Payments thru Ebay vs Paypal

anabg

O.G.
Sep 17, 2011
Hi,
So my question is merely for my benefit. I don't think I am being scammed or anything, but I don't know much about Ebay. The item in question is only $10, anyway.

So Friday I purchased a pokemon card for my son. It was $10 with free shipping and I paid via Paypal right away. I believe it was a BIN. Last night the seller emails me that he needs the payment to be thru Ebay. I reply this morning that I paid thru paypal and it was the method of payment listed in his auction (it was the ONLY method of payment listed, actually). But I just checked my personal emails and he returned my Paypal payment.

Now... I have honestly not the slightest idea of what a payment thru Ebay means. I don't use Ebay very often. My boyfriend is telling me there is no such a thing. I tried to go back to the auction and click on the "pay now" button and I get the message "checkout is already complete for this item".

Normally I would not care but my son thinks this card is arriving tomorrow... He is not a demanding kid so he won't be upset.. maybe a little sad. TIA!!...

Your boyfriend is right - there is no such thing is payment through eBay. If you use eBay as a seller, you have to accept PayPal (there may be exceptions for eBay in other countries, or certain higher value items, like cars).

Is the seller new? I'd send him a polite message and say that there is no other way to pay.

Your boyfriend is right - there is no such thing is payment through eBay. If you use eBay as a seller, you have to accept PayPal (there may be exceptions for eBay in other countries, or certain higher value items, like cars).

Is the seller new? I'd send him a polite message and say that there is no other way to pay.
Last week I remember seeing some seller on ebay.com that didn't take paypal. I don't know how they could do that. They mentioned another service but I can't remember which one. I know a long time ago, ebay allowed this.

Last week I remember seeing some seller on ebay.com that didn't take paypal. I don't know how they could do that. They mentioned another service but I can't remember which one. I know a long time ago, ebay allowed this.
That's allowed. Sellers aren't required to accept paypal if they take another ebay-accepted service.

Accepted Payments policy

Policy overview

Our accepted payments policy gives buyers and sellers on eBay convenient payment options. To help ensure a safe marketplace, as a seller you can only use our approved payment methods. You also must state in your listing which specific payment methods you accept.

Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
What are the guidelines?

iconAllowed_25x25.gif

Allowed

• PayPal
  • PayPal Credit
  • ProPay
  • Skrill
  • Credit card or debit card processed through the seller's Internet merchant account
  • Payment upon pickup
If you offer payment upon pickup, you may include this statement in your listing: "Contact me for payment methods to pay on pickup."

iconRestricted_25x25.gif

Restricted

• Bank-to-bank transfers (also known as bank wire transfers and bank cash transfers)
  • Checks
  • Money orders
  • Online payment services: Allpay.net, CertaPay, hyperwallet.com, Fiserv, Nochex.com, XOOM
You can only use these payment methods in certain listing categories. See the full list of categories that allow bank-to-bank transfers, checks, money orders, and online payment services.

iconNotAllowed_25x25.gif

Not Allowed

• Sending cash through the mail
  • Sending cash or money orders through instant, point-to-point cash transfer services (that aren't banks) such as Western Union or MoneyGram
  • Mailing checks or money orders (except for items in categories specifically permitted)
  • Paying through bank-to-bank transfers (except for items in categories specifically permitted)
  • Paying by "topping off" a seller's prepaid credit or debit card
  • Paying using online or other payment methods not specifically permitted in this policy
  • Asking buyers to contact you for additional payment methods
  • Offering a payment method to some buyers and not to others
  • Discouraging buyers from using any payment method you specified in the listing
  • Asking buyers to pay using a method not mentioned in the listing
  • Paying with Virtual or Cryptocurrencies
These rules apply to all transaction-related correspondence between a seller and buyer, as well as to the listings.
In addition, you aren't allowed to make statements such as:

• "Contact us for payment information."
  • "Contact us for other payment methods."
  • "Contact us for your preferred payment method."
  • "Buyers may request to pay by check or money order."

That's allowed. Sellers aren't required to accept paypal if they take another ebay-accepted service.

Accepted Payments policy

Policy overview

Our accepted payments policy gives buyers and sellers on eBay convenient payment options. To help ensure a safe marketplace, as a seller you can only use our approved payment methods. You also must state in your listing which specific payment methods you accept.

Make sure your listing follows these guidelines. If it doesn't, it may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
What are the guidelines?

pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/icons/iconAllowed_25x25.gif
Allowed

• PayPal
  • PayPal Credit
  • ProPay
  • Skrill
  • Credit card or debit card processed through the seller's Internet merchant account
  • Payment upon pickup
If you offer payment upon pickup, you may include this statement in your listing: "Contact me for payment methods to pay on pickup."

pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/icons/iconRestricted_25x25.gif
Restricted

• Bank-to-bank transfers (also known as bank wire transfers and bank cash transfers)
  • Checks
  • Money orders
  • Online payment services: Allpay.net, CertaPay, hyperwallet.com, Fiserv, Nochex.com, XOOM
You can only use these payment methods in certain listing categories. See the full list of categories that allow bank-to-bank transfers, checks, money orders, and online payment services.

pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/icons/iconNotAllowed_25x25.gif
Not Allowed

• Sending cash through the mail
  • Sending cash or money orders through instant, point-to-point cash transfer services (that aren't banks) such as Western Union or MoneyGram
  • Mailing checks or money orders (except for items in categories specifically permitted)
  • Paying through bank-to-bank transfers (except for items in categories specifically permitted)
  • Paying by "topping off" a seller's prepaid credit or debit card
  • Paying using online or other payment methods not specifically permitted in this policy
  • Asking buyers to contact you for additional payment methods
  • Offering a payment method to some buyers and not to others
  • Discouraging buyers from using any payment method you specified in the listing
  • Asking buyers to pay using a method not mentioned in the listing
  • Paying with Virtual or Cryptocurrencies
These rules apply to all transaction-related correspondence between a seller and buyer, as well as to the listings.
In addition, you aren't allowed to make statements such as:

• "Contact us for payment information."
  • "Contact us for other payment methods."
  • "Contact us for your preferred payment method."
  • "Buyers may request to pay by check or money order."
Now I remember it was skrill. I was put off the seller's items by this. I wonder how much it hurts their sales.

One time a few years ago I remember a buyer mailed me a check. There was a problem with her paypal payment. She had moved and couldn't change the address in paypal because her credit card company hadn't changed it yet. I didn't know it wasn't allowed to accept the check.

Now I remember it was skrill. I was put off the seller's items by this. I wonder how much it hurts their sales.

One time a few years ago I remember a buyer mailed me a check. There was a problem with her paypal payment. She had moved and couldn't change the address in paypal because her credit card company hadn't changed it yet. I didn't know it wasn't allowed to accept the check.
You ARE allowed to accept a check. You just aren't allowed to advertise it or tell the buyer. The buyer needs to initiate the request to pay by check. (The reason for that is that there's no buyer protection. Once the check clears, it's as though the seller received cash.)

You ARE allowed to accept a check. You just aren't allowed to advertise it or tell the buyer. The buyer needs to initiate the request to pay by check. (The reason for that is that there's no buyer protection. Once the check clears, it's as though the seller received cash.)

Do you remember the old days when payment was via check? :smile:

I thought she was crazy to send the check. I hope she didn't try that with a dishonest seller.