Ever wonder why Paddy Colors are so hard to photograph? Or Kelvin 101

hmwe46

why bother
O.G.
Jun 27, 2006
I did!!

As many of you know I love to take pics of my handbags (and my dogs and other stuff too!).

But it drives me NUTS that it's sooo hard to take a pic of my bags showing the true-to-life color.

Turns out that cutting Chem class in HS was a mistake :supacool:

There is actually a chemical reason why it's sooo take good pics of your whites, blues, and esp rouge bags and on and on down the gorgeous Chloe color wheel.

I was reading, "Rebel Without a Crew" and Robert Rodriquez writes, "with indoor film a regular light bulb registers red on film".

Check this out:

We know that if you mix equal amounts of red, green and blue light, you get white light. Color photography, film, and printing, as well as Photoshop, are based upon R + G + B = W. However, there is no such thing as white light.

Cyan Absorbs Red
Yellow Absorbs Blue
Magenta Absorbs Green
Red Absorbs Blue and Green
Green Absorbs Red and Blue
Blue Absorbs Red and Green

If you walk into an office lit with fluorescent tubes, you will find yourself in a world filled with green light. Your eyes may not see it, but your camera will.

Outdoor light has a blue tint.

Your living room probably has incandescent lights that has a yellow to orange cast.

Most video cameras see 3,200 degrees Kelvin light as standard light under which white is white. If you white balance your camera under 3,200 degrees Kelvin, most everything will appear the correct color!!

check out these two pics of the same rouge paddy:

IMG_4402.jpg

rouge040.jpg

mmmmm....rouge paddy...:shame: I'm so happy I snagged one from the AlohaRag sale!

So, the 1st pic is in natural light and the 2nd is incandescent? With the 1st pic, I see blue undertones while in the 2nd pic, it looks more orangey...