Hand-Painted or Not -- Be Clear Please!!

loungegirl

O.G.
Oct 24, 2006
Hi Goyard fans and/or Experts,

I'm very new to Goyard and would like clarity on whether Goyard's logo dot pattern is actually hand-painted by individual artisans. I know the personalized initials and stripes and other special requests/customized designs are hand-painted (using stencils... link: http://www.sfgate.com/style/article/Goyard-monograms-ABCs-of-luxury-4430607.php ), but is the Goyard logo design (all the dots) on the canvas actually hand-painted or is it printed on? I tried to research on this forum and although many seem to believe that all Goyard pieces are hand-painted, noone has provided any proof or link to support their belief. And there is NO clear indication or confirmation of this on Goyard's website or wikipedia. If each dot pattern is indeed painstakingly hand-painted on the canvas, why would Goyard not proudly and explicitly indicate this on their website? If it is indeed hand-painted - something surely Goyard should be proud of - why is there no mention of how long it takes to hand-paint each bag and therefore to justify its exclusivity, luxury and price? I find it hard to believe that such important detail, if it is indeed true, is so vague or missed in their marketing department.

Why is this information so unclear and so difficult to find?

To those who believe or say that the Goyard logo dot pattern is hand-painted, please provide a link to confirm this as I can't seem to find this information anywhere. Thanks for your help!

Edited for adding this info:
Taken from Goyard's website:
Like all family secrets, the exact manufacturing process of the Goyardine remains strictly confidential. Though it was originally hand-painted, the current process requires a ground-colour application, followed by three successive layers of etching colours that create its trademark slightly raised pattern.

My thoughts: So, the logo dot pattern it is NOT or no longer hand-painted. Goyard does not mention WHEN they stopped this hand-painting, and remains vague and secretive in their "exact manufacturing process". They are very clear and proud on having artisans paint the initials/customization part but avoids being straightforward that the dot pattern is simply printed on the canvas. So why do people believe it is still handpainted when Goyard cannot even confirm this??

Last edited:
They stopped hand painting their canvas at around 2006. Now they use stencils to manufacture the canvas, which is not clearly mentioned on their site. Although they never came with a reason for this change, it's pretty obvious they made this change because of the growing interest in Goyard products. With their old process they were not able to satisfy the customer demand, because it was to labor-intensive.
I personally like the canvas nowadays, it looks much more consistent which I like.

You can see a glimp of the stencil they use nowadays, it is shown in this YouTube video at around 00:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL7cDzSXdck

Thank you MrVuitton, for providing some insight on this. The fact that Goyard is so vague and secretive about their manufacturing process simply tells me they are trying to mislead people to think or continue to think they are still hand painting their products - especially for those who are ignorant or new to the brand. I am very new to Goyard - and after hearing that their products are (supposedly) hand-painted, I became intrigued so I did my research. Unfortunately, there are many articles and reviews (written beyond 2006) on the internet that still states everything of Goyard is hand-painted. Even on this forum, when I searched on this topic, everyone seemed to believe everything is hand-painted.

From a business perspective, I can definitely understand why Goyard has changed its manufacturing process, but I am a bit annoyed that Goyard has kept this information so unclear and deceiving, and "allowing" for so much misconception. Even true fans of Goyard are fooled. And a relative of mine was told by a SA that their purses are all hand-painted. If I choose to buy Goyard, I want to buy for the right reasons and facts. Hand-painting to me, means painting freehand... NOT using stencils, stamping or printing, or any other "secretive", complicated process.

Reactions: PetiteAsian
I went to to their painting demonstration this past summer in Paris.
They are not free painted as they were in years past.
But I don't think they are hiding this change.

Thank you MrVuitton, for providing some insight on this. The fact that Goyard is so vague and secretive about their manufacturing process simply tells me they are trying to mislead people to think or continue to think they are still hand painting their products - especially for those who are ignorant or new to the brand. I am very new to Goyard - and after hearing that their products are (supposedly) hand-painted, I became intrigued so I did my research. Unfortunately, there are many articles and reviews (written beyond 2006) on the internet that still states everything of Goyard is hand-painted. Even on this forum, when I searched on this topic, everyone seemed to believe everything is hand-painted.

From a business perspective, I can definitely understand why Goyard has changed its manufacturing process, but I am a bit annoyed that Goyard has kept this information so unclear and deceiving, and "allowing" for so much misconception. Even true fans of Goyard are fooled. And a relative of mine was told by a SA that their purses are all hand-painted. If I choose to buy Goyard, I want to buy for the right reasons and facts. Hand-painting to me, means painting freehand... NOT using stencils, stamping or printing, or any other "secretive", complicated process.
I'm glad you're doing your research before making your purchase. However, Goyard has not been hiding this information about how the chevron design is made nor are they deceiving people.

On a recent trip to Paris, my husband asked the German SA about this and she clarified that Goyard bags and trunks are made by 'Handwerker' or artisan - everything was made and built by hand. The dots of the chevron design was not, however, individually hand-painted as a stencil was used and painted on by hand (as the others have mentioned).

I'm glad you're doing your research before making your purchase. However, Goyard has not been hiding this information about how the chevron design is made nor are they deceiving people.

On a recent trip to Paris, my husband asked the German SA about this and she clarified that Goyard bags and trunks are made by 'Handwerker' or artisan - everything was made and built by hand. The dots of the chevron design was not, however, individually hand-painted as a stencil was used and painted on by hand (as the others have mentioned).
Love the fact that their items are all handmade. I actually came across these two photos from their workshop in Carcassonne, they remind me of the Hermes workshops. :smile:

201212190107.jpg

le-travail-specifique-de-la-maroquinerie-necessitant-des_239290_516x343.jpg