Reveal/review/a tip!

newwonderfull

Mar 13, 2014
So a few weeks ago, I posted a question about purchasing a new cupid from Thred Up. I was deciding between a black with gunmetal hardware, or a tan with gold. I ended up going with the black with gunmetal hardware. I do wish I'd waited for something with silver hardware, but overall, I'm pretty pleased with the purchase!

This is an older cupid, so it has the rolling strap and the back zipper pocket. The leather is incredibly slouchy and soft. In fact, I might stop carrying it for a few weeks and leave it stuffed to restore a little structure to it. The leather looks brand new - there are no visible scratches, and no wear on the corners of the bag either, which is impressive! It was also true to the description of the bag, which stated that is was like new. It came in the mail very quickly; however, it was not fully stuffed. Because the leather is older and already broken in, it probably contributed to the "flatness" of the bag that I've been dealing with, but probably didn't cause it. It did have some paper in it, and it was wrapped in tissue to prevent scuffs. My other complaint with Thred Up was that they didn't disclose the smell in the desciption - it had a faint smoke smell to it (most likely from the previous owner). Overall, I'd probably purchase from them if the item was reasonably priced, but I won't buy something just because the price was low. I purchased this bag for $130, which is pretty good for the shape it is in. As for the smokey smell, I discovered a super easy way to get rid of it. I kept forgetting to order some new conditioner and mine was all out, and I kept forgetting to pick up baking soda at the store. I really wanted to carry the bag one day but the smell really bothered me, so using what I had on hand, I decided to use some of my conditioner! I use the Catwalk by TIGI Oatmeal and Honey conditioner. I've used it on shoes before when I was all out, so I gave it a try on a test patch. It didn't darken the bag or cause any problems, so I slowly rubbed it all over the bag. The gross smell was gone immediately! This was about a week ago, and it hasn't seeped back at all! The bag smells pretty nice now, and overall, I'm glad I added it to my collection of Cupids (I'm up to 5 now and I'm considering a 6th, I might need to go to RM rehab!)

I think you did great. An almost perfect Cupid with nice leather and the old style back zipper pocket at that price is a steal IMO. And I personally like GM HW. It's similar to silver and I like HW that doesn't pop. I have a MAM with GM HW and it's held up very well.
So you used hair conditioner to eliminate odor? I've never had that problem but that's interesting. Congrats on a super deal.
I'm going to have to look at that site.

I do like the gunmetal, but I love silver hardware the most. I don't regret purchasing it though, and it'll definitely get a lot of use. I'm really happy I went for it, especially since all the black cupids on ebay were either too close to retail in price, or in really bad shape. So to find one for this cheap in this condition was awesome! The odor was the only issue with the bag, and now it smells clean. The site is pretty great - there's a turquoise Nikki for $170 I think. It's a lot less stressful than ebay, but the selection of RM bags isn't always huge, and you can't always see everything they have, because people can hold items in their carts for 24 hours and it won't show up when you browse the site.

I do like the gunmetal, but I love silver hardware the most. I don't regret purchasing it though, and it'll definitely get a lot of use. I'm really happy I went for it, especially since all the black cupids on ebay were either too close to retail in price, or in really bad shape. So to find one for this cheap in this condition was awesome! The odor was the only issue with the bag, and now it smells clean. The site is pretty great - there's a turquoise Nikki for $170 I think. It's a lot less stressful than ebay, but the selection of RM bags isn't always huge, and you can't always see everything they have, because people can hold items in their carts for 24 hours and it won't show up when you browse the site.
you did great
I bought a black Cupid with RG HW on Ebay and it wasn't perfect (although it was described as like-new). I paid a lot more than what you paid for yours. From my experience finding a nice one with the back zipper isn't easy.
Enjoy

Congrats on your find! I only have one Cupid in Elephant Grey (and 1 mini Cupid). I got it brand new last year and it has been used a little so leather has not been broken in and still stands on its own, but I can see where it will start to slouch. But I think some of the ladies here prefer a slouchy Cupid.