Considering selling all designer bags to buy a birkin. Help me weigh the pros/cons

fashion16

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
I have YSL, LV, Prada and Fendi bags and I am considering selling them all to buy a used birkin.

Here are some of my considerations:
A birkin is my UHG
I love the style
The right one can go with anything
I should have this for years (although the same could be said for some of my other designer bags)

Cons:
I work in a high profile position and while I wear designers, carrying a birkin to work would bring about A LOT of negative attention.
I would literally be down to 1 bag except for a clutch.
I can't carry a birkin bag w/ a coach wallet so that would need to be upgraded.
If anything major happened to a $10k bag (someone spilled coffee on it or something) I think I would vomit....literally.
I cannot justify spending the money without selling all of my other bags. I could afford it but I don't think that is responsible or practical. No judgement being placed on anyone but regardless of your income level, $10k in the bank is always better than $10k on your arm.

HELP!

I have YSL, LV, Prada and Fendi bags and I am considering selling them all to buy a used birkin.

A birkin is my UHG
I love the style
I should have this for years (although the same could be said for some of my other designer bags)

Cons:
I work in a high profile position and while I wear designers, carrying a birkin to work would bring about A LOT of negative attention.
If anything major happened to a $10k bag (someone spilled coffee on it or something) I think I would vomit....literally.
I cannot justify spending the money without selling all of my other bags. I could afford it but I don't think that is responsible or practical. No judgement being placed on anyone but regardless of your income level, $10k in the bank is always better than $10k on your arm.

HELP!

Personally, I think you just answered to your own question. I can never wear one bag the whole year, and if accidents (coffee spills, robbery, or bag stolen) is something you can't live past, then I wouldn't do it. Plus, you say that wearing a birkin to work will attract a lot of unwanted attention...but if you only have one bag, what other one are you going to wear for work?

Sounds like more cons than pros. You should really think twice about it. From the stories that I read here, people regret most of the time after doing that.

personally, i think you just answered to your own question. I can never wear one bag the whole year, and if accidents (coffee spills, robbery, or bag stolen) is something you can't live past, then i wouldn't do it. Plus, you say that wearing a birkin to work will attract a lot of unwanted attention...but if you only have one bag, what other one are you going to wear for work?

+1

First... have you seen this thread: Ever purged your collection in pursuit of one bag? How did it go?

... for differing opinions/advice on selling bags to buy a Bikin... ;)

A birkin is my UHG
I love the style

Cons:

HELP!

Cons:
I can't carry a birkin bag w/ a coach wallet so that would need to be upgraded. ACTUALLY, YES YOU CAN - WHO WOULD KNOW THE DIFFERENCE IN YOUR CIRCLE?

HELP!

Woman. You just answered yourself. And I was getting ill just reading this post. Literally.

Obviously the Birkin is important to you, but you know on all levels that is not something you could carry off for many reasons, so it needs to be one of those "I'd love to, but .." and leave it at that.

For the price, you could commission a painting of the Birkin and hang it in either your home office or some other important place to you, and let it be a reminder of what's important to you.

Second...

Are you hoping to be talked into selling your bags to buy a Birkin... or out of selling your bags to buy a Birkin? :P

Here are some things to consider:

If the thought of something major happening to your B makes you literally vomit... and you think that buying a B outright (even though you can afford to) is not responsible... and you believe that $10K in the bank is better than on your arm...

Until you find some way to work around these cons/concerns/beliefs... will you ever feel confident about a decision to replace all of your bags but one clutch with a B?

On the other hand...

In the end... it's not an entirely irrevocable decision. If you buy a used B... realize that it's not for you... you can consign it... and slowly start to rebuild your collection with new bags/brands.

On the other hand... if you buy a B... you might fall in love with H... and you might find yourself slowly starting to rebuild your collection with other H bags.

Either way... it's not the end of the world... whichever path you take. They're your bags... for your collection... do what you want to do. :smile:

A birkin is my UHG
I love the style

Cons:

HELP!

Last edited:
I couldn't spend that much on a bag
And if it was going to bring unwanted attention at work, that would bother me
And I'd be afraid that some day I'd feel I wasn't that much in love with the bag.
Do you really think you'd want to carry that bag every day for the next several years? or forever?
As others have said, I think you've answered your own question

The Birkin is a stunning bag, but I don't think It's the kind of bag you can use everyday.
Not necessarily because you would be afraid something might happen to it , ladies who have got one are very careful, but because it does not serve all purposes.
It ´s a big bag.... And a heavy one. Try to spend a whole afternoon shopping while carrying it... and you will be exhausted from the weight. It has no shoulder strap. It is a hand carried bag and if you are used to wearing hobos, shoulder bags or cross bodies... It will make a big difference.
But.... It is also a bag which you can resell without losing money if you get tired of it.
In conclusion, I will say the Birkin is okay..... as long as it is not the only bag you have...

I used to have 2 Birkins. Sold them both, never missed either for a minute.
Too heavy, too expensive, too hard to access your things, don't like all that attention drawn to me or the bag.
Also, I can be fickle and my tastes change yearly so always like to keep my options open.

That being said, I'm hooked on some H scarves and accessories, but no bags.

Let us know what you decide.

I couldn't spend that much on a bag
And if it was going to bring unwanted attention at work, that would bother me
And I'd be afraid that some day I'd feel I wasn't that much in love with the bag.
Do you really think you'd want to carry that bag every day for the next several years? or forever?
As others have said, I think you've answered your own question

I agree. That's some crazy money.

I have a Birkin35 that I've carried 3 times in the past 2 years. If I would've sold my other bags to purchase it I would certainly be in trouble. It does get very heavy throughout the day.

In my opinion, it's more of a casual tote. I never carry it to dressy events or even out to dinner. I know that some people love them, but I find mine to be a little impractical.

HELP!

I feel you fashion16, I too would love a birkin but for me at this point in time it's definitely one of those better in theory/as a dream than reality things...

The negative attn at work is a big issue for me too, I have a BV jacket that I absolutely love but I try not to wear to work (academic setting) where it'll more likely than not make the wrong impression. The only time I did wear it, a very puzzled colleague asked me if it was designer and I panicked and blurted out that it was fake. :sweatdrop:

Anyway, on the other hand, if you really are no longer enamored of your other bags, i can see no reason why you shouldn't sell those and buy something you will love - and can always resell in the future too.

Why punish yourself by limiting your selling to just bags? How about selling some jewelry or any other collectibles? Or take on an extra temporary job to supplement your selling effort? It may take a little longer or more coordinating effort than just selling bags but these days with so many people feeling their bags aren't selling for what they hoped, it might give you the chance to re-examine what is worth keeping and what isn't in a broader sense.