Chanel to stop refinishing/refurbishing bags over 5 yrs old!?

I think chanel is slowing following the step of hermes. I went in a boutique in HK last month, and they also ask for receipt for repairs. Even i said my friend bought it for me and there is no receipt on hand, the SA asked for my friend's name and offered to check it on their system. I think Chanel is trying to eliminate resellers and encouraging people to purchase from boutiques. This made me hesitant in buying preloved chanel.

On the positive side, i think it can be a good thing. as some certain styles (black classic flaps, hot seasonal pieces) are massively purchased by 'buyers' of some second handed shops, which make us as Chanel loyal customers unable to purchase things we wanted.

Hi! Do you know if Chanel has an international system? Or only one system in each country?

I think this is also partly to slow down the amount of resellers too. Chanel does not want anyone other than authorized stores selling new bags. Very often people selling new bags at a profit do not have the receipt as they are marking up the bag. Chances are, if you buy the bag at a store, they are going to take care of you as their customer. Chanel is on a mission to eliminate these sellers.
So they don't want me to sell my bag, AND they won't restore it so i can keep using it?? Is this just to try and force us to buy brand new bags? This all makes me very uncomfortable.

I find this so hard to believe - no card OK, but no receipt? It's a little piece of paper that doesn't even prove it belongs to a certain item! Or will they start printing out serial numbers and send out e-mail receipts? Indeed that would mean Chanel would not only try to discourage buying preloved or through personal sellers, but also make it highly unattractive to buy at all as all bags then would get written off after 5 years.
Mind you, it would open up the market for independent Chanel service spas, as I don't see the second hand market slowing down soon.

Hmmm.

Big reason I paid exorbitant chanel boutique prices--this lifetime refurb. service.

Without it, just another brand with an inflated ego.

No way "just the bag" is worth current prices.

But, betting that if I stagger into a boutique, with original receipt from new purchase, someone will help to fix my bag.

Even in 10 years. If I give them more money. ;)

Lol, so agree!!!

I'm not saying it's definitely BS. Chanel (if they even read here) is not going to know who she or her "friend" is by a screen name. No need for the mysterious BS. If this is going to be a policy now, we will find out anyway.

+1 well said

I find it pretty hard to believe

Chanel isn't only sold in boutiques but also in department stores

So now Chanel is in the business of validating both department store receipts and all the international receipts before the repair besides authenticating the bags?

I'm sorry but I need more evidence to believe this! I'm seeing more rumors started by SAs than truth

Last edited:
I just sent my vintage Channel lamb skin quilted chevron camera bag to a CHANEL store on the east coast on 9/11. On my last contact which was yesterday it passed initial assessment and is now being reviewed by a certified CHANEL repair facility. I am waiting to hear on a cost! Perhaps I got mine there in time. Will continue to update

+1 well said

I find it pretty hard to believe

Chanel isn't only sold in boutiques but also in department stores

So now Chanel is in the business of validating both department store receipts and all the international receipts before the repair besides authenticating the bags?

I'm sorry but I need more evidence to believe this! I'm seeing more rumors started by SAs than truth

Already in Australia they won't take in any repairs without a receipt. I had a bit of trouble when I purchased a WOC from overseas. In the end I sourced a receipt with the same item number from a friend and they took that in gladly. Smh.
Maybe proof of purchase doesn't mean necessarily a receipt and they can just look you up in their computers? but then again, matthewlikesLV said they were already doing this in Australia??

Last edited:
I don't keep any receipts! I mean I need a box just to store these and the inks on receipts fade!!! I guess scanning them into my computer and store a soft copy is better than none. I will start doing so with my recent purchases.

I guess bags bought at department stores are still ok? I hope this rumor isn't true!

I was going to write the above, and I don't have the time or energy to be scanning receipts.:cry: I could do that after retirement, but I may not be buying many Chanel bags by that time. :wondering

Maybe proof of purchase doesn't mean necessarily a receipt and they can just look you up in their computers? but then again, matthewlikesLV said they were already doing this in Australia??

Nope Chanel and department stores are completely different systems in U.S. And no international record sharing either from what I know! That's why it's hard for me to believe at this point

So a bag I bought in 2009 from Neimans will not be serviced? Am I understanding this? They make a LOT of money on repairs as well.

Nope you are out of luck lady, you might as well put a patch to that hole yourself and wear it with pride lol 😈😈😈. I guess our old bags won't have much value now 😱 ha ha, just kidding. I will be going to the Botique this weekend I'll ask my SA about this.

Last edited:
I have never had occasion to use Chanel repair/refinishing anyway, as I didn't want to part with my bags for that long. We are lucky enough here to have a few expert repair services locally-one that is used by all the dept stores for repairs and the other a small expert leather repair and handbag design gentleman that performs miracles. They are quick, professional and so far have not charged me anywhere near the Chanel refurb prices. I can see where with vintage bags, you may be in search of replacing hardware etc, but does Chanel even do that anymore?

I'm happy to share the contacts if anyone need. They are based in LA.