Authenticate This COACH - **see first post for format**

IMPORTANT READ-ME

Please post authenticity questions related to COACH in this thread. No PMs please.
For further information, please refer to the first post on page 1 of this thread.

Please follow the following requests:
  • Before you submit a request for authentication, please search this thread to make sure that the item has not previously been authenticated by searching the seller ID and/or item number. This is not a thread to ask general questions about COACH, please refer to our main Coach forum for such information.
  • Note that authenticators have the right to refuse any requests. This is a free service, but it is imperative that you help our authenticators by using the following format:
  • FOR ITEMS LISTED ONLINE:
    Item:
    Listing number:
    Seller and site where listed
    Link:
    Comments:

• FOR ITEMS NOT LISTED ONLINE:
    Item:
    Where purchased or how obtained
    Comments:
BASIC PICTURES REQUIRED (but more may be requested): If necessary pictures are in the listing, it's not necessary to upload and duplicate them.
  • Front of item
  • Back of item
  • Full clear and legible creed text and serial number
  • Made in tags (when available)
  • Measurements
  • For bags with turnlock closures, show pictures of back of female side of turnlock
  • For bags with magnetic snaps, show pictures of the male part of the snap so that the numbers and letters on it can be read
  • If applicable, search interior of bag and/or pockets for small white tag with production information and include a picture of that.
Thank you and be safe!

Please authenticate this little navy Rambler. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 1418921178661.jpg
    1418921178661.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,860
  • 1418921188554.jpg
    1418921188554.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,880
  • 1418921202178.jpg
    1418921202178.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 1,886
One more! Thank you again

Black, nice thick leather.

Attachments

• 1418921684551.jpg
    1418921684551.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,827
  • 1418921694051.jpg
    1418921694051.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,827
  • 1418921706932.jpg
    1418921706932.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,838
  • 1418921727687.jpg
    1418921727687.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,841
  • 1418921744918.jpg
    1418921744918.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,841

One more! Thank you again

Black, nice thick leather.

The second one seems ok.

I'm not happy about the Rambler. The serial font is different from known genuine bags from that plant and year and the spacing of the letters in the creed looks sloppy and unprofesssional and not up to Coach's standards. It almost looks like two slightly different fonts were used. Can you post a photo of the back of the turnlock, please?.

One suggestion - this is NOT a rule and there are a few plant serial formats that are exceptions and are genuine, but IN MOST CASES, when you have a long underscore (the same width as the "o") under the lower-case "o" in "No" in classic leather bags made before about 2000, there's a better than 50-50- chance that the bag is fake or strongly suspicious. I do NOT recommend buying those bags without authenticating them here first.

Again, THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS! Genuine bags from the D plant made from 2000 to about 2003 will have the longer underscore (in fact that time period at the D plant was a mess, the stampers threw spaces and dashes around like they were frisbees, and you can get three or four completely genuine bags from 2000-D and they'll all have different formatting). Many genuine bags from the early years of Chinese production will also have the full-length underscore line. But in US-made bags from 1999 or before it can mean there's a problem.

The two pictures below show what I mean, the first is a known fake and uses the same serial font as the Rambler, the second is genuine. Notice the difference in the widths of the letters in the creed statement in the fake too, the words "united states" are especially squished. You don't see that in genuine creeds from the same plant and year.

Attachments

• 1999_C-plant-US-J9C-9870-sm.jpg
    1999_C-plant-US-J9C-9870-sm.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,900
  • 1999_C-plant-FAKE-E9C-5266-a.jpg
    1999_C-plant-FAKE-E9C-5266-a.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 1,904
Last edited:
Reactions: Ronick79 and Breazy
The second one seems ok.

I'm not happy about the Rambler. The serial font is different from known genuine bags from that plant and year and the spacing of the letters in the creed looks sloppy and unprofesssional and not up to Coach's standards. It almost looks like two slightly different fonts were used. Can you post a photo of the back of the turnlock, please?.

One suggestion - this is NOT a rule and there are a few plant serial formats that are exceptions and are genuine, but in MOST cases, when you have a long underscore under the lower-case "o" in "No" in classic leather bags made before about 2001, there's a better than 50-50- chance that the bag is fake or strongly suspicious. I do NOT recommend buying those bags without authenticating them here first.

Crossing my fingers on the Rambler. But, I'll chalk it up to a learning experience if it's not genuine. Thanks for looking and teaching me!

Attachments

• 1418924687378.jpg
    1418924687378.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,828
  • 1418924711849.jpg
    1418924711849.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,837
Crossing my fingers on the Rambler. But, I'll chalk it up to a learning experience if it's not genuine. Thanks for looking and teaching me!

The turnlock looks like it has the right detail but the creed and serial problems are the most important. If the turnlock back had indentations it would have been an even bigger problem. Sorry, but it's questionable at best.

Other opinions are welcome.

Reactions: Ronick79

The second one seems ok.

One suggestion - this is NOT a rule and there are a few plant serial formats that are exceptions and are genuine, but IN MOST CASES, when you have a long underscore (the same width as the "o") under the lower-case "o" in "No" in classic leather bags made before about 2000, there's a better than 50-50- chance that the bag is fake or strongly suspicious. I do NOT recommend buying those bags without authenticating them here first.

Again, THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS! Genuine bags from the D plant made from 2000 to about 2003 will have the longer underscore (in fact that time period at the D plant was a mess, the stampers threw spaces and dashes around like they were frisbees, and you can get three or four completely genuine bags from 2000-D and they'll all have different formatting). Many genuine bags from the early years of Chinese production will also have the full-length underscore line. But in US-made bags from 1999 or before it can mean there's a problem.

The two pictures below show what I mean, the first is a known fake and uses the same serial font as the Rambler, the second is genuine. Notice the difference in the widths of the letters in the creed statement in the fake too, the words "united states" are especially squished. You don't see that in genuine creeds from the same plant and year.

The turnlock looks like it has the right detail but the creed and serial problems are the most important. If the turnlock back had indentations it would have been an even bigger problem. Sorry, but it's questionable at best.

Other opinions are welcome.
I agree. I've attached a creed from the same month and plant as yours and there are many differences. My Rambler's Legacy was made a few months after yours and it matches the creed I've posted.

There might be other problems with the bag that we aren't seeing in your pictures. It would help if you have another Rambler's Legacy to compare to. Can you check the buckles to make sure nothing is stamped on them? Are there two rows of stitching on the suede above the zipper? Often the hardware will be slightly different from the hardware Coach used. Check for breaks in the piping and where the join seams are.

Attachments

• C plant 1999 station030.jpg
    C plant 1999 station030.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,850
Reactions: Robin turner
I agree. I've attached a creed from the same month and plant as yours and there are many differences. My Rambler's Legacy was made a few months after yours and it matches the creed I've posted.

There might be other problems with the bag that we aren't seeing in your pictures. It would help if you have another Rambler's Legacy to compare to. Can you check the buckles to make sure nothing is stamped on them? Are there two rows of stitching on the suede above the zipper? Often the hardware will be slightly different from the hardware Coach used. Check for breaks in the piping and where the join seams are.

I'll take a closer look at the details mentioned. It is nice leather and I'm loving the navy so it will stay in my personal collection. If I every find an easier to authenticate one to replace it, I'll make tassels out of this one so there isn't any worry that someone else would end up with a questionable bag. Thank you so much for helping me with this Rambler/Rambler-want-to-be. I appreciate the time you all put in to help us!

Hi!
I'm a new Coach addict (someone please stop me if they know how), and I was wondering if I could get this authenticated. Also, if anyone knows the name of the bag, that would be great.

Item: Coach British Tan Leather Legacy Large Satchel
Listing number: 201244932010, I think?
Seller: britreb
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coach-Briti...pMfC8skCBtXjug%2Fb53o%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Comments: I don't think it's actually legacy, because doesn't all the legacy stuff have the striped lining?

Thank you very much!

Hi!
I'm a new Coach addict (someone please stop me if they know how), and I was wondering if I could get this authenticated. Also, if anyone knows the name of the bag, that would be great.

Item: Coach British Tan Leather Legacy Large Satchel
Listing number: 201244932010, I think?
Seller: britreb
Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coach-Briti...pMfC8skCBtXjug%2Fb53o%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Comments: I don't think it's actually legacy, because doesn't all the legacy stuff have the striped lining?

Thank you very much!

Coach has been using the Legacy designation in bags since at least 1994 and didn't start using the striped linings until their 65th Anniversary year of 2006, so no, not all "Legacy" bags have striped linings. And only a small number of styles made after 2006 that use the Legacy name have striped linings.

Coach reuses names like that over and over and often for completely different and unconnected styles. Don't ever assume that all Legacys or Madisons or Poppys or any other style are going to be related or that they should have similar details. Often they're completely different, names are just there for decoration.

Since the seller didn't have the experience or common sense to show a clear readable photo of the creed patch and serial number, it's very hard to give a solid authentication. We'd have to see that to be sure. If you can ask the seller to either add a good creed photo to the listing or send one to you we can take another look. I don't see any obvious problems but that's not solid proof that it's genuine.

I have a brown leather belt I found while out thrift store shopping today and hoping I can get it authenticated here. Thank you.

Attachments

• CoachBelt8503#1.jpg
    CoachBelt8503#1.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,772
  • CoachBelt8503#2.jpg
    CoachBelt8503#2.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 1,762
  • CoachBelt8503#3.jpg
    CoachBelt8503#3.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,781
Reactions: Robin turner