Yellowing (Oxidizing) and Care of Light/White Bbags- Your experience and advice

Thanks everyone - and Jag!! (hmmm...that did NOT come out right!)

Some lucky soul (hope it was a PFer!! That always make it a little easier...) BINed the sky blue I was looking at right from under my nose! (in a good way...I spent too much time researching the "yellowing" factor), so, 'twas all for not! But I now have a good understanding of the potential risks with a couple of the paler colours.

Many thanks again.

Yes, the yellowing is caused on Bbags (post 2004) with glazing on the leather. The yellowing affect is caused by the UV rays oxidising the glaze. Actually, all glazed bags, when left in the sun / hot cars do gradually turn yellow. You can only notice it more on light bags. The best prevention is to buy a conditioning and polishing product that is gentle enough to use on a regular basis. You need to create a film of protection (not necessarily SPF protection) between your glaze and the natural elements. If you don't want a yucky boot-polish smell lingering, you can use a fragrance-free or lightly scented conditioner and polish that don't contain petro-chemicals. You can really feel and smell the difference!

I've owned Sky Blue and Ice Blue and have never had any issues with Sky Blue yellowing. My Ice Blue Day and Mini Coin Purse yellowed very quickly with barely any use or sun exposure. I was very disappointed as this is one of my favorite Bbag colors:crybaby:

I've owned Sky Blue and Ice Blue and have never had any issues with Sky Blue yellowing. My Ice Blue Day and Mini Coin Purse yellowed very quickly with barely any use or sun exposure. I was very disappointed as this is one of my favorite Bbag colors:crybaby:

Thanks to HG, KDC and everyone else. Your insight/knowledge is very much appreciated. I've never had any problem with fading...it just does not bother me as I like broken-in looking bags, but the yellowing reminds me far too much of my paternal grandmother's non-white hair...so, in order that I may avoid expensive and prolonged psychtherapy to deal with what is clearly a deeply twisted association, I will completely avoid both pale pink and ice blue. Damn. But MANY sincere thanks. I despise expensive mistakes/regrets! You're all wonderful...again...still...always.

I'm sorry to hear that, hope you will get the full refund as she promised :yes:

BTW, did you get the green apple hobo?? I didn't contact her quite long time, I just sell my cell number to her for selling my TQ twiggy. Hope to see you some day.

I had a sky blue city which had excessive yellowing! I had the bag re-dyed but it was never the same so my mum has it and she loves it!! I now have a sky blue day and the colour is fine maybe a little faded all over but the colour is very even! I think as long as you are good to her she will be fine!

Andy, it's good that the seller has given you some options about the bag. The condition of the bag has obviously made you very unhappy, so by all means return it and get your money back. I know that you've paid customs duties and shipping costs, but those are still less than what you've paid for this bag.

I'm CERTAIN that you'll find the Lilac of your dreams...

oh no....i'm so sorry this happens to u.....

i can't believe lilac can fade that much

but to cheer u up a little, it happened to me too!!

my 06 pale pink turned yellowish too (i had some pics of her in the forum if u wanna search and take a look)

so i had to let her go...

i hope it all works out for u :smile:

Yes, it does have quite a contrast. Glad you're getting your money back. That is pretty bad. I had the rose and literally watched it yellow day after day before my eyes. i hate that!

BUT if you didn't know better, that bag is gorgeous. I personally could NOT live with the yellowing but maybe to some its not so bad