Reissue quality vs Classic Flap

littles mom

littles mom
Oct 5, 2013
Hi. Please help me!
I have a few classic flap bags( a mini, CWC, M/L and Jumbo) . The leather smells amazing/ intoxicating and the quality and structure is exceptional on each bag.
I just received a 226, shiny black aged reissue and to be honest, I was a bit disappointed when I opened the box. I LOVE the color and look but the leather doesn't smell nearly as amazing and it is thinner, stiffer and seems cheap. Also, I hate the crease and folded/flattened look of the bottom. I stuffed it to see if it would help.
Will it soften over time?
I love the understated look and love love the size and feel like I would use it all the time. But, I don't want to feel like it looks cheap or fake for such an expensive bag. I work very hard to save and buy my handbags and need to choose carefully.
Thank you for helping!

I saw the shiny black reissue today in the boutique. It feels and look very different than the distressed leather ( more plasticky). Sorry :sad:

If you don't like it now... You might not like it later and it's lot of money. Did you try other reissues?

I love my 226, but I, too, don't like that crease on the bottom. My bag is 2 years old and the crease has never completely resolved, though I've tried everything. Having said that, the crease is not noticeable when in use, nor does it impede usage in any way. It is my softest Chanel bag to the touch, and imo the most elegant.

i got a reissue 227 from 2012, didn't notice much about the crease, maybe i baby the bag (very very much), thus be extremely careful everytime i open/close the bag and how to put it aside when i sit down. i do agree that the leather is extremely soft compare to classic lambskin jumbo, thus i stuff it at all times when storage so it will not start to sag and create more creases. I am very happy with the bag though, like it more than classic jumbo for some reason.. don't know why.
I saw the shiny black reissue today in the boutique. It feels and look very different than the distressed leather ( more plasticky). Sorry :sad:

If you don't like it now... You might not like it later and it's lot of money. Did you try other reissues?

ar, yes, the "new versions" tend to be very different. i saw they change their classic flap caviar leather into one that touches so tender and soft, just like lambskin IMHO, makes me wanted to hunt down the old "dog nose" ones, as they are more durable to scratches. I didn't pay any attention to the reissues though, as i already own them, so didn't bother.

Hi. Please help me!
I have a few classic flap bags( a mini, CWC, M/L and Jumbo) . The leather smells amazing/ intoxicating and the quality and structure is exceptional on each bag.
I just received a 226, shiny black aged reissue and to be honest, I was a bit disappointed when I opened the box. I LOVE the color and look but the leather doesn't smell nearly as amazing and it is thinner, stiffer and seems cheap. Also, I hate the crease and folded/flattened look of the bottom. I stuffed it to see if it would help.
Will it soften over time?
I love the understated look and love love the size and feel like I would use it all the time. But, I don't want to feel like it looks cheap or fake for such an expensive bag. I work very hard to save and buy my handbags and need to choose carefully.
Thank you for helping!

I think it is because it is the shiny black. I also saw it in the store and I agree with what Rami said. I have 3 distressed calfskin reissues (2 black GHW and RHW, and red) and the leather is amazing. If you are not in love with it, then return. You might like the aged calfskin better. You should go try out those. Keep us posted!!

JE2824,
Thank you!! I will decide tomorrow as I am deep in thought and trying to decide.
The pictures I have seen are beautiful but the one I received are not the same.
Thank you!

I didn't end up buying the black on black reissue like I thought I would because it is glazed. It is beautiful now but I have seen many for resale that are several years old and they didn't age well:sad: I really doubt that many people didn't take care of their bags so I opted for aged calf and I am very pleased. Still classic and understated but hoping it will last ages. If you end up keeping, just be careful not to chip the glaze and should hold up better than others. I really love that it is black on black-let us know what you decide!

I love my reissue. I think it depends on the batch. I saw some that was so dull looking. The crease hmmm I bought in Paris and when it was shown to me it was folded in on the side only. Never had to fold it flat. I guess keep looking until you find the one.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1410072707.167074.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1410073014.924240.jpg

I bought a 227 before the last increase and was very disappointed. It can see tge appeal bc it's light weight but the leather was not as distressed as I hoped and it was matte looking. It was very blah. I returned it and never looked back.

Here is a photo of a how nice aged calf can look. I didn't end up keeping this one because in size 227 and antique hw, I felt like it was too mature for me but if in smaller size would have kept. I ended up exchanging for a silver with rhuthenium hw and love it.

OP, I also have a black calf (non-glazed) with ghw and it is very distressed looking too if that's what you like, you should be able to find with no problem. Let me know if you need an SA. But the fold at the bottom is how they are shipped so they all will have to some extent but lessens a little with use. But as baghagg pointed out, it cannot be seen while being used. Let us know what you end up with-don't give up!

Attachments

• Chanel Bronze 2.55 with Flat Watermark.jpg
    Chanel Bronze 2.55 with Flat Watermark.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 1,981
Here is a photo of a how nice aged calf can look. I didn't end up keeping this one because in size 227 and antique hw, I felt like it was too mature for me but if in smaller size would have kept. I ended up exchanging for a silver with rhuthenium hw and love it.

OP, I also have a black calf (non-glazed) with ghw and it is very distressed looking too if that's what you like, you should be able to find with no problem. Let me know if you need an SA. But the fold at the bottom is how they are shipped so they all will have to some extent but lessens a little with use. But as baghagg pointed out, it cannot be seen while being used. Let us know what you end up with-don't give up!

Very beautiful!

I got mine last year and exchanged it. Chanel is so insane, the price is beyond ridiculous but the quality has gone down hill. I have not purchased any bags from them ever since this piece. I even compare the new piece that they exchanged for me with my 07 P seasonal M/L, I found that the seasonal piece has thicker flap and puffier quilts.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 8.42.27 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 8.42.27 pm.png
    381.4 KB · Views: 1,793
  • Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 8.44.31 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 8.44.31 pm.png
    555.3 KB · Views: 1,787
I have a Reissue 227 in washed brown caviar. Though I am new to Chanel, I am not new to the luxury market nor high-end leather bags. My bag smells amazing, looks amazing, and has no creasing. There is nothing "flimsy" about this bag.

Sounds like you are no newbie, and you have a standard for comparison. Return the bag. You should be as close to 100% happy as possible, with what these bags cost!

Thank you everyone!
Since this was my first reissue , I did not know what to expect. I returned it and was able to find a black caviar GHW jumbo flap. I am waiting for it to be delivered but I hoping it is what I'm expecting. Everyone seems to love theirs.
I bought the matching flap wallet as well because I was afraid of color transfer on my patent ones. Has anyone seen this occur? I would rather have used a wallet I have, but since the ones I have match other patent bags, I was afraid the black bag would ruin them with color transfer.