Wear of piping trim

Dec 17, 2013
Hi all, I am eyeing a preloved Bal bag right now and the owner described that the piping trim is worn with the leather showing through. I am very new to Bal and had not seen that many Bal bags to understand whether this is just usual wear (which I am fine with) or does it mean the piping might split and tear very soon? I am sorry I can't enlarge the photo any further but I have circled the areas. Thank you very much for your kind advice.

Attachments

• 1410783841258.jpg
    1410783841258.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 283
Hi all, I am eyeing a preloved Bal bag right now and the owner described that the piping trim is worn with the leather showing through. I am very new to Bal and had not seen that many Bal bags to understand whether this is just usual wear (which I am fine with) or does it mean the piping might split and tear very soon? I am sorry I can't enlarge the photo any further but I have circled the areas. Thank you very much for your kind advice.
You are going to have to post better pictures. The area you have circled seems to maybe be more of a sealant problem area.

You are going to have to post better pictures. The area you have circled seems to maybe be more of a sealant problem area.

Hi Kemilia, I hope this picture shows up better. I searched through the forum on sealant issues and they do not look similar to this photo (I hope it shows the condition of the bag better). The leather is showing through (the lighter colored area) and runs through the entire length of the piping trim and it is happening on both sides of the piping trim of the bag. Will love to hear your opinion on it and once again, a big thank you!

Attachments

• Bal.png
    Bal.png
    438.1 KB · Views: 228

Hi,
This is actually not piping, but just the edge coating along the top of the bag. Usually it wears off with extended use, unless special care is taken. In other words, it is quite common.

The only way I've found to minimize this wear is to carry my bags by their handles. The edge coating along the top wears off as they tend to curve in the center when carried with the long strap for extended periods.

It is not easily fixable, but I don't think it harms the functionality of the bag, nor does it cause further damage that I can tell.

Hi,
This is actually not piping, but just the edge coating along the top of the bag. Usually it wears off with extended use, unless special care is taken. In other words, it is quite common.

The only way I've found to minimize this wear is to carry my bags by their handles. The edge coating along the top wears off as they tend to curve in the center when carried with the long strap for extended periods.

It is not easily fixable, but I don't think it harms the functionality of the bag, nor does it cause further damage that I can tell.

Hi Conni,

Thank you so much for sharing this insight with me. I am hugely relieved that the bag will not damage further and that this is usual wear (which I do not mind as much). The bag, as a whole looks to be in good condition, with only this aspect along the tops of the bag. I didn't know carrying the longer strap over time causes this and I thought initially to minimise darkening of the handles by using the handles occasionally. Another valuable tip learnt. Many thanks again, for that. ♥ this forum, and of course, all the lovely ladies like you! : )

Yes, between the handle darkening and the edge coat deteriorating, I take my chances with the handles. (Also minimize this with Apple Guard's Rain n Stain Protection, or LMB's For Handles Only).

Hi Conni,

Thank you so much for sharing this insight with me. I am hugely relieved that the bag will not damage further and that this is usual wear (which I do not mind as much). The bag, as a whole looks to be in good condition, with only this aspect along the tops of the bag. I didn't know carrying the longer strap over time causes this and I thought initially to minimise darkening of the handles by using the handles occasionally. Another valuable tip learnt. Many thanks again, for that. ♥ this forum, and of course, all the lovely ladies like you! : )