Do you accept returns?

dagnypup

O.G.
Feb 3, 2010
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if accepting returns for my ebay listings would deter buyers from lying about receiving "box of rocks' or "SNAD" cases, etc?

Obviously it might create a situation where someone wanted to "rent" my item -- but for those of you who DO accept returns, have you noticed much of a problem with the seller abusing the return policy or still scamming you?

I offer returns, and yes - sometimes things are "rented." I've actually been lucky though - I'm pretty lenient with best offers and every time I have had a return, I end up selling for more!

I accept returns. I think charging a restocking fee helps deter returns. I offer free shipping on a lot of items so if I didn't charge a restocking fee, I would end up in a loss situation. I think a lot has to do with the dollar value of the items you sell. A lot of mine are inexpensive and most people won't go to the trouble to return something that costs under $50.

Recently I had a very unhappy buyer who threatened to open a case because she didn't want to pay the restocking fee. She waited a week before she contacted me and when I got it back, it reeked of smoke, so I'm pretty sure she "rented" it. I was able to convince her to let me at least deduct a small amount from the refund to cover my shipping cost, so I broke even, if you don't count the time and product it took to get rid of the smell.

Most of the time when I've taken returns, I've had no problem reselling the item. I had at least one item I sold at auction, accepted a return, and it sold for a higher price the second time.

There are always going to be unhappy buyers. If you allow returns, you can put a restocking fee into your return policy. You can always waive it if you sympathize with the buyer. If you don't accept returns, I think there are some people who will think there is nothing they can do about it and not bother you, and there are others who'll get nasty.

I do think it makes a difference in what you sell. Most of what I sell is vintage so it is unlikely that the item is going to show much more wear than when I sent it.

I don't because I sell a lot of my bags I do t use anymore. I agree with the renting thing. I don't want someone to use it and possible damage it and then return it.
But in some cases if the buyer is nice and they say it didn't work for them I do take it back as long as it's in the same condition I send it and they pay for return shipping and know they won't get their original shipping back.

Thanks everyone for your replies! You've given me some great food for thought.

The items I am thinking of are high priced bags that I just don't use. I was thinking of putting some sort of security tag on it -- even though I know this is not a guarantee, but at least hoping it will deter the "renters".
I have also considered using a consignor -- but I hate to think of loosing at least 30% for the fees. But perhaps it is worth it to avoid the hassles of scam buyers?
Sigh...I just need to think out my future purchases VERY well in order to avoid this situation in the future.

Cheers!
Dagny

Thanks everyone for your replies! You've given me some great food for thought.

The items I am thinking of are high priced bags that I just don't use. I was thinking of putting some sort of security tag on it -- even though I know this is not a guarantee, but at least hoping it will deter the "renters".
I have also considered using a consignor -- but I hate to think of loosing at least 30% for the fees. But perhaps it is worth it to avoid the hassles of scam buyers?
Sigh...I just need to think out my future purchases VERY well in order to avoid this situation in the future.

Cheers!
Dagny
The problems with selling is what keeps me from buying.

I don't but I have made a few exceptions and I usually turn around and re-sell the item pretty quickly.

The buyer can easily claim NASD and you have to take it back so if anyone makes a stink I usually just take it back.

And for anything expensive try to have a security mark or tag and always use insurance, DC and SC when shipping!

I accept returns and have rarely had any until this last year. The only major scam I've had to deal with came recently via a return where someone asked to return a Burberry bag and sent a package to a different address in my zip code, then called PP and was refunded the same day. I uploaded to PayPal the proof from the PO that the shipment had actually been addressed to the wrong place and proof that I'd sent the buyer the right address and it didn't matter to them.

That said, I think they could try to pull the same carp if they'd just filed a SNAD case in the first place so I don't know if it matters.

Even though I state that I don't accept returns, if buyer contacts me and asks if there is a chance she can return, I usually agree as long as she gives me a legitimate reason and covers the shipment costs.

I accept returns and have rarely had any until this last year. The only major scam I've had to deal with came recently via a return where someone asked to return a Burberry bag and sent a package to a different address in my zip code, then called PP and was refunded the same day. I uploaded to PayPal the proof from the PO that the shipment had actually been addressed to the wrong place and proof that I'd sent the buyer the right address and it didn't matter to them.

That said, I think they could try to pull the same carp if they'd just filed a SNAD case in the first place so I don't know if it matters.

Wait, what happened with this? Did you ever get the bag or the money back? That's awful!

I can really sympathize with these situations. So sorry about that scam buyer! I wouldn't know what to do in that situation.

I have a few expensive LV bags that I really don't use. I'd like to sell them on eBay, but I just had a very unpleasant experience with a demanding buyer. Now I'm kind of afraid to sell on eBay.

I look through all of the LV auctions, and it seems that almost no one is offering returns. (They must have good reasons). I'm a new seller and I DO offer returns, to try to be 'fair'. I also worry that I'll get ripped off if I DON'T offer returns.

One major problem with possible 'renters': My LV bags have 'naked' leather (untreated leather) so the slightest bit of rain, water, or sweat will leave an indelible mark on them. So a 'renter' could really devalue one of my bags, even just with ordinary use. (This is probably the reason why the LV bags sit in my closet; they are in such 'mint' condition that I'm almost afraid to use them!).

On eBay, I've sold vintage collectibles and other non-designer items and had a much easier time. When items aren't worth much money, I guess buyers aren't as demanding. Some of my non-designer items are so inexpensive that it would be ridiculous for a buyer to spend money trying to return them. If someone buys a book for $10, there's no reason to invent a scam.

When I recently started selling on eBay, I had a few friends specifically advise me NOT to sell any designer bags! I guess anything expensive is going to attract the scammers.

I don't know if eBay used to be better towards its sellers? Some eBay sellers say the situation was better in the 'old days'. All I really know is that lately I keep reading of so many scams! Stuff like sending the bag of rocks or returning the item to a random location in the seller's zip code so the seller never receives it, but the buyer still gets refunded. Horrible!

I'm considering doing consignment, even though I hate to think of all of the money that I'll lose. I never would have bought as much as I did had I known it was so difficult to sell the items. I guess eBay doesn't provide much 'seller protection'?

I think I'll keep offering returns, because several people on the eBay designer board advised me that if I DON'T offer returns (as a new seller), I could really get ripped off. Selling on eBay really is a gamble: You could get a perfectly reasonable buyer who's happy with the item, or you could get a demanding PITA buyer who delights in being nasty. Or even a scammer. :sad:

Wait, what happened with this? Did you ever get the bag or the money back? That's awful!

Yes, after calling eBay back over and over again until I got to the top of the supervisor chain they gave me my money back. But they gave me the money out of their own pockets and the scammer got to keep the refund (and probably the bag because the package they sent most likely wasn't it).

It was just a few months ago. There's an old thread in this forum about it somewhere.

Eva, if you can get a decent quote from a consignor I would go that route. It's so much easier. You don't make as much of your money back but you also don't have to worry about losing the whole bag and money.

You can also try the site Shop-Hers. When you sell something there you mail it to them and they inspect it for condition/authenticity and handle returns so you don't ever have to worry about a buyer shenanigans. Their fee is 18%, which is a bit steep, but you don't have to pay PayPal fees because they deposit directly to your bank account.

They do give more visibility to their "VIP" sellers who are regular consignment customers that pay a higher fee but I'm not VIP and I've done OK there. And I'm always glad to sell through them because it is so stress-free. Their CS is very quick to answer questions, too.

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if accepting returns for my ebay listings would deter buyers from lying about receiving "box of rocks' or "SNAD" cases, etc?

Obviously it might create a situation where someone wanted to "rent" my item -- but for those of you who DO accept returns, have you noticed much of a problem with the seller abusing the return policy or still scamming you?

I email buyers after the sale and let them know I will accept a return within 3 days of delivery confirmation. I don't like that ebay has only 14 days as an option so I don't formally offer returns in my listing but I absolutely will take a return within 3 days if the buyer will pay for original and return shipping.