Travel Travelling abroad with a travel router - anyone use one?

I just came back from Japan and rented one from one of the service provider, it became extremely useful because we can't speak the language so it made life a whole lot easier when we get lost.

I just came back from Japan and rented one from one of the service provider, it became extremely useful because we can't speak the language so it made life a whole lot easier when we get lost.

I'm heading to Kyoto/Osaka in December. Can I ask if you rented the router at the airport or at another location? Thanks!

I'm heading to Kyoto/Osaka in December. Can I ask if you rented the router at the airport or at another location? Thanks!

bubbleloba, I sent you some information on this.

They can be rented at the airport, sent to your hotel, or rented in the U.S. before your trip. At least for Japan. I think this may also apply for some countries in Europe. It depends on the data service. I remember hearing that Rick Steves was beginning to use them on his tours. What works in one country may not work elsewhere. I hope someday soon there will be an inexpensive alternative which works in most countries. Then I'll buy one. Definitely worth renting, though. The time and frustration it saves you from perpetually getting lost is priceless. Also, it allows you to easily find places to eat at, see, navigate, etc. Although, it is also worth interacting with the locals sometimes, if you need directions or suggestions. Part of the fun of travel.

Another tip is to buy a portable battery pack before a trip, to have an easy way to keep all your devices charged, including the wifi router, when needed. Adds some extra weight, but better than looking for an outlet and sitting around for an hour to charge something.

Last edited:

I rented from GSM Rentafone, it operates on Softbank's network. If you order it a couple of days before arrival you can pick it up from the airport. I wasn't aware of this so I ended up having to go to the GSM Rentafone shop to pick up the wireless router.

I actually ended up renting a mobile hotspot from xcom global. It was so convenient to have one, it came in handy when we weren't near any hotels or cafes and needed to look at Google maps.

The size of the hotspot was small enough to fit in a pocket or purse and we only turned it on when necessary because battery life was only about 4 hours.

The process was easy - create an account, your dates of travel and they send you the hotspot a day before your trip. They also include a self addressed envelope for you to ship it back.

I will definitely use them again on my next trip to Europe.