Lizard versus Ostrich Agenda?

RyukkuX

O.G.
Nov 25, 2006
I have read through most of the exotic durability threads, which seem to focus mainly on bags, but I was wondering if anyone with specific experience with lizard or ostrich agendas could chime in on the pros and cons between the two. I am looking at either a chocolate brown ostrich globetrotter or a black lizard globetrotter. Does one open easier than the other (in terms of the spine opening flat?) Color changes over time? Damage to leather over time? The need for careful storage within a handbag? Does color make a different in terms of appearance over time? Thanks.

I have both , the ostrich far more user friendly , the lizard tends to fight back a bit, it is stiff. In terms of wear the ostrich is smoother and the edges wear far better. The lizard can loose a scale here and there and because its a rougher leather to work with it does not seem to hold the color or smoothness on edges as well as the ostrich. The ostrich is softer and more supple to use but is incredibly strong.
Downside to ostrich is that it can fade easily and you do not want to leave it out on a sun drenched desk .

Lizard is far more fragile than ostrich in terms of vulnerability to water and oil from hands. Birds are much more durable in this respect. In terms of fading, both discolor over time. My ombré Lizzie has yellowed over the years whilst my birds have lightened.

For agendas which you hand-handle more than bags, I would not recommend anything in Lizzie.

I love the look of lizard but honestly don't love the fact that this is such a fragile high maintenance skin. I find lizard even more high maintenance than croc. Unlike croc, lizard doesn't age as well in the sense that at some point, no matter how well cared, lizard starts to show its age. I am somewhat relieved to read TammyD share that her ombre lizzie has started to yellow, mine has too, which is disappointing.

Ostrich is great for bags, lightweight & relatively weather proof, but I now hesitate to buy ostrich for small leather goods that will be handled frequently throughout the day. It's sensitive to oils so if you are anything like me, who is constantly applying hand lotion, it's just something to be wary of. And I've had an ostrich follicle pop out LOL. That said, ostrich remains one of my favorite H leathers but mainly for bags.

Ostrich is the only exotic I buy from H. The watch straps are great. Croc and lizard can be imitated so well these days, I can not tell real from fake, but with ostrich, I have yet to see an imitation that passes inspection.
Invest in H ostrich, and buy great imitation lizard from someone else.

I have 2 ostrich agendas, in bougainville and mykonos and both are a pleasure to handle and so beautiful. I once had a LV wallet in lizard and another in croc. The lizard aged better than the croc but I ended up giving both away. Nowadays I only buy exotic slgs in ostrich.

Lizard is far more fragile than ostrich in terms of vulnerability to water and oil from hands. Birds are much more durable in this respect. In terms of fading, both discolor over time. My ombré Lizzie has yellowed over the years whilst my birds have lightened.

For agendas which you hand-handle more than bags, I would not recommend anything in Lizzie.

My experience as well!

Ostrich would be my pick. I've used my ostrich Azap everyday for over a year and it has almost no wear. Though, I second others who suggested keeping it away from sunlight, or will lighten significantly.

I have both and surprisingly, the lizard has aged better. I take care of it though--I don't just toss it in my bag but keep it in its own zippered cloth bag. After 3 years of daily use it looks great. The ostrich is about five years old and has taken on a more worn look than I would like, although I still love it. However I would buy another lizard agenda in a heartbeat!