Obligatory Icons

Roku

Subscriptions Rock
O.G.
Jan 16, 2011
Fellow collectors of bags -
This isn't specific to Chanel, but I do have a question - Do any of you have the same problem where you collect certain bags because they are "iconic" and you feel that one should just have one in their collection? And then never wear them? And feel that you should let it go but you somehow cannot seem to do it because it's such a "classic."

Here are some examples:

Black 2.55 medium lambskin classic - she never goes out but she's such a classic that I can't let her go, never mind the fact that the double flap is a pain in the arse and I can't fit my WOC in there plus a cell phone and everything else. But it's such a classic. So I can't part with it.

Black vintage timeless camera case with tassel - they brought this model back recently and seeing how they did that makes me REALLY not want to let it go; but the strap length is just so in-between for me; too short for cross body but too long for one shoulder. Plus the lamb is so soft and pristine that I'm afraid to ruin it.

Reissue flaps - For some reason, these guys are the MOST FRAGILE of all flaps and I do not know why. It's like all of a sudden Chanel forgot to ensure sturdiness with these suckers. I think it's this ligne in general, just flimsy. Totes, flaps, all of the bunch. But staples in 226 and 227 in Gray, black/gold and some classic colors are some that I can't seem to wear but don't want to get rid of.

Honestly, I think the price increase is part of what scares me from selling them, in fear that one day I will regret it and then will end up paying an arm and leg for another one. :/

Another non-Chanel one is the LV speedy. I bought one about 2.5 years ago, the speedy B (shoulder strap). The vachetta is still very light because I only took her out twice. (Initially I got her to travel with, but somehow the monogram pattern always flags me for customs checks, so, that didn't go over so well). And because the vachetta is light, it prevents me from wanting to take her out. I know there are ways to prematurely age the vachetta but I'd rather age it naturally, and, I don't want to get rid of it because it's such a classic.

(Hermes, same thing with Birkins, box leather kellys, the color gold, and various other collectible conundrums).

Anyone else struggle with this?

P.S. I know that one can typically argue, "you should go with what you like, and what you will carry, not what you think is classic or iconic" but I really am speaking from a collector (euphemism for "hoarder") mindset

I have a GST, Classic Flap, Jumbo Flap, WOC, PST and also the LV Speedy B 25 -
all are iconic and I would not part with any of them as I love them even if some of them are a pain in the butt at times (yes the opening of my Speedy is sometimes too small, the Double Flap on the Classic is a pain, the Jumbo gets heavy.....) but I love them warts and all.
There really is no such thing as the perfect bag - like there is no perfect child - at one stage or another you would like to smack them - hahahhaha.

I certainly know what you mean! All of my bags have sentimental value, because they were given to me as gifts for specific occasions. I rarely carry any of them, but I cannot part with them either. I usually end up carrying my WOCs.

I've just recently decided that I do not need even one more bag. I do not plan to get rid of any from my current collection, because I realize that your tastes change over the years. I go through phases of carrying different ones and know I would regret giving any of them up.

ahhhh, i feel the same way about my speedy 35... i bought it back in 2008 and i'm super worried about the vachetta so i just leave it in the dustbag. i keep saying it was my very first designer bag that i saved for so i should keep it. now that it's pretty much 1k i'm even more on the fence about selling it because i might want to use it one day.. -__-

ahhhh, i feel the same way about my speedy 35... i bought it back in 2008 and i'm super worried about the vachetta so i just leave it in the dustbag. i keep saying it was my very first designer bag that i saved for so i should keep it. now that it's pretty much 1k i'm even more on the fence about selling it because i might want to use it one day.. -__-

Another non-Chanel one is the LV speedy. I bought one about 2.5 years ago, the speedy B (shoulder strap). The vachetta is still very light because I only took her out twice. (Initially I got her to travel with, but somehow the monogram pattern always flags me for customs checks, so, that didn't go over so well). And because the vachetta is light, it prevents me from wanting to take her out. I know there are ways to prematurely age the vachetta but I'd rather age it naturally, and, I don't want to get rid of it because it's such a classic.

Before I got my Speedy, I read about the possibly sensitive vachetta leather. However, I've carried my Speedy many times since I got it and no problems whatsoever. No spotting, no bleeding, no "issues". It's a pretty svelte bag. I wouldn't worry about being scared to carry it. Also, I go through customs so many times...sometimes I have it on me, other times it's in my carry-on or checked bags and I have no issues.

I have a different take on this. I own four Chanel flaps, Cerf tote, Speedy, Alma, Hermes Birkin etc.

Most of my bags are classics, I did my research before buying every single piece. Even tho SAs/Friends said “don’t buy lamb, it’s too sensitive” “don’t buy reissue because it looks old and saggy” “Don’t buy Birkin 30cm coz nothing fits in there” "Don't buy Birkin in Epsom leather coz the corners will eventually peel"

Guess what? I bought all these bags anyway because they fit my lifestyle and every bag serves a different purpose. I bought all of these beauties to enjoy ‘em. I am waiting for Kelly in box and my SA was and still surprised that I chose box over Togo/Clemence leather. But again, I don’t consider bags anywhere close to any investment whatsoever..Seriously, bags as an investments? Who am I kidding? If a bag is just going to sit in my closet looking pretty, not only I blocked that money but also managed to waste it…I’d rather have dollar bills sitting in my closet than bags. Hehe
J

I used to not care about classics, but as I get older that's all I want to carry. All but one of my Chanels are classics and I intend to purchase other "classics" going forward from other designers. I agree with Rami that bags are meant to be used. One day we won't be here and what's the point of living in fear of using something?

As for reissues, I don't think they are fragile at all. I wear mine around my little girl and it's fallen to the ground a few times and it still looks like new. :smile:

Only have a few icons and I buy them them as and when I find them. There is quite an elastic list with regard to price, size, colour and brand and the list keeps me on track when I tempted by trendy stuff.

My classic Chanel's LV and Hermes are worn when I need a good bag to finish an outfit. By now I know that shopping for an occasion, for me is a complete waste of money and an exercise in frustration.

Most of my classics have only been worn few times but I'm so glad they are there when I really need a good piece. It's a system that works.

to me it's more like a dilemma between go for what I like or what's iconic, normally i'm pretty good at only buying stuff that i love, especially when i can just go to the mall and try them on. But my mall doesn't carry that many brands and when i have to rely on internet photos, my taste have inevitably influenced by what's iconic and popular.
Also the ever increasing price makes me wanna own an iconic piece when i can still afford it.

OP just the way you described your thread "obligatory icons" implies that you sense peer pressure to spend your money to buy these bags just for the sake of having them but not necessarily liking them. I understand it and have gone through it. I experienced it first hand with my Speedy 25, I thought I would love the bag but in reality, i hated it. It is impractical and did not work for my needs. I sold it. But there was no remorse whatsoever even if now the bag costs 2x what I sold it for 5 years ago.

I say do not give in to the peer pressure from tPf. There will always be women revealing and showing off their goods that you could have wanted but somehow you didn't get.

I have also felt this firsthand with the GST: same old song - "oh it's a classic" "it fits so much" "pretty good price for Chanel" etc etc etc. I learned my lesson with the Speedy and did not give in to buy the GST as much as I wanted a shoulder bag. Too many red flags for me on the GST: open top, shoulder strap never staying on, the boxiness, the later sagging.

I saved myself hundreds of dollars in resale losses by listening to myself. Don't give in! If you actually hate the bag, sell it!

Thanks for your opinions ladies - just to touch on a few things I do mean it when I say "from a collector's POV" and not so much from a wearer's pov. (absolutanne I actually don't "mingle" enough on TPF to even know what peer pressure from online folks would feel like; I usually am too busy analyzing nano-wallet-bags or autenticating Chanel, and in the real world, I am a closet purse fiend (literally) so nobody outside of my very close friends are aware of this horrible bag collecting habit of mine). As for practicality, if you are collecting bags as a hobby or a sport then it doesn't matter how practical your purchases are; you end up with too many for them to be carried frequently anyway...

Sorry if I was totally lacking clarity but from a collector's POV, is it worthwhile to own iconic pieces that you tend to NOT gravitate to, just because it's iconic so you want it as part of your collection?

In other words, or perhaps the reverse question would be, does anyone's heart ache because you "missed" a piece? (a la Burberry Knight bag 2008 debut edition, or the limited black Fendi peekaboo with fuchsia interior, something in BV noce before they discontinued the color, every single classic Chanel pre-axeing of gold plating, Balenciaga 2005 PT or City, etc etc etc) even though it's totally not you?

(If you were a wine collector, then, it would be the same type of question, or stamp collector, etc)

P.S. this is where I again realize Dior really needs to step up its game and create an iconic piece. Lady Dior just isn't enough to make it to the finish line. I love the cannage so much I want the brand to do well.

Last edited:
Only have a few icons and I buy them them as and when I find them. There is quite an elastic list with regard to price, size, colour and brand and the list keeps me on track when I tempted by trendy stuff.

My classic Chanel's LV and Hermes are worn when I need a good bag to finish an outfit. By now I know that shopping for an occasion, for me is a complete waste of money and an exercise in frustration.

Most of my classics have only been worn few times but I'm so glad they are there when I really need a good piece. It's a system that works.

ITA, elastic indeed! And I agree, that iconic tend to match well with need - almost like you didn't realize something could be so handy, or your "relationship" with that brand or piece evolves AFTER you acquire it as it teaches you its multifaceted handiness... this is such a thoughtful point, never thought of it that way.

I own other designer brands--but, my iconic chanel choice was a 2.55 reissue 227.

When I first wore my bag to boutique & asked about care, I heard to keep it in its box/away from sunlight/avoid water or moisture, etc.
I got the distinct impression that using it much wasn't recommended.
Which was ironic, as I chose reissue primarily for its useful design--I thought that was Coco's goal, serviceable & lovely handbags for modern women.
I kept wearing it & applied leather care products.

The reissue's classy practicality's iconic, to me. Because its design captures that original intent for increased freedom in a woman's daily life.
I feel obliged to use it, to honor such intent--but, that's a pleasure, not a burden.
Burdensome icons only make happy salespeople, imo.

I almost got a reissue when my SIL got the black on black one this year. Then I stopped myself and was like 'do I want this? Or does she (and tpf users) make me want it!? I realised its just not the bag style for me and I was just caught up in her joy. Do not regret passing at all!! Not a reissue person. Dont get them at all.