Food Bad News For Britains Vegetarians

JoeyJo21

Jan 27, 2006
I saw this in the Sunday Mirror today :sad: . Luckily they're not my fave chocolate bars, but still it was nice to have the option.

MORE bad news today for Britain's three million vegetarians, already doing battle with an ever-lengthening list of meat-free products that aren't actually meat-free at all.
Now it turns out that new recipes for treats such as Mars, Milky Way, Snickers, Galaxy, Twix and Maltesers include animal products, putting a vast swathe of chocolate on the banned list too.

Masterfoods’ decision to use non-vegetarian whey is a backward step. Mars products are very popular with young people and many will be shocked to discover that their manufacture now relies on the extraction of rennet from the stomach lining of young calves.

I saw this in the Sunday Mirror today :sad: . Luckily they're not my fave chocolate bars, but still it was nice to have the option.

MORE bad news today for Britain's three million vegetarians, already doing battle with an ever-lengthening list of meat-free products that aren't actually meat-free at all.
Now it turns out that new recipes for treats such as Mars, Milky Way, Snickers, Galaxy, Twix and Maltesers include animal products, putting a vast swathe of chocolate on the banned list too.

Masterfoods’ decision to use non-vegetarian whey is a backward step. Mars products are very popular with young people and many will be shocked to discover that their manufacture now relies on the extraction of rennet from the stomach lining of young calves.

Thank you for the info.

Eww this is so disgusting. I receive boxes of these sweets monthly from my family.

Thanks for posting this Joey :heart: ..... Time to call my Mom.

I'm beginning to wish to WAS vegetarian, maybe it would stop me wanted to eat all this chocolate! I bet my, very fussy vegetarian friend doesn't know this. What a pleasure it will be to see her face when I tell her!!!!!! Ha Ha!!

I'm beginning to wish to WAS vegetarian, maybe it would stop me wanted to eat all this chocolate! I bet my, very fussy vegetarian friend doesn't know this. What a pleasure it will be to see her face when I tell her!!!!!! Ha Ha!!

Well instead of laughing at her you could tell her that Cadbury's is usually really good at marking their packets suitable for vegetarians! :smile:

^^ I agree Cadburys is really good! Apologies for putting just "Britains Veggies" in the title, I assume this will apply to all the Mars products shipped worldwide too. I was just copying it straight from the english paper headline lol.

Yeah - she's a Maltesers addict! I'll be contacting her first thing tomorrow. Poor thing, she's going to be gutted.

I just found out they've changed their minds and they're going to be making them veggie friendly again soon!

I found this on the BBC website:

Mars has abandoned plans to use animal products in its chocolate, and has apologised to "upset" vegetarians.

The firm had said it would change the whey used in some of its products from a vegetarian source to one with traces of the animal enzyme, rennet.
The Vegetarian Society organised a campaign against the move, asking members to voice their concerns to parent company Masterfoods.
Mars said it became "very clear, very quickly" that it had made a mistake.
In just one week, more than 6,000 people bombarded the company, which produces the Mars, Snickers, Maltesers and Galaxy brands, with phone and e-mail complaints.
Forty MPs also signed a petition to voice their opposition.
Fiona Dawson, managing director of Mars UK, said the company had listened to customers and decided to reverse its decision.
"The consumer is our boss and we had lots of feedback from consumers who were unhappy about the change," Ms Dawson said.
"It became very clear, very quickly that we had made a mistake, for which I am sorry. "There are three million vegetarians in the UK and not only did we disappoint them, but we upset a lot of the consumers."