Having small kids and bags!! Question

alouette

What the VEEP?
Nov 28, 2006
Greetings,

So I'm expecting in Sept for the first time and have a coupel questions for all those experienced mothers out there :P!

First off, do you find it easier carrying a shoulder bag when lugging around things or do you find it doesn't matter if it's in the crook of arm, etc???? I don't know why I'm obsessed with this but if I'm buying a new bag, I want to make sure I'm not wasting my $ if I regret it later. :confused1:

So any suggestions or your personal experiences would be gratefully appreciated!

It's a toss up between the Chanel PST shoulder bag or the Fendi baby spy which is only handheld but extremely light and comfortable.

You will definitely need a shoulder bag. You don't want to have to set a bag down (especially a valuable one) while you are preoccupied with picking the baby up or otherwise taking care of his needs. Additionally, with a good shoulder bag you can reach inside it with one hand to get something while you are holding the baby, which can be a life-saver in many situations.

I carried a diaper bag for the last 6 years (3 babies in 4 years!), and I wouldn't recommend a hand-held or arm bag until a child can walk.

I had twins and then another baby when they were 2.5yrs old so had 3 little boys under 3! I personally favour a bag that can be put on the shoulder AND carried messenger style. Trying to strap a child into a car seat or buggy with a shoulder bag that keep slipping off is very irritating! It also means i can have 2 hands free when necessary. Also something that can be wiped clean is a bonus as vomit, snot and leaky nappies will occur (hopefully not all at the same time!) I've just discovered orla kiely bags and think they are ideal for me day to day with the kids. I save my nice 'higher' end bags for child-free days which are few and far between at the moment but hopefully when number 3 starts school in another 2 years I'll have lots of! Congratulations on the impending arrival of your baby and have fun choosing a bag!!!

Mom of 2 little ones here.. you will definitely be better off with a shoulder or messenger style bag. I would also warn you against getting anything you wouldn't want stains, spills, spitup & dirt on!:smile: A microfiber bag is really durable. If you want to go designer, Chanel makes microfiber bags from their travel line I would highly recommend.

Even when your child starts walking, I wouldn't recommend a hand held bag. You will still be carrying & picking up your child quite a bit. Not to mention the little tumbles they take & mommy has to come to the rescue. You definitely need both hands (& arms!) free & ready to go!

Congrats on the little one!

Thanks guys! It seems like there's just so much to learn. I felt so stupid pondering this question but I knew you wonderful people would understand my predicament. ;):yes:

You should spoil yourself and buy a nice bag, but realize that you will probably have at least one other bag, for those not-so-nice visits to zoos, parks, etc. If you have a budget, maybe breaking it up for 2-3 bags may not be bad.

Certainly not in the realm of the Chanel and Spy are cool diaper bags that are worth considering (leather but with more pockets, possibly lined interiors):
Debbie Rott
Not Rational- particularly naked leather
Cameron Nicole
Ramalama (love these!)
Hammitt
Mia Bossi (these are pretty huge)

Definatley a good sized shoulder bag. Bucket bags or hobos are roomy enough but still look stylish.
A single strap usually works better too. I would get a mid priced larger shoulder bag that you can carry the babys bits in, but not a bag that you would cry your heart out if baby lotion was split inside, and then treat yourself to your dream handbag after having the baby. It can be your 'well-done-me'' present to yourself.

Oops! I was so excited about naming bags, I forgot to answer the question - yes, definitely a shoulder bag and possibly one that could have the strap extended to make it a messenger bag as well. any of the bag organizers mentioned in previous posts (chameleon inserts, pursekets, diapees and wipees, etc.) are good to help organize non-baby bags into something for the baby.

But don't buy a bunch of stuff all at once (this same rule holds true of all things, not just bags!) - you will need to find out just how much you carry and your baby's needs. Even schlepping around a not-so-nice bag for a week is a good way to determine exactly what you will need in it and how to pack!

Congratulations! :P

First of all, congrats on your baby. I had my first 10 years ago this coming September! If you want my honest advice I wouldn't spend too much on a baby bag. Go to BabyStyle.com and purchase a reasonable one that is also really cute. Babies are messy and the bags get that way too. I just threw a clutch/ wallet in the baby bag and carried a nice handbag when I wasn't with my kids. Now that my youngest is 4 I can carry anything.
Good luck!!!!