Parts of the bags are shipped from China but assembled in Europe?

lilyzhang0725

Mar 16, 2014
I was at the Chanel side and came across this thread which talks about the pieces of Chanel bags are shipped from China and assembled in Europe in order to get the "Made in ..." stamped...

http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/my-professor-told-me-chanel-bags-all-made-880663.html

Would this be true for Dior bags as well? It seems that the quality of Dior bags exceeds the quality of Chanel bags by a lot! What are your thought?

This seems to be no surprise which makes me very disappointed and killed my urge to by more bags... :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

I'm usually a silent reader but I would like to intervene this time. I work in the fashion industry and I am sure Dior does not produce anything in China. As far as I know, the only production sites are in Blois (France) and Florence (Italy).

I'm usually a silent reader but I would like to intervene this time. I work in the fashion industry and I am sure Dior does not produce anything in China. As far as I know, the only production sites are in Blois (France) and Florence (Italy).

That's good to know! It seems that Dior rarely have quality issue which makes it more believable! Thanks for the input!

If you keep reading in Chanel you will find other articles that state that there are 50,000 Chinese immigrants living in Italy and working in poor conditions in the factories so don't know what's worse people working in horrible underpaid factories, or having toxins used in there products,or having the bags made in China! For more information go to Greenpeace.org or thefashionduel.com/ranking

I am Italian so unfortunately well aware of the situation here, and it's not my intention to deny that is probably the case for many companies producing leather goods or fashion goods in general.

However, we need to make a distinction among brands: luxury brands like Dior, Chanel, Hermés, do not have any interest in exploiting under-paid, not legally employed, subjected to inhuman conditions people. Could you just imagine what enormous damage would it create if somebody would find out what they are doing? And I am quite sure articles would scream their names all over, you wouldn't "simply" read some articles alluding to "big names in fashion".

Companies that produce quality goods in ethical ways DO STILL EXISTS. So enjoy your Dior's and Chanel's!:yes::yes:

P.S.: as of importing pieces of Chanel's bags to France or Italy "to be assembled", yes I think this is true, but true for every brand in the following way: you may get the hardware parts from China, great wool for the tweed from Australia, exceptional crocodile skins from Egypt....this is how it works! They cannot produce EVERYTHING is one place. But the ability of finding and selecting the best raw materials and then creating from those the beautiful items we fall in love for, that is what distinguish them. And this is how I would define craftsmanship and this is what makes the difference in the end to me:smile:

I am Italian so unfortunately well aware of the situation here, and it's not my intention to deny that is probably the case for many companies producing leather goods or fashion goods in general.

However, we need to make a distinction among brands: luxury brands like Dior, Chanel, Hermés, do not have any interest in exploiting under-paid, not legally employed, subjected to inhuman conditions people. Could you just imagine what enormous damage would it create if somebody would find out what they are doing? And I am quite sure articles would scream their names all over, you wouldn't "simply" read some articles alluding to "big names in fashion".

Companies that produce quality goods in ethical ways DO STILL EXISTS. So enjoy your Dior's and Chanel's!:yes::yes:

P.S.: as of importing pieces of Chanel's bags to France or Italy "to be assembled", yes I think this is true, but true for every brand in the following way: you may get the hardware parts from China, great wool for the tweed from Australia, exceptional crocodile skins from Egypt....this is how it works! They cannot produce EVERYTHING is one place. But the ability of finding and selecting the best raw materials and then creating from those the beautiful items we fall in love for, that is what distinguish them. And this is how I would define craftsmanship and this is what makes the difference in the end to me:smile:

Well said!

I was actually was the one who posted that on the Chanel board, it sorta killed my vibe when it came to Chanel. I am interested in a Diorissimo so would love to know

I'm also interested in the diorissimo! It seems dior's quality control is much better than chanel.

The Diorissimo is probably the best made bag by Dior. The leather is premium; it is comparable to Hermes leather. The bag is made by hand and there is a great video of the product being made (I'll post it below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2w12VcdaSo

Besides purchasing LE Lady Dior, nowadays, I invest most of my money into Diorissimo bags. I feel like they are worth the high cost. The leather is thick and the bag can looks very stiff at first but the leather eventually softens as you use it. It is a really nice transition. Recently spent 3 weeks in Europe, basically training it from one country to the next. I carried my large Diorissimo on the plane, train and cruise ship. I must have thrown and kicked that bag a few times during my travel, but it still looks great. I think the only "con" most Diorissimo owners will tell you is that the bag is quite heavy (due to all that leather). But I deal it with just fine. At least I know I am getting quality product.

Thanks! The Diorissimo is for sure my next purchase
The Diorissimo is probably the best made bag by Dior. The leather is premium; it is comparable to Hermes leather. The bag is made by hand and there is a great video of the product being made (I'll post it below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2w12VcdaSo

Besides purchasing LE Lady Dior, nowadays, I invest most of my money into Diorissimo bags. I feel like they are worth the high cost. The leather is thick and the bag can looks very stiff at first but the leather eventually softens as you use it. It is a really nice transition. Recently spent 3 weeks in Europe, basically training it from one country to the next. I carried my large Diorissimo on the plane, train and cruise ship. I must have thrown and kicked that bag a few times during my travel, but it still looks great. I think the only "con" most Diorissimo owners will tell you is that the bag is quite heavy (due to all that leather). But I deal it with just fine. At least I know I am getting quality product.