Would you buy a bag without authentication card?

helenhandbag

May 17, 2014
Hi ladies, especially those with vintage experience:
I came across a black M/L double flap in black lambskin with GHW, 2xxx xxx series. In a good used condition: some creases on the side from use, a light scratch on the CC, but none on the leather!

I'm very tempted to get it, inspecting it didn't give me any red flags and it's reserved for me, but I wanted to run some details past here first as the card's not included (sorry couldn't take pics):

- the inside has Chanel and trademark but no 'made in...' - I think I read once that some older bags don't have it, but not sure
- the inner flap button closure mentions 'elox' or 'enox' - was this supplier ever used?
- on the top left of the CC there are 3 small vertical stripes engraved, again I've seen things engraved and even extra CC stuck on this specific corner but want to hear of more (one of my Chanels has a small CC on top and was bought at the boutique.

Looking forward to your advice! Aarggh, can't stop thinking of how amazing this bag would look after a little service :smile:

Reactions: Jojo_Estradaa
http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/would-you-buy-a-chanel-without-authenticity-card-798630.html

The above thread may help.

Thanks for asking about this.
I, also, have questions about buying chanel bags without autheticity cards.
There seem to be many offered for sale as pre-owned.

Other than bag authenticity(though cards may be faked & often are just lost)--I'm concerned that getting chanel maintenance would be problematic.
How does a boutique react to someone bringing in a vintage chanel, no card, & asking for refurbishment service?
What if your only receipt for bag is from a resale company?

Recently I want purchased this single flap maxi in caviar leather from a consignment store. I debated long and hard on it. I've tried the double flap maxi in store, but it was heavy even when it's empty. The jumbo was just a bit small for me. I searched on PF and ladies said single flap would make a big difference in the weight. Thus I bought this bag when I saw it being listed.

It was listed as Like New, but the card was missing. Initially I thought the price was good ($4050) even without the card. But now that I have received it, there are couple other things that bother me. I begin to doubt if it's truly Like New (though its seems so). I would appreciate a lot if you all can help with making the decision.

First, ok again, the card is missing. Would this affect anything? One of things I've read is that without the card, Chanel will not offer care/maintenance service. I've also seen people mentioning that after their vintage chanel bags sent in for a fix, say of a broken hardware(at a cost), the bag came looking polished and like new. Would I ever need to send the bag in to fix? Have you done so? Would I care about this?

Second, the dust bag that came with the bag is probably not the right dust bag, because it's too small:

Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 4.05.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 4.04.57 PM.png

Third, the part of the bag (where my hand is holding in the picture) is fairly soft. I don't think Chanel comes being soft like that, however, I'd appreciate if the single flap owners out there can confirm on this. I want this bag to be something I can use for many year, but I don't know if the bag will stay structured if the front portion of the bag is already soft. Does this happen to single flaps?

Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 4.04.05 PM.png

What are your thoughts?
Do you think this bag is a good deal?
Should I keep it or return it and get a new one?

Thank you for your help!

Did you have it authenticated before you bought it slash do you trust where you bought it from? If so, you got a hell of a deal!! It looks really good from the pictures you posted!

as far as repairs, I've never needed the card to get something fixed....

Did you have it authenticated before you bought it slash do you trust where you bought it from? If so, you got a hell of a deal!! It looks really good from the pictures you posted!

as far as repairs, I've never needed the card to get something fixed....
Yes I think it's trustworthy, because it's from Yoogi's Closet. The bag itself does look like new. But since it's caviar, I would think even if it's used a lot it would still look pretty much new.

The shape, and the softness of the bag's side and the front made me think that the original owner must have used quite a bit before consigning it.

Are you saying, you have bags sent in to Chanel to be fixed, and yet they never asked for the authenticity card?

I never heard that you need a card to fix something. they never asked me card so far. i think, maybe without card bag will be little cheaper if you will decide to resell it one day

As long as you get it authenticated you should be fine. I have a single flap caviar jumbo and it's flexible where you are pulling at the bag as well (if that is what you meant by your question). I think you got it at a great deal! I paid more for my single flap jumbo .... (In 2013)... And lastly everytime I've taken my bag into chanel for anything they always hand me back my authenticity card for safe keeping. They don't check or match numbers from bags to card from what I noticed anyways.... They do not ask u to bring card back in either when you go to pick up your bag... So I don't believe having the authenticity card is a big deal when you need to send your bag to spa or what not....

I've sent my vintage maxi for repair before, I bought it from a consignment store without the card too, and chanel accepted it without asking questions. I think so long as the sticker is intact and it's authentic they will repair it for you.

The only issue without the card is if you decide to sell it, you will have to sell it at a lower price.

I have a single flap jumbo too, the sides will lift like what you did in the photo, so it's natural..mine is the #13 series and it's in an almost new condition

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1422963981.388408.jpg

Recently I want purchased this single flap maxi in caviar leather from a consignment store. I debated long and hard on it. I've tried the double flap maxi in store, but it was heavy even when it's empty. The jumbo was just a bit small for me. I searched on PF and ladies said single flap would make a big difference in the weight. Thus I bought this bag when I saw it being listed.

It was listed as Like New, but the card was missing. Initially I thought the price was good ($4050) even without the card. But now that I have received it, there are couple other things that bother me. I begin to doubt if it's truly Like New (though its seems so). I would appreciate a lot if you all can help with making the decision.

First, ok again, the card is missing. Would this affect anything? One of things I've read is that without the card, Chanel will not offer care/maintenance service. I've also seen people mentioning that after their vintage chanel bags sent in for a fix, say of a broken hardware(at a cost), the bag came looking polished and like new. Would I ever need to send the bag in to fix? Have you done so? Would I care about this?

Second, the dust bag that came with the bag is probably not the right dust bag, because it's too small:

View attachment 2882408

View attachment 2882402

Third, the part of the bag (where my hand is holding in the picture) is fairly soft. I don't think Chanel comes being soft like that, however, I'd appreciate if the single flap owners out there can confirm on this. I want this bag to be something I can use for many year, but I don't know if the bag will stay structured if the front portion of the bag is already soft. Does this happen to single flaps?

View attachment 2882399

What are your thoughts?

Do you think this bag is a good deal?

Should I keep it or return it and get a new one?

Thank you for your help!

I have a double-flap maxi. As much as I love it, I appreciate the shape of the single-flap one more.
Wear it on you and see if you like the look of it, if so, keep it.

Oh and the dust bag wouldn't bug me... I bought my maxi at NM and they were out of both Classic boxes and dust bags when I got it... NBD
Thank you for letting me know. I got worried a bit thinking that it would be the wrong dust bag. I personally liked Chanel's new dust (the white one) more. The two compartments help to store the chains separate from the bag. This is the first time I see the older version of the dust bag.

I never heard that you need a card to fix something. they never asked me card so far. i think, maybe without card bag will be little cheaper if you will decide to resell it one day
That's good to hear. Thank you for letting me know. You are right, that would probably be the reason this bag was sold at a lower price. I plan to just keep it, and it's nice to know I wouldn't be asked of the card if I want to bring the bag in for maintenance.

As long as you get it authenticated you should be fine. I have a single flap caviar jumbo and it's flexible where you are pulling at the bag as well (if that is what you meant by your question). I think you got it at a great deal! I paid more for my single flap jumbo .... (In 2013)... And lastly everytime I've taken my bag into chanel for anything they always hand me back my authenticity card for safe keeping. They don't check or match numbers from bags to card from what I noticed anyways.... They do not ask u to bring card back in either when you go to pick up your bag... So I don't believe having the authenticity card is a big deal when you need to send your bag to spa or what not....
If you don't mind me asking, what service do you bring the bag in for? What kind of service does Chanel offer?

I've sent my vintage maxi for repair before, I bought it from a consignment store without the card too, and chanel accepted it without asking questions. I think so long as the sticker is intact and it's authentic they will repair it for you.

The only issue without the card is if you decide to sell it, you will have to sell it at a lower price.

I have a single flap jumbo too, the sides will lift like what you did in the photo, so it's natural..mine is the #13 series and it's in an almost new condition

When you brought your vintage maxi in, was it for fixing the hardware? Did they give your maxi a spa?

Does the front side of your jumbo tend to bulge when you put stuff in? Because, so far, I've been scared of using the bag to its full capacity, fearing that the shape of the bag would be ruined.