Bottega Veneta Mini Messenger Bag aka Disco Bag Reveal

zjajkj

O.G.
Aug 17, 2008
Hello everyone,

Thanks to many celebrities especially Cameron Diaz and Roku's beautiful pictures here: http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/chanel-woc-vs-bottega-veneta-mini-messenger-876132.html

I decided to get myself the Bottega Veneta Mini Messenger bag aka Disco bag!

I have owned the Chanel Half Moon WOC, Dior Large Pochette, Hermes Dogon Belt Bag and now the BV Disco bag (am not sure how will I feel with this, will probably update later).

I used to love my Chanel Half Moon WOC so much that I started the WOC thread by consolidating many of our lovely tpfers' WOC together, glad to know many are in love with it which the popularity also triggered its price going higher and higher. :tdown:

So together with many other oldies Chanel tpfer who already stop collecting Chanel/s (either have enough, not satisfied with the consistent price increase with quality dropping, or simply decided to stop buying Chanel), I moved on and found the Dior Large Pochette.

Chanel Half Moon WOC vs Dior New Lock Pochette. I prefer the Dior New Lock Pochette.
1. Dior lambskin leather is TDF
2. The style is so chic, can be formal or casual.
The only thing i didn't like was that there was no zipper compartment and also the opening closure itself was not something I fancy.

And then I moved on and found the Hermes Dogon Belt Bag. I prefer the Hermes Dogon Belt Bag.
1. One can never fight Hermes style and leather
2. I love the opening closure.
3. Love it so much that I bought 2 of them
Totally regretted that I sold both of them and there is no way I can get it back. :noggin:

And now finally my star of the day. The Disco Bag

Does anyone knows what colour is this? It is so lovely! The colour changes in different lighting and look best with natural sunlight. It is like purplish brownish greyish kind. Love the colour

The bag itself is very light and some owners of this bag mentioned that they don't feel like they are carrying the bag at all. I do like and understand from other poster that their experience was that the bag will stay by your body when is cross body and not swing around (which was something I appreciate deeply with my Hermes Dogon Belt bag).

Some poster mentioned that it has quite the 007 feel where there are many compartments and only the owner knows where she put her own things (also something I appreciate with the Hermes Dogon Belt bag as many people has trouble opening the bag, some figuring to do to realise how to open and close, not so clear-cut). I term it as a 'clever design' for both the BV Disco and Hermes Dogon Belt.

Then the leather. Well, after owning both brands, I dare say their quality are superb, far superior than many other brands! I love Hermes Swift Leather (my Birkin 30 and Kelly 25 are both in Swift leather). I love BV Intrecciato Leather as well! I especially love how BV bags interior are lined in Suede and also most of which are of lighter weight as compared to Hermes.

Then the quality. Again BV and Hermes quality are top notch! Recently, I am again back to the BV Craze. However the only cons about BV was that they really should increase their classic line. Many bags they design are so nice and lovely but they only stay for a few season then disappeared (i do not understand why such business model) but I do hope more bags are added as classic line such that it is everlasting.

pt2014_09_19_20_49_57_zpsc4e61a5e.jpg

pt2014_09_19_20_46_18_zpsae212de8.jpg

Formal/Party:

pt2014_09_19_20_55_47_zps86f70c31.jpg

pt2014_09_19_20_55_00_zpsbf3bdaa9.jpg

pt2014_09_19_20_56_13_zpsbf6e8e9a.jpg

Casual:

pt2014_09_19_20_58_00_zps3f9f46c2.jpg

pt2014_09_19_20_57_24_zps10593c5d.jpg

What do I fit in:

pt2014_09_19_20_51_45_zps267b3098.jpg

Upside-down large compartment:
- Rayban sunglasses in NaRaYa pouch
- Ear piece
- Lipgloss
- Comb

Zip compartment:
- Bills (go in flat straight)
- Coins (if any)
- Cards (3 cc slots available where you can double up)

Flap-over compartment:
- A pack of tissue paper
(the snap button are useless, it is difficult to button up, so I won't be buttoning up, whichever the case, it doesn't matter, your things won't fall out).

I do hope I will enjoy this bag as well much I love my Hermes Dogon Belt Bag. :smile:
Finger crossed… I believe I will as it has already won in the clever design, leather and quality part.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those with a lower budget and smart spending, I strongly recommend the LongChamp Le Pliage Cuir Mini Crossbody:

http://forum.purseblog.com/longchamp/longchamp-le-pliage-cuir-mini-crossbody-880081.html

I love it sooooooo much that I am now using it everyday as my office lunch bag and I think I am going to get an additional one to put at home. The love I had for it is matching the love that I had for my Hermes Dogon Belt bag.

This cute little Longchamp piece is so worth the price! So functional!

Hope my reviews together with the pictures and mod pic helps whoever are interested to get any of the bags.
Cheers

What an in depth review! I own the same BV crossbody bag and didn't know it was also called the disco bag. I am amazed that you can fit in a pair of ray bans. I must try it too. Love LC for their functionality and you've tempted me to get the Cuir crossbody too. A red will be lovely!

I have the Longchamp pliage cuir--the best travel bag IMO.
I carry a bigger tote with it for everything else. Keys/phone/wallet/sunnies in the Longchamp.

Did I see you got an umbrella in your Longchamp?

Nice review.

Very comprehensive review dinitegrity! Well done! I haven't stopped using mine since I got it. It's very light, stays on the hip and can "magically" fit quite a lot!

Does anyone knows what colour is this? It is so lovely! The colour changes in different lighting and look best with natural sunlight. It is like purplish brownish greyish kind. Love the colour

BTW, if you'd post the back side of the white authenticity label (hopefully it's not one of the new ones with only one row of numbers) we can tell you what color you have. :smile: If it is one row of numbers, ask your BV SA.

I need that NaRaYa pouch for my Ray Bans - where could I find that in the US?

Great review, din!

Hi Indiaink, Naraya is from Thailand. There are some resellers in Asia but I am not sure about the US. I searched eBay and there are some options there. Naraya makes a wide variety of products: cosmetic cases, pouches, bags and even rice cooker covers. I am not sure about fake Naraya products (the brand itself is very affordable) and the ones I bought from Thailand had lasted me well over ten years and still looks new. Hope you find it, otherwise there is always Etsy. :smile:

What an in depth review! I own the same BV crossbody bag and didn't know it was also called the disco bag. I am amazed that you can fit in a pair of ray bans. I must try it too. Love LC for their functionality and you've tempted me to get the Cuir crossbody too. A red will be lovely!

Hi frenziedhandbag, yes Red will be so lovely. I wanted Grey initially, OOS, then wanted Red, OOS. Just my luck, got the basic Black then, but hey is practical right. :P

I need that NaRaYa pouch for my Ray Bans - where could I find that in the US?

Great review, din!

BTW, if you'd post the back side of the white authenticity label (hopefully it's not one of the new ones with only one row of numbers) we can tell you what color you have. :smile: If it is one row of numbers, ask your BV SA.

Hi indiaink, my husband always purchase many for me whenever he goes to Bangkok. It is really affordable. I know Taipei and Singapore has outlets as well. I especially ask my husband to pick out those with spongy material because they are so functional to keep my makeups.

I press my finger on one of my makeup pouch, look at how spongy it is! Also shows you how the Sunglass pouch looks like. Go download our local app called 'Carousell' where I got my sunglass pouch, I am sure the sellers will not mind to mail overseas.

As for the colour, unfortunately the tag has a one row of number instead of the old ones with many different alphabets and numbers. But with natural sunlight today (beside my Louis Vuitton Empreinte Aube Fascinante):

I have the Longchamp pliage cuir--the best travel bag IMO.
I carry a bigger tote with it for everything else. Keys/phone/wallet/sunnies in the Longchamp.

Did I see you got an umbrella in your Longchamp?

Nice review.

Hi Longchamp, yes it is like such a great bag!! I used my Camel 25cm for travel too, so comfy, functional and versatile!

I got the short umbrella for my Chanel flap initially. But realise the short umbrella can fit many bags as well. It is now seated in my PS1 Tiny work bag everyday:

http://forum.purseblog.com/proenza-schouler/ps1-tiny-lux-le-fleur-de-lys-878386.html

And surprisingly, it does fit in the LongChamp Mini Crossbody too. :smile:

The left side short umbrella for almost my every bag from Hermes Picotin Lock PM, Chanel Flap, PS1 Tiny (Japanese Brand which I got from Isetan Department store) for around S$16:
- Really good and is quite huge when open up. Easy to open and close

The middle super lightweight and slim umbrella (Japanese Brand which I got from Takashimaya Department store) for around S$70:
- Most expensive umbrella of mine ever
- Super lightweight (nothing beats it)
- Difficult to open and close as it is flap up

Tips: When buying foldable umbrella, do not buy those flap up ones. Total annoyance

The right side umbrella is just a normal slim umbrella where I got from Taiwan (bought many of it from Taiwan):
- Not bad.

Cheapest place where I got my Umbrella are from Taiwan/Guangzhou.
NT190 for normal slim umbrella just to shelter from rain
NT 290 (the one I got) with UV to protect from the sun.
About RMB$40 in Guangzhou

Last edited:
Very comprehensive review dinitegrity! Well done! I haven't stopped using mine since I got it. It's very light, stays on the hip and can "magically" fit quite a lot!

Hi gagabag, I saw your Aubergine one! It is really nice. It was also the post that makes me wanna buy it. Initially I thought mine was the Aubergine colour, do you think it looks like yours?

I think yours has a richer maroon hue. While mine kind of grey off somehow
Regardless of which, both are really nice colour. BV is always good in making colours especially the ambiguous kind, mine was like Greyish Purplish Brownish. Love...

Such a thorough review! I'm curious of what the color is of your mini messenger.

Hi NYCgirl, I am curious myself too. :graucho:

Great review!

Thanks thedseer ;)