Rude/catty comments regarding your designer jewelry and watches

I feel sorry for people who have to be mean to others. There is enough in life for everyone. A friend of mine just got a great job, a job I'd love to have myself. Am I jealous? Envious? Nope. I am so happy for her! She is going to be great in her new job. My job will come to me, the one that I'm supposed to have.

It is hard in our society, the society doesn't seem to value "to each his/her own," it seems more to value "you must have the most to be the winner."

Winner of what?

Good for you with your fabulous ring and Paris wedding! That sounds so exciting and glamourous. You must have had a very special day.

there are so many people out there who are just competitive, sarcastic and/or jealous by nature....like Ame said, dont engage them..........plain and simple, just enjoy what you have!

It sort of like over shadowed my engagement.
I was actually thinking of telling my husband the ring really did cost too much and maybe we should take it back.
But he didn't take out a loan to pay for it, he was able to pay for it in cash and I wasn't going to make him feel like it was stupid.
So while they all drive around in 3000 cars and go home to live with their parents, i have 50k on my wedding finger, and they can drown themselves in jealousy.

Haha, You wouldn't believe all the **** I got for my wedding. "But your family can't go" (Important people made it) "your wedding was so small." "selfish to ask people to go to paris. "
Ugh

Oh wow, I thought only rich people in magazines could afford that kind of rings ;) (and I didn't think they were going on forums ;) )

Still, I'm wondering. If your hubby could afford that, there was probably signs of it. How could your "friends" not see it coming? I don't know all my friends' income, but still, for some of them, that kind of expense wouldn't be such a surprise.

Could you show a pic? I'd love to see your rings :smile:

My mother warns my boyfriend almost weekly that I'm expensive. We've been together for 8 years and I'm pretty sure he already knows about my spending habits. Every time I'm contemplating a big purchase I always run it past him to get his opinion. I may be slightly obsessed with jewelry but he spends thousands on electronics. He knows that he can't comment on my collecting!

I have gotten the "feed a whole country" comment from my sister though. That was before she discovered her love of sapphires and dropped an amazing amount of money on an earring and necklace set.

Aside from luxury goods, i do get asked regularly if my hair is real . I've even been told that I wear wigs...which I've never done.

Oh wow, I thought only rich people in magazines could afford that kind of rings ;) (and I didn't think they were going on forums ;) )

Still, I'm wondering. If your hubby could afford that, there was probably signs of it. How could your "friends" not see it coming? I don't know all my friends' income, but still, for some of them, that kind of expense wouldn't be such a surprise.

Could you show a pic? I'd love to see your rings :smile:

Haha, we aren't rich!
And my friend's didn't really know him.
But no one knew how much he had, or what he had other than his M3.
He paid half the ring upfront, and the rest of the balance over 12 months. My husband isn't a spender, he lives modestly even though he makes 6 figures. We never go and eat out, rarely buy designer, but instead we spend money and go to a different country every 2 months.
My ring is a Tiffany's Legacy, centre stone weight of 1.7.
The ring itself didn't cost 50k, it was something like 38k before taxes and then my wedding band was around 4-5k.
So it's my wedding set.

2eyksgo.png

2aakpk7.jpg

It is hard in our society, the society doesn't seem to value "to each his/her own," it seems more to value "you must have the most to be the winner."

Winner of what?

Good for you with your fabulous ring and Paris wedding! That sounds so exciting and glamourous. You must have had a very special day.

+1
Its like one big competition! I grew up in a town of about 3000, my high school only had about 500 students (grade 9-13) so it's always been like that in my life.
Then I left my town and realized it wasn't like that everywhere! Haha, it was like a eye opener. But sadly, the town doesn't change and the people living there don't either.

I haven't experienced any rude or catty comments, but I have had complete strangers ask me where I got my Louis Vuitton or Chanel purse. My answer is always "Louis Vuitton" or "Chanel." Well... duh! lol. I have had well intentioned people ask what brand of purse I'm carrying if they aren't sure (at the nail salon the owner asked about an LV Suhali I was carrying, and then asked "Is it more than $2000?") No one asks about the Rolexes or the Cartier watches... but whenever I walk into a jewelry store the clerks I'm dealing with invariably notice and say "Nice watch!"

I haven't experienced any rude or catty comments, but I have had complete strangers ask me where I got my Louis Vuitton or Chanel purse. My answer is always "Louis Vuitton" or "Chanel." Well... duh! lol. I have had well intentioned people ask what brand of purse I'm carrying if they aren't sure (at the nail salon the owner asked about an LV Suhali I was carrying, and then asked "Is it more than $2000?") No one asks about the Rolexes or the Cartier watches... but whenever I walk into a jewelry store the clerks I'm dealing with invariably notice and say "Nice watch!"

I love your answers ;) made me giggle haha

Haha, we aren't rich!
He paid half the ring upfront, and the rest of the balance over 12 months. My husband isn't a spender, he lives modestly even though he makes 6 figures. We never go and eat out, rarely buy designer, but instead we spend money and go to a different country every 2 months.
The ring itself didn't cost 50k, it was something like 38k before taxes and then my wedding band was around 4-5k.
So it's my wedding set.

2eyksgo.png

2aakpk7.jpg

It's beautiful, thanks for showing me!
And it's not too big or overwhelming :smile:

When people say something about being materialistic etc. I just agree with them, yes... I am materialistic. I enjoy nice things. Anyone who says they don't is probably lying lol. Also, there are worse things one can be than materialistic. Way worse things. If you can afford it and it makes you happy, do it... Life is too short to worry what other people think.

My mother's cousin heard that I bought a Louis Vuitton Neverfull before they discontinued the old style. She called my grandmother and asked how much I spend (kind of rude). My grandma told her it was around $1200 and she replied with WHAT? WHY DOES SHE NEED A $1200 BAG... My grandmother said "Oh, she works hard she deserves it". "So what if she works hard, why does she deserve a $1200 bag. If you ask me she needs her head examined."

Needless to say I haven't spoken to her since and my mother had a few choice words with her as well.

People will be jealous. It's a sad thing, but it's hard for people to be happy for others because they're all so worried about competing... When they can't compete they have to try to knock you down a peg. If they make you feel awful about something or regret buying something or wish you didn't receive a certain high priced gift, then they've succeeded. That's what they wanted.

Last edited:
Haha, we aren't rich!
So it's my wedding set.

2eyksgo.png

2aakpk7.jpg

Looks fantastic :biggrin:

I know this is an old post but I'm sorry I have to bring it back to life. I'm new to post but not new to tpf. I have something that has been bothering me for weeks already and I want to share with all the ladies here because my DH just " doesn't get it" I guess it's a man thing.

I'm very fortunate that I have 2 Cartier bracelets as my wedding gift. One a juste un clou and one Love. When my friend, more like a neighbor saw that I was wearing them together, she immediately asked me about them. I told her " they are wedding gift" but she insisted on knowing more, so I took her to the Cartier boutique. She didn't buy either one, of course. A few weeks later she asked to borrow my bracelets so she can bring them to her jeweler zen have them make her the copies. I told her I cannot let her borrow the bracelets because they mean a lot to me and I do not want them to lose my bracelets.

Last week, she called me while I was running errand and asked me to go pick her up at her jeweler 's store because her husband had dropped her off and gone home, so she needed a ride. I figured it was on my way home so I would pick her up. To my surprise, she asks me to come in to the store. As soon as I walked in, the owner and she immediately took my hand, raise it up, one took out their iPhone and took as tons of pictures of my bracelets from all angles and the owner even had some kind of device on her hand to measure the thickness of my juste un clou. I got very very irritated and told them they couldn't do that to me and tried to walk away. The owner of the store made this really rue comment " ur just wasting money on the real stuff, when ur friend gets the ones that I'm making for her at 1/3 of the price, you will be crying our eyes out, but it's ur money so I don't want to say anything".

This whole incident was so bad, awkward and I felt like I was just being robbed. I don't mind her copying my style but copying to make fake stuff is really uncool and very illegal. I hope I don't see her wearing the same two bracelets at my sister's upcoming wedding

I know this is an old post but I'm sorry I have to bring it back to life. I'm new to post but not new to tpf. I have something that has been bothering me for weeks already and I want to share with all the ladies here because my DH just " doesn't get it" I guess it's a man thing.

I'm very fortunate that I have 2 Cartier bracelets as my wedding gift. One a juste un clou and one Love. When my friend, more like a neighbor saw that I was wearing them together, she immediately asked me about them. I told her " they are wedding gift" but she insisted on knowing more, so I took her to the Cartier boutique. She didn't buy either one, of course. A few weeks later she asked to borrow my bracelets so she can bring them to her jeweler zen have them make her the copies. I told her I cannot let her borrow the bracelets because they mean a lot to me and I do not want them to lose my bracelets.

Last week, she called me while I was running errand and asked me to go pick her up at her jeweler 's store because her husband had dropped her off and gone home, so she needed a ride. I figured it was on my way home so I would pick her up. To my surprise, she asks me to come in to the store. As soon as I walked in, the owner and she immediately took my hand, raise it up, one took out their iPhone and took as tons of pictures of my bracelets from all angles and the owner even had some kind of device on her hand to measure the thickness of my juste un clou. I got very very irritated and told them they couldn't do that to me and tried to walk away. The owner of the store made this really rue comment " ur just wasting money on the real stuff, when ur friend gets the ones that I'm making for her at 1/3 of the price, you will be crying our eyes out, but it's ur money so I don't want to say anything".

This whole incident was so bad, awkward and I felt like I was just being robbed. I don't mind her copying my style but copying to make fake stuff is really uncool and very illegal. I hope I don't see her wearing the same two bracelets at my sister's upcoming wedding

What?!?!?

I can't even believe the audacity. How did they prevent you from walking away?