you for being brilliant or efficient (these two latter qualities are, without saying, expected in big law). Obviously, long hours will directly impact the amount of time you are able to spend with your family. That's something you need to consider when you have a family. I'm currently 3 months pregnant but not ready to leave big law anytime soon. I enjoy the practice too much. But the long hours at work and the diminished amount of I time I would be able to spend with my child once he's born is constantly weighing on my mind.

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! :yahoo: Are you going to take time off after you give birth? I'm glad to hear you enjoy big law. I don't know if that's what I want to do, but it's definitely an attractive (and lucrative) option. Does your DH have better hours as a partner? Good luck with your pregnancy and child! I'm sure if you love your child and love your job, something will work out. That's what I tell myself, at least...

That's always something you have to consider, where you want to go after school. I just don't like the pace and the sacrifice of big law. You make less $$ but to me quality of life is a priority. I like to spend time @ home or with family and friends. Big law doesn't always leave time for that.

Unf., nowadays, hours are not much better for partners. True, you won't get fired if you don't meet your hours if you are a rain maker. But surprisingly even rain makers' comps may be impacted by hours that are too low.

If you don't have your heart set on big law, I think there are many career alternatives you can pursue that will give you work-life balance.

Unf., nowadays, hours are not much better for partners. True, you won't get fired if you don't meet your hours if you are a rain maker. But surprisingly even rain makers' comps may be impacted by hours that are too low.

If you don't have your heart set on big law, I think there are many career alternatives you can pursue that will give you work-life balance.

I could always snag a stay-at-home dad...wonder if my boyfriend's willing to give up his dream of being a doctor to take care of a few shorties. Unlikely? :shrugs: