Anyway to tell if my 12a jumbo was repainted?

Dluvch

Apr 11, 2015
Hi my dear fellow purse forum friends. I have a question, not sure if you can help. I purchased my 12a red jumbo from shophers. It had the tags attached brand new never used. However I noticed the color is brownish red in some lighting and compared to others posts of the same bag. My bag tends to look slightly darker (more brown) than the other pics where it is more candy apple red looking. I asked the owner if she had it repainted and she said no but I know they had lots of issues in 2012 with white specs on these bags. Also I noted that my bag had not one single white spec on it which I read that almost all had some amount of white spec which prompted owners to have their bags refinished for free by chanel. Is there anyway for me to tell if the bag was-repainted/refinished?

Also does anyone know if there were differences in the 12a red color due to color absorption? I tried to search the threads and saw info on the white specs issue but none on the color differences between one bag versus another.

I love my bag, I just have an issue with paying $6,300 for something that was supposed to be brand new when it was repainted and if I can prove it was repainted I can try to have shophers refund a portion given the bag was not as described.

TIA:hugs:

Oh Dira!! If it's repainted it's unacceptable and u should get ur money back!!! I am no expert and I don't have any knowledge of 12a jumbo but with the price u paid if shophers failed to provide the right info then they need to take the bag back!!! So sorry this happened! :hugs

Oh Dira!! If it's repainted it's unacceptable and u should get ur money back!!! I am no expert and I don't have any knowledge of 12a jumbo but with the price u paid if shophers failed to provide the right info then they need to take the bag back!!! So sorry this happened! :hugs

Ty eternal love:hbeat:! That's what bothers me, if it is repainted I can't justify the high price I paid, I can only justify paying it if it was brand new and not refinished.

My 12A caviar red maxi doesn't have any white specs. Thank God.

Thus, it is possible for 12A red caviar bags not to have white specs...Not sure how pervasive the white specs issue is...

While it's true some had the white specs, not nearly all did. I know some people got there bags replaced (exchanged) but I never heard of Chanel actually doing something to the bags in question. (re-dying or any other sort of process) but if people on the forum said they did, I could have missed that.

Anyway I'm not sure how you can tell for sure without any obvious signs, but see how it feels. Chanel re-dyes or cleanings are really like a paint job and the leather will feel stiffer afterwards. Look all around the hardware and grommets etc and see if it looks like any excess paint etc. is on them.

Alternatively maybe you can send the bag to Entinceler. I know they don't do higher serial # by pics anymore so by sending it to them, you can see if they have an opinion on the leather since they will have it in hand and also you can double check authenticity.

Good luck. The seller would be a real creep not to have disclosed this if this is indeed the case.

While it's true some had the white specs, not nearly all did. I know some people got there bags replaced (exchanged) but I never heard of Chanel actually doing something to the bags in question. (re-dying or any other sort of process) but if people on the forum said they did, I could have missed that.

Anyway I'm not sure how you can tell for sure without any obvious signs, but see how it feels. Chanel re-dyes or cleanings are really like a paint job and the leather will feel stiffer afterwards. Look all around the hardware and grommets etc and see if it looks like any excess paint etc. is on them.

Alternatively maybe you can send the bag to Entinceler. I know they don't do higher serial # by pics anymore so by sending it to them, you can see if they have an opinion on the leather since they will have it in hand and also you can double check authenticity.

Good luck. The seller would be a real creep not to have disclosed this if this is indeed the case.

Ty lallybelle, this is great advice! I will try to contact them and see what happens. Thanks again:smile:

i've had a few of my bags repainted and freshened up and you can always tell by the feel more than the look. it can come out looking almost identical, so you'd need to be able to tell by touch imo. lambskin gets very stiff after a paint job, but the caviar tends to soften a bit along the edges, if any edges were repainted. i would think that a local leather shop might be able to tell by looking if a bag has been retouched. maybe walk into some local leather shops and get some opinions?

i've had a few of my bags repainted and freshened up and you can always tell by the feel more than the look. it can come out looking almost identical, so you'd need to be able to tell by touch imo. lambskin gets very stiff after a paint job, but the caviar tends to soften a bit along the edges, if any edges were repainted. i would think that a local leather shop might be able to tell by looking if a bag has been retouched. maybe walk into some local leather shops and get some opinions?

Thank you so much ccbaggirl, I called chanel repair dept and the guy who worked there told me to bring it in and he'll try to see if he can tell if it was refinished. The bag looks different and photographs differently in various lighting so I agree it's hard to tell from just looks. I took this pic in my kitchen and I would say this most resembles what the color looks like in natural light. My sister told me to just enjoy the bag and I do love her (my sister and the bag) but just need to know the truth about whether it was refinished. This unfortunately is the downside to buying preloved :sad:

Last edited: