Help! Seller wants more money!

LouboutinNerd

In Shoe Land!!
O.G.
Oct 10, 2008
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the ebay forum and am hoping for a little advice. I tried to search for my topic, but didn't see any replies, so please forgive me if this has been asked. Yesterday, I won an auction for a pair of shoes. I promptly paid with Paypal within 5 minutes of the auction ending. This morning, I received an email from the seller saying that she was going to refund my money because she wanted more money for the shoes and couldn't sell them to me for this price. There was no reserve set on the auction. I am not sure what to do. I would like the shoes as they are a HG for me, but ethically I don't feel like I should pay more since I won the auction fairly. Does ebay offer any kind of recourse for situations like this? Thanks in advance :smile:.

Unfortunately, no one can force the seller to send the shoes that you won fair and square. The only recourse is to leave appropriate feedback (in this instance, I think negative is fair) to warn other potential bidders in future auctions.

This is kind of tough. The seller is not allowed to ask for more money after the auction ends. However, you can't make the seller ship the item, even if you report them to eBay. I would start by sending the seller a polite email that explains that the auction had no reserve, and you'd appreciate her sending the item.

If the seller isn't receptive, and you've paid (and I would recommend doing so if you haven't), and the seller refunds / requests cancellation, you can leave negative feedback and not agree to cancel (so the seller will lose their fees).

The other option is to agree to pay the seller more if you really want the shoes, but only you can decide how you really feel about that.

Do not pay more or agree to mutually cancel the transaction. A seller can't ask for more after the auction ends - that's not how ebay works! You can't force them to sell them to you but you can report them to ebay and leave appropriate feedback.

I would not offfer any more money for these shoes. You won them fair & square
sort of speaking. You can e-mail the seller & share your disappointment, but likely
this will not have much impact since the seller already told you she wants more money.

Unfortunately neither you or ebay can force your seller to ship the shoes, however,
you can leave negative feedback which I would do & of course if you have already
paid, would not agree to a mutual cancellation.

What kind of feedback does this seller have? Any indication that she has done this
before?

Unfortunately, no one can force the seller to send the shoes that you won fair and square. The only recourse is to leave appropriate feedback (in this instance, I think negative is fair) to warn other potential bidders in future auctions.

Thank you so much for your advice. I hate leaving negative feedback, but I do feel like if I don't end up paying more that I would want others to know what she is doing.

This is kind of tough. The seller is not allowed to ask for more money after the auction ends. However, you can't make the seller ship the item, even if you report them to eBay. I would start by sending the seller a polite email that explains that the auction had no reserve, and you'd appreciate her sending the item.

If the seller isn't receptive, and you've paid (and I would recommend doing so if you haven't), and the seller refunds / requests cancellation, you can leave negative feedback and not agree to cancel (so the seller will lose their fees).

The other option is to agree to pay the seller more if you really want the shoes, but only you can decide how you really feel about that.

Thanks! I did pay (in fact, within 5 minutes of the auction ending). I also sent her a nice message asking this and she declined and basically told me how much more I would need to pay in order to get the shoes. It's pretty disappointing that ebay doesn't care that sellers do this, but I guess my only options at this point are to either get a refund and not agree to cancel or pay more. I really appreciate your feedback!
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:
I would not offfer any more money for these shoes. You won them fair & square
sort of speaking. You can e-mail the seller & share your disappointment, but likely
this will not have much impact since the seller already told you she wants more money.

Unfortunately neither you or ebay can force your seller to ship the shoes, however,
you can leave negative feedback which I would do & of course if you have already
paid, would not agree to a mutual cancellation.

What kind of feedback does this seller have? Any indication that she has done this
before?

Thanks for your reply! She has almost 400 feedback, 100% positive so I had no indication that she would do this. Is this a common occurrence amongst sellers?
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Thanks for your reply. she has almost 400 feedback, 100% positive so I had no indication that she would do this. Is this a common occurrence amongst sellers?

Not really but there are sellers who do this & it simply is unacceptable.

Are these shoes very difficult to find in the marketplace? If not,
they will turn up again sometimes sooner than later.

Sorry about all of this.It is disappointing & doesn't give you
a good feeling..

But leaving NEGATIVE is important in this case, IMO

Other buyers should not have to be subjected to a seller such as this

Not really but there are sellers who do this & it simply is unacceptable.

Are these shoes very difficult to find in the marketplace? If not,
they will turn up again sometimes sooner than later.

Sorry about all of this.It is disappointing & doesn't give you
a good feeling..

But leaving NEGATIVE is important in this case, IMO

Other buyers should not have to be subjected to a seller such as this

Yes, they are almost impossible to find, hence the reason I assume she is doing this. It is quite disappointing, you are correct. I think I can do what she is asking I just don't feel like I should. It just feels like a lose-lose situation. I'm going to try to ask her kindly one more time to reconsider and if she doesn't accept I'm going to leave the negative feedback. Thanks so much for chiming in :smile:.

Send the seller a polite and non-threatening message to let her know the reserve policy and what happens when a listing ends without a reserve.

Here's the policy:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-reserve.html

And here's the rules for sellers (with the pertinent part copied):
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-ov.html

In fact, your seller even went a step beyond one of the ones not allowed. Rather than ending the listing early because she didn't think the price was high enough (which would have been a violation), your seller allowed the listing to end and after your payment, refused to follow through.

You say the seller has 400 feedback, but how many are as a seller? If this is an experienced seller, she knows what she did is wrong. OTOH, if the feedbacks were as a buyer, she may not have known that her fee circumvention of reserve fees and subsequent non-followthrough on the sale is a policy violation which can negatively impact her ebay account.

She needs enlightenment of the rules.

If she's aware of the rules and still doesn't do the correct thing, she deserves appropriate feedback, which you ARE allowed to leave since you paid.

Additionally, you can report the seller even if you can't force her to ship.

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the ebay forum and am hoping for a little advice. I tried to search for my topic, but didn't see any replies, so please forgive me if this has been asked. Yesterday, I won an auction for a pair of shoes. I promptly paid with Paypal within 5 minutes of the auction ending. This morning, I received an email from the seller saying that she was going to refund my money because she wanted more money for the shoes and couldn't sell them to me for this price. There was no reserve set on the auction. I am not sure what to do. I would like the shoes as they are a HG for me, but ethically I don't feel like I should pay more since I won the auction fairly. Does ebay offer any kind of recourse for situations like this? Thanks in advance :smile:.

WTH! Seriously! The Seller is Not allowed to try and Extort more money from you! You won them at the reserve price. If the Seller wanted more money they should have had a higher reserve price! If it were Me? I would report them to eBay and leave Negative feedback, other buyers need to know what a shady seller this is. IMO. :nogood:

Hello Everyone,

Report the seller and leave neg if she breaks the binding contract. That is the risk you take selling. Ridiculous. I hope you get your shoes:smile:

Send the seller a polite and non-threatening message to let her know the reserve policy and what happens when a listing ends without a reserve.

Here's the policy:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-reserve.html

And here's the rules for sellers (with the pertinent part copied):
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-ov.html

In fact, your seller even went a step beyond one of the ones not allowed. Rather than ending the listing early because she didn't think the price was high enough (which would have been a violation), your seller allowed the listing to end and after your payment, refused to follow through.

You say the seller has 400 feedback, but how many are as a seller? If this is an experienced seller, she knows what she did is wrong. OTOH, if the feedbacks were as a buyer, she may not have known that her fee circumvention of reserve fees and subsequent non-followthrough on the sale is a policy violation which can negatively impact her ebay account.

She needs enlightenment of the rules.

If she's aware of the rules and still doesn't do the correct thing, she deserves appropriate feedback, which you ARE allowed to leave since you paid.

Additionally, you can report the seller even if you can't force her to ship.

Thank you for this link, I was looking for something like this on ebay but hadn't found it. I sent her a polite (but firm) email stating that I would appreciate her reconsideration since I won the auction fairly and that I would leave appropriate feedback if she didn't follow through. I will use this link if she is still taking the same stance, and will report her as well. She has 66 feedback as a seller, so not totally experienced but I would assume experienced enough to know better. I would paste the link to her feedback but I am not sure if this is allowed or not.

WTH! Seriously! The Seller is Not allowed to try and Extort more money from you! You won them at the reserve price. If the Seller wanted more money they should have had a higher reserve price! If it were Me? I would report them to eBay and leave Negative feedback, other buyers need to know what a shady seller this is. IMO. :nogood:

Report the seller and leave neg if she breaks the binding contract. That is the risk you take selling. Ridiculous. I hope you get your shoes:smile:

Thank you both, yes, this is quite aggravating and I can't believe that I have sent her a few messages and she is still trying to do this. I appreciate both of your help! I will keep you posted on what she comes back with. :flowers:

Thank you for this link, I was looking for something like this on ebay but hadn't found it. I sent her a polite (but firm) email stating that I would appreciate her reconsideration since I won the auction fairly and that I would leave appropriate feedback if she didn't follow through. I will use this link if she is still taking the same stance, and will report her as well. She has 66 feedback as a seller, so not totally experienced but I would assume experienced enough to know better. I would paste the link to her feedback but I am not sure if this is allowed or not.

Please do not tell the seller that you will appropriate feedback (this
could be construed by your seller as feedback extortion) if she doesn't
follow through.

You have shared your thoughts & the seller will do as she pleases
unfortunately & ebay can't force her either to ship the shoes.

You won those shoes fair & square & if she wanted more $$ she should
have done a reseve or she should have done a buy it now..

Leaving NEGATIVE FEEDBACK will not reflect well & be a word of caution
for future buyers..and with 66 transactions under her belt (as a seller), she should know better!!