Help with Return to Sender by Priority Mail?

patchydel

Aug 23, 2014
Hi guys,

Not a seller but a buyer, hoping you can help out. I had ordered something from Italy to a friend of mine in the US. The plan was that I would get the package while I was visiting her in the states (I was concerned about the hefty fees to Canada). However, the package was delayed and worst of all, the arrival was missed and my friend never got the notice for pickup that the tracking indicated.

Due to my friend being tied up with other items, I ended up requesting that the package be sent back to Italy and we'll try shipping again once it gets back there. The package was marked as Priority Mail International when it was handed over to USPS. I was wondering how long do you think it would take to return to sender? Another issue I'm having is that when I called the postal office to ensure that the package has left, they said it has because it was no longer in their shelves but the tracking online hasn't been updated to reflect this. Is this normal?

I feel really badly about all this and I'm hoping it can get resolved soon! Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

Not a seller but a buyer, hoping you can help out. I had ordered something from Italy to a friend of mine in the US. The plan was that I would get the package while I was visiting her in the states (I was concerned about the hefty fees to Canada). However, the package was delayed and worst of all, the arrival was missed and my friend never got the notice for pickup that the tracking indicated.

Due to my friend being tied up with other items, I ended up requesting that the package be sent back to Italy and we'll try shipping again once it gets back there. The package was marked as Priority Mail International when it was handed over to USPS. I was wondering how long do you think it would take to return to sender? Another issue I'm having is that when I called the postal office to ensure that the package has left, they said it has because it was no longer in their shelves but the tracking online hasn't been updated to reflect this. Is this normal?

I feel really badly about all this and I'm hoping it can get resolved soon! Thanks in advance.

Not good. It's normal not to have return tracking. I don't know about the rules for Italy but when sending from the US you must specifically request that any packages not collected will be returned to you. This is done at the seller's expense. It can take a very long time to be returned because those packages are the very lowest priority.

Not good. It's normal not to have return tracking. I don't know about the rules for Italy but when sending from the US you must specifically request that any packages not collected will be returned to you. This is done at the seller's expense. It can take a very long time to be returned because those packages are the very lowest priority.

Darn, I thought so... I was reading mixed things online so I guess we'll just see. I thought for Priority, the seller isn't charged if the item is unopened? It wasn't, but I am willing to cover this cost if need be.

Lesson learned, thank you for the help!

Darn, I thought so... I was reading mixed things online so I guess we'll just see. I thought for Priority, the seller isn't charged if the item is unopened? It wasn't, but I am willing to cover this cost if need be.

Lesson learned, thank you for the help!
AFAIK. the RTS without charge is only with domestic packages, i.e., both sender and receiver are US addresses.

I also think you will lose buyer protection by having the package returned to sender.