Graduating on time????

My husband has been at it 6 years now, he'll finally be done this year. It is really hard to go to school and work full time. I have an associates degree... it's gonna take me another 3 years to finish and get my bachelors!

I'm going to ask you what my father asked me when I first dropped out of college and cried about being behind. Who are you competing with? Things come up, things change, majors change... whats wrong with taking more than 4 years? It took me MONTHS to realize that the only person I'm in a race with is myself. Its hard to look at your education and think of yourself as being "behind everyone else". But what's the big deal? How long you take is up to you and how long everyone else takes is up to them. As long as you get it done, who cares?

LOL - that's so true. There will always be someone better than you, ahead of you, etc. :smile: You gotta do stuff for yourself and forget everyone else.

LOL - that's so true. There will always be someone better than you, ahead of you, etc. :smile: You gotta do stuff for yourself and forget everyone else.

Exactly! If you get there in the end, why does the length of time matter? You made it, you took the same classes as the people who took a shorter time, and you are just as qualified

I took 5 years to graduate, in part because I went to an engineering school with intense pre-reqs. Even though I decided to change my major my first year there, that made it impossible for me to graduate in less than 5 years.

I don't regret it, and I got into a great grad school and now have a great job, so I don't think my employers cared, either!

...every major is what you make of it. I know art and women's studies majors who have worked incredibly hard. I don't think it's right to say their degree was any easier to get. :nogood:

Actually, those majors ARE EASIER because they dont require alot of classes and units therefore, someone can EASILY get a bachelors in one of those in less then the typical 4 years. They are not comparable to a degree in biology, math,engineering, business etc...NO WAY..these majors, amongst many others, take alot longer and reuquire alot more classes therefore making it harder for someone to finish up before 4 years. You clearely missed my point.

It took me forever to get out. 6 LONG YEARS. Anyone who says that it's ridiculous it took me that long to get out can get a life. Why should you care how long it takes me? Does it affect your job position or life? Are you paying for it? Then let me take as long as I want to graduate.

MzSherry, I have had a number of reasons as to why it took me so long. I definitely got the 'I should have graduated' by now blues. I went through the I shouldn't have come home to take care of my sick grandmother or I shouldn't have changed my major or I shouldn't have taken this semester off. But these are growing experiences for you. And without them you wouldn't be the same person you are. There are going to be people who move faster at things then you.

You'll get out when the time is right for you. If you ever wanna talk, just PM me!

i got my bachelors & masters in 6 consecutive years from 2 different schools and honestly employers don't care if you finish in 4 yrs or in 6-7 yrs as long as they see a good gpa on your resume to get you through the door and you are qualified for the job.

Actually, those majors ARE EASIER because they dont require alot of classes and units therefore, someone can EASILY get a bachelors in one of those in less then the typical 4 years. They are not comparable to a degree in biology, math,engineering, business etc...NO WAY..these majors, amongst many others, take alot longer and reuquire alot more classes therefore making it harder for someone to finish up before 4 years. You clearely missed my point.

You are definitely correct that some majors require fewer classes and conceivably don't take as long to complete... My qualm was the fact that you said:

"Any legitimate major takes awhile to complete."

"( most, majors like art,women studies, social and life sciences are easier....let me not even get started on majors like liberal arts..are those even legitimate??)"

Your use of the word "legitimite" sounds like an attempt to discredit other majors as "not as good."

I think it also depends on the school: At my school, econ is considered one of the "lighter" degrees in terms of classes required.

OP: in the end, graduating on time is your graduation date, no matter what month and year. It's YOUR timeframe, YOUR education and YOUR opportunities. Go for it, be proud, take however long you need, and in the end, you will be happy because NO ONE can take your education away from you. Go get 'em!

I don't know what your major is, but some graduate programs such as psychology place a heavy emphasis on research. In that case it's better to take 5 years and get a lot of research experience instead of fitting everything into 4 and getting rejected from grad school and having to take a year off. Whatever your major is, it shouldn't matter how long you take to complete it.

You are definitely correct that some majors require fewer classes and conceivably don't take as long to complete... My qualm was the fact that you said:

"Any legitimate major takes awhile to complete."

"( most, majors like art,women studies, social and life sciences are easier....let me not even get started on majors like liberal arts..are those even legitimate??)"

Your use of the word "legitimite" sounds like an attempt to discredit other majors as "not as good."

I think it also depends on the school: At my school, econ is considered one of the "lighter" degrees in terms of classes required.

Light? ha, OK.
off topic slightly, but didnt you mention somewhere else in this forum that you are still in college and were graduating this year with a statistics degree and didnt know if you wanted to pursue law school etc?? But, then somewhere in this thread you said you graduated MANY years ago....hmmm...Im confused.

Nice try. I guess your econ/finance double major didn't teach you reading comprehension.

Light? ha, OK.
off topic slightly, but didnt you mention somewhere else in this forum that you are still in college and were graduating this year with a statistics degree and didnt know if you wanted to pursue law school etc?? But, then somewhere in this thread you said you graduated MANY years ago....hmmm...Im confused.