Seller conditions return on not leaving negative feedback

lizmil

O.G.
Dec 30, 2007
I bought a "Coach bracelet."

I question its authenticity and so do the Coach authenticators here on tPF.

I just asked the seller for a return, she said fine... She asked me to explain why I think it's fake --that's reasonable too. She said it was a gift from someone who would never giver her a fake.

But then she wants to condition the return on my agreement to not give negative feedback! What?

She also said something about moving and a different address -- I have to return to her proper address. Looks like a call to eBay is in order.

I prefer not to quote the whole message in case the person is reading here, it's very polite but conditioning the return on feedback? what?!

I'll be calling ebay.

I bought a "Coach bracelet."

I question its authenticity and so do the Coach authenticators here on tPF.

I just asked the seller for a return, she said fine... She asked me to explain why I think it's fake --that's reasonable too. She said it was a gift from someone who would never giver her a fake.

But then she wants to condition the return on my agreement to not give negative feedback! What?

She also said something about moving and a different address -- I have to return to her proper address. Looks like a call to eBay is in order.

I prefer not to quote the whole message in case the person is reading here, it's very polite but conditioning the return on feedback? what?!

I'll be calling ebay.

If the item is a fake, you have every right to return it, even without her "permission". Request a return and only return it to the confirmed address on eBay/paypal so you can be 100% protected. Whether you leave a negative feedback or not is up to you. Do as you wish or think is best. But in my opinion, if this seller is selling fake designer items, I will feel somewhat obligated to let others know of it, especially those who might be a bit more naive when buying on eBay.

I looked up the seller on toolhaus. It says there are no negatives, no neutrals, no withdrawn. One feedback was revised.

Toolhaus says she has almost 70 more feedbacks than ebay. I don't understand why the number of feedbacks on toolhaus is higher than her feedback number on ebay if she didn't have any negatives or neutrals. She has been on ebay for a very long time.

I looked up the seller on toolhaus. It says there are no negatives, no neutrals, no withdrawn. One feedback was revised.

Toolhaus says she has almost 70 more feedbacks than ebay. I don't understand why the number of feedbacks on toolhaus is higher than her feedback number on ebay if she didn't have any negatives or neutrals. She has been on ebay for a very long time.

Thank you whateve, I'm not sure what that finding means. BTW, I've been on ebay since 1999 myself.

Call PayPal. Tell them you are returning an item and give the address the seller wants you to use to return it. Ask if that is ok. Hey won't tell you the address to ship it but they will confirm if that is the address to which to return.

You can also call ebay and ask them. If you open the case I think they ask the seller what address to use for return shipping but I would not open case unless you really have to open one.

Offering a refund conditional on not negging her is feedback extortion and is disallowed. You can leave whatever feedback you want although I'd recommend leaving it after getting the refund (if you plan on doing so).

Incidently, after seeing additional pictures of the bracelet, it was confirmed that it's definitely fake.

I'm not seeing what you're seeing with regard to a difference in the counts. If you look at her total feedback on ebay, it shows 1404. and if you look at Toolhaus, it shows the same 1404 as feedback received.

You want to return this to a confirmed paypal address. If your seller is moving
& her new address hasn't been updated with pp, that is her issue & she needs to
correct that if she expects this item to be shipped back to her.

As far as the feedback goes, you need to be 100% positive that the item is
indeed fake before you mention that, IMO. The seller said it was a gift she may have
made a mistake & maybe she did not.

The return is the return the feedback is feedback. One is not contingent upon the
other & you can use your best judgement about the feedback.

if the OP left negative or neutral feedback wouldn't the buyer be able to call ebay and tell them "look a return was made - remove the feedback" and they would do it?

I think you mean seller rather than buyer. A seller can always ask ebay to remove a neg but they don't always do it.

A return does not necessarily negate a negative feedback. If there is something significantly wrong with an item (i.e. fake in this case) and it does not appear to be an honest mistake on the part of the seller, a neg or neutral may be warranted even if the item is returned. It is a judgement call on the part of the buyer.

I wonder if the seller is a member here or read this thread. She agreed to the return and there is a return label for me to print from the seller.. I think generated by eBay. I'm on my phone so I haven't verified that the address is right, I will though.

She is very apologetic if it is fake and would like me to tell her why.... I am still troubled that she wanted to hijack a return based on not leaving negative feedback. Her later communication doesn't expressly say this, but hints about how much she values her feedback. I think she knew it was wrong to ask that in the first place.

Offering a refund conditional on not negging her is feedback extortion and is disallowed. You can leave whatever feedback you want although I'd recommend leaving it after getting the refund (if you plan on doing so).

Incidently, after seeing additional pictures of the bracelet, it was confirmed that it's definitely fake.

I'm not seeing what you're seeing with regard to a difference in the counts. If you look at her total feedback on ebay, it shows 1404. and if you look at Toolhaus, it shows the same 1404 as feedback received.
I don't know where you're looking on ebay but I see her feedback at 1335, which is not the same as on Toolhaus.

if the OP left negative or neutral feedback wouldn't the buyer be able to call ebay and tell them "look a return was made - remove the feedback" and they would do it?
ebay won't remove feedback even if the buyer is lying or mistaken, or if the seller attempted to make things right. The seller can ask the buyer for a feedback revision.
I saw a negative feedback the other day with some comment like "love it, it was a great deal!"

I had negative feedback removed once but it was very difficult to get them to do it. It wasn't until I pointed out that the buyer hadn't paid and had merely bought my item in order to have the opportunity to leave negative feedback. There were extenuating circumstances.

I don't know where you're looking on ebay but I see her feedback at 1335, which is not the same as on Toolhaus.
In this post, the OP posting a link to the listing:
http://forum.purseblog.com/coach-shopping/authenticate-this-coach-855067-543.html#post27531239

If you go to the feedback page on the "all feedback" tab, the total feedback received is shown as 1404. The reason her feedback score is lower is because there must have been some multiple feedbacks received within a short time from the same member. In those cases, only the first one counts for the score although all the feedbacks count in the "received" number. (Make sense?)
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...erid=misly&iid=-1&de=off&interval=0&items=200

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 5.28.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 5.28.45 PM.png
    100 KB · Views: 344
In this post, the OP posting a link to the listing:
http://forum.purseblog.com/coach-shopping/authenticate-this-coach-855067-543.html#post27531239

If you go to the feedback page on the "all feedback" tab, the total feedback received is shown as 1404. The reason her feedback score is lower is because there must have been some multiple feedbacks received within a short time from the same member. In those cases, only the first one counts for the score although all the feedbacks count in the "received" number. (Make sense?)
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...erid=misly&iid=-1&de=off&interval=0&items=200
Oh I get it now. Thanks. I never realized there was a different number in the section below, although I knew that multiple feedbacks from the same person on the same day only count as one.