Dior Spring 2015 bags from the runway

averagejoe

AJ
Authenticator
O.G.
Nov 22, 2006
Dior presented its RTW collection yesterday. Here is the review from Tim Blanks.

In the venue for the Dior show today, one of the most extraordinary feats in recent fashion history took place. In the Louvre's Cour Carrée, the ancient heart of an ancient palace, a mirrored tent was erected, perfectly rendering its environment in such a way that the tent was invisible. It was like the present had ceased to exist. An appropriate cue for the collection that Raf Simons showed, in which the 18th century and the 22nd century knocked boots, bypassing everything in between. The effect was compounded by the futuristic whooshing on the soundtrack and the "Beam me up, Scotty" set. We were in that bedroom at the end of the world in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Here was new life, fashion's Star Child, waiting to be born.

Simons liked what he did in July's Couture so much that he wanted to extend the experiment into ready-to-wear. Finding the future in the far past—it's a challenge that would engage an artist in any arena. But addressing that challenge in everyday clothes produced a new poetry. It didn't always work—the sprigged florals and the chintz were too stuffy—but the white cotton smocks touched with broderie anglaise were like bed shirts in some highwayman's fantasy, a wicked combination of the virginal and the salacious. And the way the clinical white futurism of the first looks was infected with floral jacquard brought was and will be together with subtle precision.

Simons made his point much more boldly when color was involved, from the pale pink of a shapely linen coat (the highwayman came to mind again) to the orange satin linen gilet that closed the show. It referenced an 18th-century court coat, which evoked the historicism of Christian Dior's original Bar silhouette. Fashion present floats on an ocean of fashion past; Simons simply chose to ride the time machine a little further back. But he paired his gilet with Bermuda shorts. It was a look you could imagine piquing the interest of the women he's drawn to Dior. A judicious blend of fantasy and reality—the Apple Watch of fashion.

I agree with his comment on how Raf's experimentation this season "didn't always work". Some of the combinations seemed a bit odd. There were some beautiful pieces, but they weren't nearly as strong as the looks from Cruise 2015.

Now, onto the bags.

The bags are a bit disappointing in that they really copy the Chanel Boy bag. And the only one that I actually like is the one without the lock on the front. The two different locks that are presented on other models looks forced, almost like they shouldn't go with this bag design. In fact, the circular lock looks terrible against the rest of the bag's rectangular shape. If Dior wants to differentiate this bag from the Boy Chanel, then there shouldn't be a lock on the front AT ALL. Without a lock, the bag looks more minimalist and in line with the Raf Simons Dior aesthetic.

I have posted some pictures below of the bags (all pictures from style.com).

Dior really has a strong enough aesthetic on its own that it doesn't need to make Dior versions of Chanel bags, although they continue to do so. It doesn't matter if Dior's version has a leather interior or better craftsmanship, because at the end of the day. I would prefer the original from Chanel.

Attachments

• AA2X1411.jpg
    AA2X1411.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 2,863
  • AA2X0273.jpg
    AA2X0273.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 2,446
  • AA2X0297.jpg
    AA2X0297.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 2,375
  • AA2X0318.jpg
    AA2X0318.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 2,473
  • AA2X0676.jpg
    AA2X0676.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 2,353
  • AA2X1384.jpg
    AA2X1384.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 2,330
  • AA2X0841.jpg
    AA2X0841.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 2,324
  • AA2X0789.jpg
    AA2X0789.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 2,297
  • AA2X0725.jpg
    AA2X0725.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 2,386
Last edited:
Reactions: Stormy C
Yah I agree with you...I love boy bags and will continue to buy those. this bag is too similar to the boy. Circular closure does look awkward on the bag and not having a lock looks cleaner and along the bags design. I guess I will be sticking with diorissimo and lady diors...

Here is the crocodile version. At least the closure makes it look more unique, but then it would be very fussy to get into.

This bag made it to WWD's Accessory of the Day (picture from WWD):

Attachments

• aod-dior.jpg
    aod-dior.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 2,292
not a big fan of this collection at all. agree that it looks too similar to the boy chanel and the O lock looks v misplaced on this bag design. somehow feel that there's no Dior touchpoint-- could pass off as bags from any other designer (especially the black bag with the blue-white flowers (?) on it) #Yikes #IllPass #NoThanks

Here is the crocodile version. At least the closure makes it look more unique, but then it would be very fussy to get into.

This bag made it to WWD's Accessory of the Day (picture from WWD):

So funny I was just about to post crocodile version of the bag and how I like that closure. Definitely unique but probably hard to get in/out of...

I'm very disappointed - I get how the one lock is supposed to look like a badge but in general the closures look very cheap. Additionally, the bag is FAR too close to the chanel boy... just very very disappointing. I haven't been a fan of any of Raf's new handbags to be honest... I know his RTW is amazing but the bags are going downhill in my opinion.

I'm very disappointed - I get how the one lock is supposed to look like a badge but in general the closures look very cheap. Additionally, the bag is FAR too close to the chanel boy... just very very disappointing. I haven't been a fan of any of Raf's new handbags to be honest... I know his RTW is amazing but the bags are going downhill in my opinion.

They should've at least changed the way the strap looked so that they could differentiate the bag more. It would be okay if the strap was just a long metal chain with no leather part. Using two thinner chains wrapped around each other (like on the older Dior Le Trente bag) could've made it more unique too.

I can see the bag looking better if it was plain quilted Cannage all over (without a lock), but let's see what Dior does with this bag. Not all bags on the runway actually make it to production, so let's hope that the ones with the lock don't get produced.

The version without a lock may stand a chance because unlike the Boy Chanel, it doesn't have a lock at all so it offers something new to the Chanel design.

The RTW was OK this season, not the best in comparison to the past season. I also have to give a thumbs down on these new bags. They are way TOO similar, almost an inspired version, to the Chanel Le Boy.

They should've at least changed the way the strap looked so that they could differentiate the bag more. It would be okay if the strap was just a long metal chain with no leather part. Using two thinner chains wrapped around each other (like on the older Dior Le Trente bag) could've made it more unique too.

I can see the bag looking better if it was plain quilted Cannage all over (without a lock), but let's see what Dior does with this bag. Not all bags on the runway actually make it to production, so let's hope that the ones with the lock don't get produced.

The version without a lock may stand a chance because unlike the Boy Chanel, it doesn't have a lock at all so it offers something new to the Chanel design.

I actually really like the large cannage print on it - I'm not sure if it's raised but if if the bag was flat with only the raised outline I'd be all over that. I think like that it's updating the cannage print, but for me the chain just doesn't go... far too masculine and too chanel. I was drawn to dior bags because they were beautifully crafted, feminine and classic - I think with Raf we're losing classic. I'm biased as I still love the old Miss Dior and I much prefer the rectangular chains than the oval ones they now use on the pouches. Still got my eye on the bar and diorissimo but these seasonal bags really do nothing for me.

Not sure how I feel about these bags. One the one hand, I always love a structured bag and I love the way they placed the D.I.O.R bijoux on base of the leather section so it would hang quite high on the shoulder. I do agree that it looks like the Chanel Boy, and I'm sad that there were no variations of the classics, or even the new Be Dior for SS15