Would you ever buy a bag that needed repair?

Purple, but I think that whenever dye is fixed it will stiffen the leather no matter the color. I had a black bag fixed by modern leather goods as well and that one came back stiffer as well. It will soften over time, but will not be the same.

I've heard that about recolored bag a lot, so I would never buy one that needed it!

Okay, I will! I spoke with Barbara earlier, but someone else entirely emailed me to tell me they had my bag. I've been emailing them. I'll pester Barbara instead, lol! Was the quote what you expected?

I am so sad! I got the bubblegum back today and while some of the work (like the handles) is great there were several details we discussed that were not done! The price was raised from the initial quote of $295 to $325 for having all the piping and a popped stitch fixed. The piping on the bottom of the bag is still dirty and cracked, the piping around the rivets is still pretty cracked, and the popped stitch wasn't fixed! The piping on the shoulder strap also looks untouched. I've emailed Barbara but now I'm worried because I will probably have to send it out again!

I hope that LMB can make this right because I have always heard such great things about their work. I know lots of ladies have been thrilled. I was so happy when my bag was done and sent back to me within a couple weeks. Here's hoping we can work this out!

Attachments

• 20141108_122436_resized.jpg
    20141108_122436_resized.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 455
  • 20141108_122439_resized.jpg
    20141108_122439_resized.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 456
  • 20141108_122505_resized.jpg
    20141108_122505_resized.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 459
  • 20141108_122547_resized.jpg
    20141108_122547_resized.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 439
I am so sad! I got the bubblegum back today and while some of the work (like the handles) is great there were several details we discussed that were not done! The price was raised from the initial quote of $295 to $325 for having all the piping and a popped stitch fixed. The piping on the bottom of the bag is still dirty and cracked, the piping around the rivets is still pretty cracked, and the popped stitch wasn't fixed! The piping on the shoulder strap also looks untouched. I've emailed Barbara but now I'm worried because I will probably have to send it out again!

I hope that LMB can make this right because I have always heard such great things about their work. I know lots of ladies have been thrilled. I was so happy when my bag was done and sent back to me within a couple weeks. Here's hoping we can work this out!

Are you certain they understood what you were asking them to do? I'm wondering if part of the problem may have been the terminology. To me "piping," refers to the leather strips that are sewn onto the edges of the bag (rubbed corners are part of this piping). I have always called the cracked areas you are showing us, "edgecoating." I don't know if LMB has fixed these for anyone successfully, I've not asked them to do it, but I'd love to know if they can. Please be sure to let us know if they are able to do it for you satisfactorily.

There have been some postings, probably threads, in the past about efforts to fix worn or cracked edge coating. There are several products called Edge-Kote, (or something similar) that come in black, brown and neutral. To my knowledge they are just paint-like rather than something thick and flexible, which is what was originally applied by Bal. It seems to me, that to fix these cracked areas, we'd need something thick enough to smooth over the cracks, but to not sink in, and then of course the right color on top of that. Maybe a very thick smooth line of fast drying glue.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on this. I'd love to send them a bag or two if they can do it well.

Are you certain they understood what you were asking them to do? I'm wondering if part of the problem may have been the terminology. To me "piping," refers to the leather strips that are sewn onto the edges of the bag (rubbed corners are part of this piping). I have always called the cracked areas you are showing us, "edgecoating." I don't know if LMB has fixed these for anyone successfully, I've not asked them to do it, but I'd love to know if they can. Please be sure to let us know if they are able to do it for you satisfactorily.

There have been some postings, probably threads, in the past about efforts to fix worn or cracked edge coating. There are several products called Edge-Kote, (or something similar) that come in black, brown and neutral. To my knowledge they are just paint-like rather than something thick and flexible, which is what was originally applied by Bal. It seems to me, that to fix these cracked areas, we'd need something thick enough to smooth over the cracks, but to not sink in, and then of course the right color on top of that. Maybe a very thick smooth line of fast drying glue.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on this. I'd love to send them a bag or two if they can do it well.

I also referred to it as edge coating and sent photos, so I hope they know what I'm talking about. I'm not sure why it isn't possible to fix when there must be some kind of material put there in the first place. However the edge coating along the top trim of the bag was cleaned and repaired just fine, so I feel like it was just a matter of over looking what I wanted done.

Barbara has agreed to take it back to have the missed details fixed. So I will be without my bubblegum for a few more weeks. :crybaby:

I also referred to it as edge coating and sent photos, so I hope they know what I'm talking about. I'm not sure why it isn't possible to fix when there must be some kind of material put there in the first place. However the edge coating along the top trim of the bag was cleaned and repaired just fine, so I feel like it was just a matter of over looking what I wanted done.

Barbara has agreed to take it back to have the missed details fixed. So I will be without my bubblegum for a few more weeks. :crybaby:

That's good news. Not that you'll be without your bag, but that it will end up the way you'd hoped. I'm excited to hear that they can do this. I guess I should have requested it in the past. The wait should be well worth it. :heart:

Yes, a couple of years ago, I did buy a very used 2005 City in Caramel because I wanted that color and year. The bag itself is not in terrible shape but the handles are black with dirt and look terrible. Not too long after I got this bag I lost my job and I went through 2-3 years of job insecurity.

My financial situation has only recently begun to look stable and promising for the future. Hopefully sometime in the next year I will send it off to Lovin My Bags to be repaired/refurbished. I know I will love it once it looks much better.

My biggest regret is that I paid a fortune for this bag because it was a period of time when even very used Balenciaga bags were being sold on e-bay for $500-$600 more than the new bags.

I would never again buy a used Balenciaga with dirty handles.

Last edited:
considering buying a black regular hardware city from 2011 that's in pretty rough shape (lost 3 studs) for $370. however, i will need to put a lot of extensive work into it to get it into good condition. Thoughts?

considering buying a black regular hardware city from 2011 that's in pretty rough shape (lost 3 studs) for $370. however, i will need to put a lot of extensive work into it to get it into good condition. Thoughts?

I would consider selling it and buying another one at good condition. The leather you can clean but the studs? How did they get lost? I think not a very good job was done on this bag although in 2011 Balenciaga was much better than now IMO. Anyway, if you got this for a low price then you could spend the money on fixing it otherwise I don't know if it is worth it.

Just realized you haven't bought it yet. In this case I wouldn't buy it. I wouldn't want to get into the hassle of having it fixed and not having the bag for so long.

You can't replace the studs. If you want to spend $500 on restoration you may as well buy a $900 bag in much more decent condition.

i was hoping to buy a couple of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Balenciaga-Purse-Raplacement-Studs-Screw-in-Stud-All-color-/271159678604
can anyone who has ordered these chime in?

To be honest this is what I would do- get some of these and ask a cobbler to fix them. Of course it would work as long as you want to keep this bag- reselling it could be tricky.
You can send your bag to Balenciaga- recently one of our members has rivet replaced for $50, so I'm guessing it could be similar price ( maybe higher if studs are lost)

To be honest this is what I would do- get some of these and ask a cobbler to fix them. Of course it would work as long as you want to keep this bag- reselling it could be tricky.

You can send your bag to Balenciaga- recently one of our members has rivet replaced for $50, so I'm guessing it could be similar price ( maybe higher if studs are lost)

Hmm, I live in Hong Kong so getting it done by a cobbler shouldn't be a problem I suppose, do you think Balenciaga would charge over $100 to have 3 studs replaced? And would they be willing to fix it without proof of purchase or a receipt?

Hmm, I live in Hong Kong so getting it done by a cobbler shouldn't be a problem I suppose, do you think Balenciaga would charge over $100 to have 3 studs replaced? And would they be willing to fix it without proof of purchase or a receipt?

I believe Balenciaga will charge you way over $100. I'm not sure if they repair bags without any proof of purchase, but you may ask them.

Oh my gosh, I just got my bag back from LMB and it is completely transformed! So beautiful!

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 306
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 306
  • photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 343