Home & Garden Mattress Too Firm: Featherbed vs. Memory/Gel Foam Topper?

Hello All,

My new (non-refundable) mattress is too firm for me and I was wondering if anyone uses a featherbed and/or foam topper and can give me some feedback. Is one considered better than other? What are the disadvantages to each? Also, brand suggestions would be great as well.

Thanks!

Reactions: jamie2214
Well, I have had a featherbed....they go flat. Go for a 3 in. Memoryfoam mattress topper, I also had one of those. Loved it so much, I then bought a Memoryfoam mattress

We have a much-too-firm mattress and find that the best way to make sleeping more comfortable is with a baffled feather bed. You do need to fluff it up every so often, but the baffles keep it from going completely flat like a traditional feather bed which needs to be fluffed daily.
You can make the featherbed even more cushioning by slipping beneath it an egg carton-foam mattress pad. They're available for about $25 at stores like JoAnn's and Hancock's. In fact I find the featherbed/egg carton foam mattress pad combination to feel heavenly.
We've tried a 4" memory foam topper. DH liked it. I didn't it. I found it too warm and kept rolling toward the center of the mattress. Most people love memory foam toppers, but I'm the odd duck who disliked it and happily tossed it after a year.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you feel that the memory foam topper got too hot or emitted an odor?

I had a memory form topper on top of a memory form mattress and it was too hot for me. Instead, did a lot of search online and settled on this extra plush, extra thick mattress topper that's made in America. Have used it for about 5 months now and am loving it. Feel free to check it out. http://amzn.to/ZdW0Ah

i bought an inexpensive memory foam top from overstock. i started with the 3 inch, but moved to the 4 inch (big difference).

i'm not sure if it is true memory foam (it has the fingers, so it's not solid) but it doesn't overheat, so we are happy. a few tears in the foam over the 1st year, but i just taped the bottom of it..and it's been working for about 2 years. it made a huge difference from our old mattress, and we have no need for a new one. i'm a side sleeper, and sleep like a baby.

i think this is the one we bought 2 years ago. again probably not true high end memory foam...but it is very soft, and doesn't get too hot.

http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Ba...tress-Topper/4756893/product.html?searchidx=0

I have allergies so no featherbed for us. We have a memory foam mattress (not TemperPedic) as well as a 3" memory foam topper for a very firm guest bed. The thing to do is get a mattress pad that has some padding to it so the warmth generated doesn't reach the sleeping person. Ours (mattress cover/pad) isn't all that puffy but it's another fabric layer between the foam and our bodies.

We'll never go back after getting used to the memory foam and a topper makes a big difference on a bed that's too firm. It's so kind to the joints and the back, IMO.

I have allergies so no featherbed for us. We have a memory foam mattress (not TemperPedic) as well as a 3" memory foam topper for a very firm guest bed. The thing to do is get a mattress pad that has some padding to it so the warmth generated doesn't reach the sleeping person. Ours (mattress cover/pad) isn't all that puffy but it's another fabric layer between the foam and our bodies.

We'll never go back after getting used to the memory foam and a topper makes a big difference on a bed that's too firm. It's so kind to the joints and the back, IMO.

i've become so used to the extra cushioning on my bed, that it is difficult to travel/stay in another bed. i toss and turn.

I bought a W Hotel featherbed for my super cheap (<$150 queen mattress) and it has worked very well as our guest bed for over 2 years. Simply fluff it from time to time. Doesn't get hot and the guests have always complimented how comfy it is. Mine does not look like their current model, mine was divided into squares and not vertical lines, but I assume the comfort is the same.

I had previously used a nice foam topper and it was a night and day difference when I switched to the featherbed.

Our current master bed is a Beautyrest Black Edition we got on sale and it is phenomenal.