2014 Touch Up Paint Thread

couture*genes

Jan 27, 2009
The purpose of this thread is an updated discussion of paints available today (Fall 2014)-- as the older threads are closed and do not offer current solutions. My goal:

1. to touch up a few knicks from a singular wear
  2. to then use smartphone protective film which, from what I've read, is the most popular method for protecting my soles without changing them (Vibram, foot petals, etc will all change them and therefore are not on my list). Since the whole point of the protective film is to keep them looking original, I want to touch up before I apply it.
My journey thus far:

• First: I bought Angelus Walk on Red. I sanded lightly and applied. It is thin (which is good-- too thick leaves to great a margin for error) and easy to apply. However, it is not Louboutin red. It's at least two shades off and while it's only two shades-- I could have gotten the same thing for $3 from Joann's. So I was frustrated. Now my soles don’t have knicks, they have orange patches. AND, I sanded more than I needed to thinking that if the paint were a true match, it wouldn't matter for color and would blend better for texture. I was wrong. FAIL

• Second: I used Christian Louboutin nail polish. Yes the Christian Louboutin nail polish that I purchased at the same time as my shoes. Too thick. Not the same color as my 2014 Simple 70 soles. And difficult to apply. FAIL

• Third: I created a custom color. Thinking that all Walk on Red needed was a teensy drop of blue to bring it to the right shade, I went to Joann’s, bought oil-based acrylic paint and about $20 worth of missing jars and supplies. Brought blue home and attempted to mix. WRONG. Either the Joann’s paint was too thick or Walk on Red is water based or both. No blending occurred. All I got was orangey red paint with little beads of blue in it. FAIL

• Fourth: I created another custom color. I called Angelus and asked if I could mix their (own) paints for a custom shade. Rep said yes. Perfect. I ordered Sapphire Blue, waited 3 days for delivery, and mixed. Result: reddish greenish brown. FAIL.

• Fifth: I search on eBay for someone else's custom color. Various sellers offer their own “custom blend.” I used Toolhaus to read buyer reviews which was a PIA because not all reviews were about the paint. Eventually, I narrowed it down to one seller whose reviews were not good for speed or customer service, but who did not have a single review complaining that the match was off.
And now I wait. She hasn’t even sent it yet— keeps sending me promises that it’s on its way. I am irritated beyond reason— I’m now at least $70 in and all I wanted was a little touch up paint. If this freaking $30 jar of paint ever shows up, it better match or I swear to God...

Attachments

• Perfect Samples Photo.jpg
    Perfect Samples Photo.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 963
  • paints photo.JPG
    paints photo.JPG
    307.5 KB · Views: 874
  • tools photo_edited-1.jpg
    tools photo_edited-1.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 842
  • custom photo_edited-1.jpg
    custom photo_edited-1.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 866
This is some serious dedication! Good luck!

I have to ask though--it seems like the smartphone covering would make the sole pretty slippery, no?

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

I used red plasti-dip (got it for 10 dollars) for the bottoms of my sandals. They lasted all summer with it until I peeled it off because it got too dirty. I will reapply it. The color was a perfect match (but it attracts dust easily, but it can be wiped off), and it provides a slight rubbery effect. I definitely recommend it and I would search for a tutorial on applying it here on the forum (someone else did it and said it didn't last, but mine did! I did 4 coats of it, applying in opposite directions after each time it dried).

Drumroll please...! It's a perfect match. Tada! I hereby retract all earlier frustration with said custom paint seller. She turned out to rock. She's been responding to my obsessive texts all day with little tips and tricks. I am so impressed. I'd share but I don't think I'm allowed to, am?

I'll post photos when they're dry. Pretty stoked about this.

I have to ask though--it seems like the smartphone covering would make the sole pretty slippery, no?

I wondered the same thing! I haven't seen any complaints about it but once I am done with the painting stage, I plan to investigate the Zagg more carefully. I have two year old identical twins and work full time as a lawyer so I do not have time for shoe-related injury! :giggles:

I used red plasti-dip (got it for 10 dollars) for the bottoms of my sandals. They lasted all summer with it until I peeled it off because it got too dirty. I will reapply it. The color was a perfect match (but it attracts dust easily, but it can be wiped off), and it provides a slight rubbery effect. I definitely recommend it and I would search for a tutorial on applying it here on the forum (someone else did it and said it didn't last, but mine did! I did 4 coats of it, applying in opposite directions after each time it dried).
Thanks, dude. Once my paint dries, I plan to explore the plasti-dip. A little intimidated by the whole peeling off thing... it's not just the cost of my Loubs, it's the size. This size is nearly freaking impossible to find and took me months of leaving messages for various snotty sales reps.

i'll be very interested in the result for painting... so far since i could not find any good paint solution and i do not want to vibram, i've been taping... :smile:

Attachments

• CLtape1.jpg
    CLtape1.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 852
  • CLtape2.jpg
    CLtape2.jpg
    674.8 KB · Views: 1,104
Thanks, dude. Once my paint dries, I plan to explore the plasti-dip. A little intimidated by the whole peeling off thing... it's not just the cost of my Loubs, it's the size. This size is nearly freaking impossible to find and took me months of leaving messages for various snotty sales reps.
Any updates for us if it worked?? Would love to know myself:smile:

Drumroll please...! It's a perfect match. Tada! I hereby retract all earlier frustration with said custom paint seller. She turned out to rock. She's been responding to my obsessive texts all day with little tips and tricks. I am so impressed. I'd share but I don't think I'm allowed to, am?

I'll post photos when they're dry. Pretty stoked about this.

What's the name of the seller?

So first— full disclosure. I have owned three pairs of Loubs in my life. All Simple 70s in black patent. One purchased in late 2013 and the other two purchased this summer (right after sizes 42.5 and 43 became available ;). I also have two orphans from earlier (pre-2011 seasons). Long story. See below.

Girls I have taken this neurosis to an entirely new level. As you all know, I was on the quest to find the perfect paint so that I could *restore* to like new condition them and then apply a Zagg invisible shield. Review my OP for all the stuff I tried.

I didn’t finally find a very close match on eBay. However, it was way too thick to apply evenly and it was pretty obvious that she had simply purchased some cheap acrylic paint from a craft store. It is too thick, not adequately mixed and not intended for leather and certainly not for snow/salt/weather.

Finally, and here’s the kicker— her paint is the closest match I’ve found to my 2014 Summer Simple Pumps. However, it is way too deep for my shoes from earlier seasons. That’s right. The color is different depending on the seasons (years?). I don't know if CL changed its color or if the color on my older shoes simply aged over time but I will tell you this— the shoes I have from earlier seasons have never been worn. They are orphans that I bought at a sample sale with the goal of making them into art. Or something. I know. I’m such a dork. Anyway— the soles on my earlier shoes are pristine; they’ve never seen the ground.

So I’ve now decided that I’m going to figure out how to make my own paint— and at least two versions of it. One for pre-2011 shoes and one for post 2013 shoes. I don’t own any shoes from the years in between so I don’t know if either of my paints will match them.

I believe that I have mastered the pre-2011 color (although it's more than just the color-- a "finisher" was also needed). Mastering this color was way easier because those shoes don’t have the same ultra thick/glossy finish as the newer shoes do. I can provide the formula for that (using high quality materials) if anyone wants to PM me. I assume I’m allowed to say that, right?

Or can I post the formula here? It does require a specific brand, so I kind of figured that's not allowed.

I actually just take mine to a shoe repair place recommended by NM and the guy puts a red rubber sole that matches the CL. It's perfect...it makes the shoes even more comfortable and the sole always looks red (red, white, black, etc....from when the paint peels off).

Girl you are obviously more thoughtful than me because it didn't even occur to me until you posted it.

However, I am pleased to report that the Zagg shield actually did not make my shoes slippery (go figure, because you definitely have a point there). It actually gave me a little more traction than a bare sole but a lot less than a Vibram. I'm actually going to start a new thread about the Zagg because I'm trying to keep this thread limited to paint. Is that ok? I'm not new but I'm not a regular poster so I am not as seasoned at the rules and don't want to ruffle any feathers ;). I guess I'll go ahead and post and hope for the best.http://forum.purseblog.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/