What should I do with the solitare from my old ering? If anything?

islandchick

Sep 21, 2014
It's been sitting in my safe for the past 5 years and I'm wondering if I should just leave it as is or if I should sell it/have it remade into something else? Part of me is unsure if I want to wear the stone again.

The center stone is 1ct. Color D, Clarity VVS1.

I *may* have the paperwork for it still and I'm wondering if I should call the jeweler and ask them if I can upgrade my stone and pay more $$ and get something else.

Has anyone else had an old ering/wedding ring just sitting around? If so what did you do with it?

I've had solitaires reworked into necklaces and rings both. A D VVS1 is a great stone and almost too good a quality for a pendant.

If you do decide to trade up -- maybe find a different shape?

What is it about this stone that makes you maybe not want to wear it again? Does it have particular memories attached to it?

I love the stone but the relationship was just so turbulent and for some reason that I can't really explain, I'm just unsure if I want to wear it again.

What kind of necklaces have you had your solitaries worked into? I'd love to see some pictures if you have any? :smile:

I've had solitaires reworked into necklaces and rings both. A D VVS1 is a great stone and almost too good a quality for a pendant.

If you do decide to trade up -- maybe find a different shape?

What is it about this stone that makes you maybe not want to wear it again? Does it have particular memories attached to it?

I love the stone but the relationship was just so turbulent and for some reason that I can't really explain, I'm just unsure if I want to wear it again.

What kind of necklaces have you had your solitaries worked into? I'd love to see some pictures if you have any? :smile:

Sorry, I don't have photos and I hate uploading them to a cloud service and then linking.

I've reworked one particular stone several times. It's on its 3rd time now and it is at the jewelers. The first setting was a bezel on a snake chain, then it was a bezel on a brushed white gold ring, now it is in yellow gold in a DBTY setting. It's a flat stone and the DBTY suits it.

The second one came set in a bezel pendant with "mouse ears" which were reworked to have the mouse ears removed and the chain soldered to the bezel. The bezel was really thick and I hated it, so most recently, it was pulled out and put in a 3 prong setting, which really shows off the stone and I'm very happy with it.

As a note, it sounds like the stone has some history for you. I believe in getting rid of that energy. If it were my stone, I wouldn't want it hanging around my neck so to speak...

What sort of trade in might you be able to arrange? It might be just the fresh start you need!

Last edited:

Well, this e-ring is what remains of that relationship. But if you turn it into a necklace, it'll be a brand new jewel, all yours. Kinda like the new life you build now, being who you are (and you wouldn't be who you are now if you had not been in that relationship).

Am I making sense?

I took a 1ct solitaire, which was pretty but screamed engagement ring, and re-set to earrings. It was inherited, so I wanted to keep the stone and I was happy I also had a well matched loose stone.
Although if I didn't...I might now match it up with a sapphire stud. I like the mis-matched gem idea.

Don't let a bad relationship ruin a beautiful diamond! LOL!
My new favorite setting...3 prong martini necklace. Would look stunning with your gorgeous stone!!!

Is this the one you have Saligator?

Attachments

• martini necklace.jpg
    martini necklace.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
Don't let a bad relationship ruin a beautiful diamond! LOL!
My new favorite setting...3 prong martini necklace. Would look stunning with your gorgeous stone!!!

Is this the one you have Saligator?
^^ close, but mine is different in that the single chain feeds through a tiny ring at the back so it looks like it is floating. But the 3 prong is the same.