Valentino Rockstud caged flats (questions)

brigadeiro

O.G.
Apr 20, 2007
Hi there,

I ran several searches, and haven't quite found the answers to my question, so hope you don't mind, have started this thread.

I have the Rockstuds in patent in the kitten heel and find them uber comfy (I mostly use flats nowadays) :love:. I am now planning on getting one or more pairs in the caged flats and had a few questions:

1) Should I stick to the same size as the kitten heel ones (I also want the flats in patent)? I found those TTS and stuck to my usual size.

2) Is it true the caged flats are not as comfy as the kitten heeled pairs?

3) Have you found your caged ballerina flats easy to wear (as in versatile with different outfits)? I'm a little worried that they won't be as flattering as they won't be leg-lengthening, but hope they're not confined to being worn with pants.

Thanks in advance! :flowers:

Hi there,

I ran several searches, and haven't quite found the answers to my question, so hope you don't mind, have started this thread.

I have the Rockstuds in patent in the kitten heel and find them uber comfy (I mostly use flats nowadays) :love:. I am now planning on getting one or more pairs in the caged flats and had a few questions:

1) Should I stick to the same size as the kitten heel ones (I also want the flats in patent)? I found those TTS and stuck to my usual size.

3) Have you found your caged ballerina flats easy to wear (as in versatile with different outfits)? I'm a little worried that they won't be as flattering as they won't be leg-lengthening, but hope they're not confined to being worn with pants.

Thanks in advance! :flowers:
1. i did 1/2 size down to kitten heels but i did not find the kitten heels were tts.
2. yes
3. you can wear them with whatever, they're just not as flattering than the heels

Thanks for the reply gymangel812! How surprising that the flats are not as comfy as the heeled version, one would normally think the opposite! :P
slingbacks are generally more comfy (to me at least) than flats or heels. i do find the non caged non patent flats one of the most comfy flats i've worn (and my feet usually hate flats)

Last edited:
I only have the high heels and have to go down half a size for the flats. I tried them on this weekend and they are very edgy and cool, but I am too worried about the flat creasing on the front (which I he's doesn't happen with patent so you should be ok). I thought they were comfortablez

I only have the high heels and have to go down half a size for the flats. I tried them on this weekend and they are very edgy and cool, but I am too worried about the flat creasing on the front (which I he's doesn't happen with patent so you should be ok). I thought they were comfortablez
Thanks for the reply LovEmAll! :flowers:

Hi there,Thanks in advance! :flowers:

If you have a medium to wide feet , you need to have a 0.5 plus size.
The cage is narrower than the kitten heels and squeeze the side of the foot.
It should be no problem if you have a slim feet.
The best resolution is to try it in a store. The patent cage is a little bit bigger than the normal leather cage too.

For me ..yes , yes and yes. The kitten heels and high-heel are more confy to walk esp. when you have high-arch feet , it"ll be pain to walk in that hard-narrow flat cage.
Before I buy this , I have read many comments here for cage and I aware of the disadvantage . But I do have fix the shoes on my own .

first, I went to the shoes reparing store to enlarge the side of it .
Then I use the arch-cushion under my feet to make it more comfortable to walk.

Now it's almost perfect !

It's a flat , so it will definitly not lenghten your leg :biggrin:but the beauty of it intrique me . So it is my first valentino pieces.

I have a ligh pink cage with light gold HW, so it can match every items in my wardrobe . Also with my short black dress. I can wear it often with pants, shorts, jeans ,dress. Both in work-place and casual , with no problem with that ( depends on your occupation too ;) ) , I live in tropical zone .

And I can assure you , the cage is soo flarrering . I have many compliments when I wear it . The syle is quite out-standing .

HTH,
Kitty

Hi!

I personally stuck to the same size (38.5) with both of them, just be aware that there will be a closed off feeling.

Very true, I thought that the flats would be as nice as the kitten heels and on my vacation in Florence to the outlet decided to wear my orange RS flats. Lets just say that I ended up buying a pair of gucci soft sneakers right there after an hour and ended up wearing those the whole day. I did end up with two lovely gashes which later turned into permeant scars on both my feet so make sure to break them in and wear them well before any extended periods of time.

They're just as flattering but as with any heel vs flat, the heel is much better looking. The flats are cute/casual and I love wearing them with any outfit!

Hope this helps and that you enjoy whatever you choose to get! I'd say build up a collection of both! :smile:

I can't speak for sizing but I can tell you these suckers were INSANELY uncomfortable when I first bought them. Like, cutting into my feet painful. However, beauty requires some pain on occasion so I toughed it out and I can honestly say these shoes are now very comfortable and I have no problem wearing them all day. I attest it to the patent being kind of stiff in my case.

I find these really easy to wear. I opted for the nude so it doesn't "cut off" the leg length too much since I'm not really tall (5"). They're dressy casual IMO and great for day time. I usually wear them with skinnies that I've had hemmed to ankle length, flirty skirts, bodycon dresses etc..

My cage flats are 1/2 size larger than my kitten heel and regular heel RS. I did find them initially less comfortable than my other pairs, feeling stiffer. I do have two pair-one in leather and one in a leopard print. I find them very wearable, both with dresses and jeans or pants. They're a great option when I just don't feel like wearing heels. I would say I have an average width foot.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

UPDATE:
Unfortunately I only read the ones saying that they ran small AFTER I bought mine in my true size. I bought it from Selfridges, and when I requested to exchange for half a size bigger, they said I could only return, not exchange. I was going to return mine and purchase the next half size up, and then within a few hours, both pairs sold out!

Anyway, after several days of breaking them in (using my hairdryer trick), I have finally done so and stretched them a bit (so they're now good to wear) :tup:

So if anyone stumbles on this thread with the same question I had I say: yes, the patent caged flats run small to size, I'd say half a size small.

I have a question re: caged flats as well. I'm interested in nero (non-patent). Do these fit true to size or big? I've never worn Valentinos. I usually wear Chanel flats which I go up a size to 6.5
I don't want to buy a pair and have it stretch out. Thank you!

I have a question re: caged flats as well. I'm interested in nero (non-patent). Do these fit true to size or big? I've never worn Valentinos. I usually wear Chanel flats which I go up a size to 6.5
I don't want to buy a pair and have it stretch out. Thank you!

Can't answer for everyone, but I have the rockstud noir (not patent) in the caged flat and a leopard print calfhair, and both of mine ran small. I sized up a half a size. I find the regular flats run big, but not the caged flats.

I found the mid heel to fit more TTS than the caged flats. I found the caged flats to be narrower, and actually pinched. They do stretch, because when I try them on at the store, generally one will fit better, the one tried on. Flats are hard on your feet, don't wear them all the time. They are very cool indeed, love the look, but not as comfortable as I would like, but like the other OP mentioned, take them into be stretched etc and that will help. Definitely an eye-catcher, though!