Would you include the original receipt for a bag you are selling if the buyer asks fo

Monaliceke

O.G.
Jun 28, 2007
I am hesitating if I should include my original receipt when I sell my bags because my full name and address is printed on it. I am wondering if it would be ok to cut out the part which contains my personal details. Can I ask fellow TPF members how do you normally handle this? Thanks a lot.

I have done both in the past.
One time, I cut out the bit with my name and address and then recently I put lines over my name and address with a thick black marker pen, checking that you couldn't still see the details underneath.
I have seen people take photocopies of receipts covering personal details.

Can I ask why? Some sellers clearly indicate they will give original receipt. What's the risk if I do?
You might need the receipt to prove authenticity if the buyer claims it is fake. Or the buyer might return the bag without the receipt and then you won't have it for the next buyer/authentication issue.

Can I ask why? Some sellers clearly indicate they will give original receipt. What's the risk if I do?

Here another issue I've seen in the past, a buyer can take your receipt and the bag into a boutique claiming to be you (or your gift recipient) if there are issues with the bag or they want an exchange, a repair etc.. imo it's never a great idea to put your purchase identity out into the unknown world like that. What if your account with the boutique is flagged or marked for any reason due to this? I would always retain the original (for reasons others have stated, or especially if I have other purchases on them) and then mark out personal information on a buyer's copy. :smile: (I think even if a seller online says it comes with the original receipt, more times than not they have removed their personal information from it.)

On the copy, in addition to redacting your personal information, also redact any other information that can identify you and/or your credit card information, i.e., the transaction number, register number, date and time of purchase, (leave month/year but remove date). Any of this info will allow the store to identify the original purchaser.

I can't understand why receipts are needed. And perhaps I'm not seeing what others are seeing.

For insurance or tax, buyers will have access to the very transactions you make with them so I don't understand why they need original receipts. Prices on those receipts are not what they pay for anyway. So what does that serve them?

And for repair...most brands don't ask for receipts. For authentication, the bags are what needed.

I've found resellers tend to ask for receipts as they plan to resell for higher profits. I guess that's their way of tricking next buyers that they are the original owners?

Only bags are needed for authentication.

If bags can be fake...I don't know why receipts can't be

You might need the receipt to prove authenticity if the buyer claims it is fake. Or the buyer might return the bag without the receipt and then you won't have it for the next buyer/authentication issue.

Reactions: Elena S
Only bags are needed for authentication.

If bags can be fake...I don't know why receipts can't be
Of course, that is true! The only reason I mentioned it is that some people have had to show receipts to paypal or Tradesy to prove their items were authentic. Apparently they were successful at proving their items were authentic by producing the receipt. Even if it is misguided, some people will accept a receipt as proof.