Traveling with a Dog on plane (non Emotional Support)

So, this thread came to my mind the other day. And I would love to know how this is possible.

I was on an American Airlines flight on Saturday night, sitting in my seat and a man walked right past us to his seat on the plane with a knapsack (not big enough for a dog) and his Chihuahua on a leash. He had no dog carrier and walked the dog on his leash right on the plane with no carrier. I meant to ask the flight attendant, but fell asleep. I was in first class, and the man wasn't, so it could not have been he got away with it, because he was in first class. How is this possible???

Last edited:
So, this thread came to my mind the other day. And I would love to know how this is possible.

I was on an American Airlines flight on Saturday night and a man walked right past us to his seat on the plane with a knapsack (not big enough for a dog) and his Chihuahua on a leash. He had no dog carrier and walked the dog on his leash right on the plane with no carrier. I meant to ask the flight attendant, but fell asleep. I was in first class, and the man wasn't, so it could not have been he got away with it, because he was in first class. How is this possible???

just a guess but he could have been some sort of service dog?

just a guess but he could have been some sort of service dog?

A Chihuahua? He had no service dog/support dog vest.

Lady sitting next to me, also said something to me. She mentioned she doesn't like dogs and why was the dog able to just walk on and not be in a carrier.

A Chihuahua? He had no service dog/support dog vest.

i've seen service dogs of all sizes! sometimes they are used for PTSD, diabetes, or other illnesses because they sense your chemical reactions before you do. not sure if service animals have to wear a vest or not....but again just a guess!

one time i even saw a fallabella mini horse as a service animal :graucho::roflmfao: cutest thing ever!

i've seen service dogs of all sizes! sometimes they are used for PTSD, diabetes, or other illnesses because they sense your chemical reactions before you do. not sure if service animals have to wear a vest or not....but again just a guess!

one time i even saw a fallabella mini horse as a service animal :graucho::roflmfao: cutest thing ever!

Oh, I thought they had to always wear that vest. WTF, a mini horse?!?!?!

I was on an American Airlines flight on Saturday night, sitting in my seat and a man walked right past us to his seat on the plane with a knapsack (not big enough for a dog) and his Chihuahua on a leash. He had no dog carrier and walked the dog on his leash right on the plane with no carrier. I meant to ask the flight attendant, but fell asleep. I was in first class, and the man wasn't, so it could not have been he got away with it, because he was in first class. How is this possible???
Even though non-service dogs are required to be in a carrier (including in the airport) I always see dogs out and about on leashes. I think sometimes airlines just don't enforce the rules. Also a lot of people these days have "therapy" dogs which are not actually trained, licensed service dogs and are not afforded the same protections but are often treated in similar ways to official service dogs because employees don't want to risk crossing some legal line by accident by asking too many questions.

I am really amazed that dogs are allowed on plane in America. As far as I know in Europe all must be checked in as freight apart from service dogs (they have their own official ID Card) We have strict Pet passport rules in Europe regarding innoculations etc. No chance of my siberian husky sitting on airplane seat next to me :smile:

Oh, I thought they had to always wear that vest. WTF, a mini horse?!?!?!

lol yep! he was in the mall and his owner sat down on a bench next to me, i looked up and there was this super cute mini horse wearing a harness and leash. the lady has diabetes and in the past had problems monitoring her insulin and had gone into a diabetic coma which affected her eye sight, so she has a mini horse who alerts her when her insulin is low and helps her get around with her limited vision. why she has a mini horse instead of a service dog...no idea lol. but it sure was cute!!!!

Even though non-service dogs are required to be in a carrier (including in the airport) I always see dogs out and about on leashes. I think sometimes airlines just don't enforce the rules. Also a lot of people these days have "therapy" dogs which are not actually trained, licensed service dogs and are not afforded the same protections but are often treated in similar ways to official service dogs because employees don't want to risk crossing some legal line by accident by asking too many questions.

I want a therapy dog :pout:

^ case in point, too many people abuse it.

Last year, when I was in LAX for work, I saw 3 dogs in my particular terminal. 1 was clearly a service dog and a twit didn't comprehend that the owner was handicapped and kept cooing over the dog who was wearing a "do not pet me vest". Eyeroll.

Another dog (clearly sedated) was in its carrier. The owner took it out momentarily to give it water as they were waiting for their flight.

The last dog was in line with its owner at the internal starbucks terminal. I'm sure it's not a service dog of any kind.

Be careful with the sedation. My hair dresser told me of a client whose dog died midflight. Poor thing noticed the pet was having problems, took the pug out of its carrier momentarily and the dog soon died on her lap mid flight. :sad:

^ case in point, too many people abuse it.

Last year, when I was in LAX for work, I saw 3 dogs in my particular terminal. 1 was clearly a service dog and a twit didn't comprehend that the owner was handicapped and kept cooing over the dog who was wearing a "do not pet me vest". Eyeroll.

Another dog (clearly sedated) was in its carrier. The owner took it out momentarily to give it water as they were waiting for their flight.

The last dog was in line with its owner at the internal starbucks terminal. I'm sure it's not a service dog of any kind.

Be careful with the sedation. My hair dresser told me of a client whose dog died midflight. Poor thing noticed the pet was having problems, took the pug out of its carrier momentarily and the dog soon died on her lap mid flight. :sad:

No, I wouldn't abuse the need for a therapy dog. One of the reason I don't have a dog is because I travel so much for work and don't want my dog at kennels all the time.

Oh my God, that is so sad and horrible.

No, I wouldn't abuse the need for a therapy dog. One of the reason I don't have a dog is because I travel so much for work and don't want my dog at kennels all the time.

Oh my God, that is so sad and horrible.
Tell me about it. I felt really bad when she told me the story. The flight was a few hours and the owner noticed the dog was struggling in its carrrier, etc etc.

My apologies, l didn't mean to offend you earlier. Having a dog is wonderful but it does require you to be home regularly or at least have some type of lifestyle that allows them to accompany you regularly.

Also a lot of people these days have "therapy" dogs which are not actually trained, licensed service dogs and are not afforded the same protections but are often treated in similar ways to official service dogs because employees don't want to risk crossing some legal line by accident by asking too many questions.

I can't help with airline questions--I can help with therapy dog information.
Therapy dogs ARE trained & certified animals. Each wears a specific neck bandana & collar tag, when working.
Also, the human handler will display a certification card.

True, therapy dogs aren't given the same legal rights as vested service animals.
Nor are they trained to perform the same tasks as service dogs.
But, these volunteer teams work miracles in many traumatized lives.

The pics here seem like ordinary pets strolling with owners.

If desired, here's a website for more info. about therapy dogs: http://www.tdi-dog.org/

If they're flying commercial, I'd love to know what airline. None that I've looked into
accept Bulldogs in the cabin, or any dog of that size.

Now that we have two Bulldogs, we can't fly anywhere. Turned into a huge problem as my husbands family is in Europe.

Attachments

• 2eqf7m0.jpg
    2eqf7m0.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
If they're flying commercial, I'd love to know what airline. None that I've looked into
accept Bulldogs in the cabin, or any dog of that size.

Now that we have two Bulldogs, we can't fly anywhere. Turned into a huge problem as my husbands family is in Europe.

You don't go through the airport when flying private, you go strait to the plane from your car (pic was taken at LAX), so yes they are flying commercial.