Wearing high heel pumps.......

devoted7

O.G.
Jan 6, 2006
I love shoes and especially the high pointed pumps and would do anything to make them comfortable. I've tried everything from wear socks to adding comfort pads, but they make my feet so painful (and sometimes with blisters). After 5-10 minutes of walking, I start to limp and feel miserable.

I sometimes look at celebrity pictures and envy Cameron Diaz and especially Victoria Beckham wearing those yummy pumps and wonder how they do it.

I am 5"2 and hate wearing flats or platform shoes. Just a question for you shoe lovers, how do you do it without feel miserable? I just can't sacrifice pain for fashion:sad:

devoted7

OH, I know how you feel... Im 5'2" and a size 5 shoe.. so im always looking for ways to make shoes more comfy or at least small enough to fit me..

I buy the Dr. Scholls "for her" insoles, theres some meant for open toed shoes... then there are heel grips, little pads that you can put under the soles and points of your feet to make walking in them more comfortable. The Dr. Scholls gel insoles are little on the pricier side, esp. for one pair.. but they are SO worth it for the comfort!

You know how cameron diaz and all those celebs look so comfortable in 6 inch heels??

it's because they BARELY walk in them!!! they have a limo that drops them off and picks them up. the very most, they're walking the red carpet!!

You and I are trying to walk in these!! of course they hurt!!! if u went everywhere in a cab or car u'd be able to do it too!!

I love shoes and especially the high pointed pumps and would do anything to make them comfortable. I've tried everything from wear socks to adding comfort pads, but they make my feet so painful (and sometimes with blisters). After 5-10 minutes of walking, I start to limp and feel miserable.

I sometimes look at celebrity pictures and envy Cameron Diaz and especially Victoria Beckham wearing those yummy pumps and wonder how they do it.

I am 5"2 and hate wearing flats or platform shoes. Just a question for you shoe lovers, how do you do it without feel miserable? I just can't sacrifice pain for fashion:sad:

devoted7

I think it is just a case of trade-offs, like so many things.

You get whatever benefit you perceive of wearing the shoes today, and in return you get the pain of the shoes today, and the medical bills and the pain of the long-term damage later.

Especially now that there are so many beautiful - and fashionable - flat shoes, the high heels just do not seem like a very good bargain.

You know how cameron diaz and all those celebs look so comfortable in 6 inch heels??

it's because they BARELY walk in them!!! they have a limo that drops them off and picks them up. the very most, they're walking the red carpet!!

You and I are trying to walk in these!! of course they hurt!!! if u went everywhere in a cab or car u'd be able to do it too!!

devoted7

start small and eventually you will get used to it. walk around the house in heels on an evening, then work up to running errands in them after a while you will be able to walk in them all day.

start small and eventually you will get used to it. walk around the house in heels on an evening, then work up to running errands in them after a while you will be able to walk in them all day.

I also heard that if we start wearing them more often, we get use to them and the pain gets betters. I remembered my aunt wearing high heels everyday (to the mall, zoo, concert) and she said that she can't wear regular shoes anymore. Her feet is acustom to the high heels. So, I guess it is true that it gets better over time (I hope):confused1:

IMO it also depends on the quality of the shoes itself :P

They take a while to get used to and don't start weaing huge ones from the first day. Start with kitten heels and then increase the height slowly, after weeks or a month. But wearing wedge heels or thicker heels really help, as opposed to thin ones like stilettoes. And taking regular breaks also helps.

...my aunt wearing high heels everyday...she said that she can't wear regular shoes anymore. Her feet is acustom to the high heels. So, I guess it is true that it gets better over time

Over enough time, the tendons and muscles in the legs become permanently deformed, like the feet, and the person can no longer stand or walk comfortably barefoot, or in flat shoes.

So it would be dependent, I suppose, on one's notion of what constitutes "better."

For me, it got better/easier to walk in heels for a long time, but now I have developed what I think is arthritis in my left big toe. It often feels numb or painful if I wear heels, even after they are off. So, now I am starting to purchase flats (just got my first pair in February!)

This may sound a little strange but.....vacuum the house while wearing them. If you can do that, you'll be able to walk around outside. If you can't it means the shape of the shoe is not right for you and you are better off returning them. Not all high heels are made the same way. I can walk around in Manolo Blahniks but Jimmy Choos kill my feet. Alot of it has to do with the angle of the shoe, and how well centered the heel is.

Just because shoes are well made doesn't always mean heels are comfy. I've worn a pair of Manolos walking from a parking lot about three blocks to the building I had to go to and then an hour or two later back to the parking lot. I was about ready to take them off and walk barefoot my feet hurt so bad. The shoes are comfy but NOT on concrete.

I do find that a thicker heel helps absorb a lot of the impact that can be painful.

I also recently read an aritcle (though I think it was an older article) that said something about how women's feet can be shaped differently and some women are just more comfy in heels than others due to the type of foot they have.

I use Foot Petals in my high heels, thanks to a recommendation in this forum somewhere! In the last couple years my feet have grown/swelled from a 7 1/2 to an 8. Plus, I'm now wanting heels/platforms to proportion out my short legs, so I'm willing to bear a little discomfort along the way. But, the foot petals are a godsend!