eBay Safety Tips for Buying & Selling

Hi,
I recently sold a LV bag, the transactions is smooth and when she received my purse , today is this the message I get from her.

We received the bag on late yesterday,The bag is not an authentic Louis Vuitton. There are no Louis Vuitton markings on the bag nor the strap and buckles and the lining on the inside is not correct.
The bag is being returned to you for a full refund.

- mylethrbgs
Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

I called eBay and eBay says it's in my favor as she violate the eBay agreement as she didn't open a dispute . And I am pissed because I have proof of purchase the bag and I won't be selling fake items in eBay because I don't do fake.

When I call paypal , they say if she claim the refund from her credit card company assume she use credit card , then eBay and Paypal can't protect me because the buyer goes thru 3rd party.

Now I haven't received my purse yet as I don't know if u will get the right purse as I send her.View attachment 2669284View attachment 2669285View attachment 2669286

Those are the purse I sold her .
I think this is another instance where ebay gave you bad advice.

IMO, the buyer did you a favor by not opening a dispute. If she opened a SNAD dispute, it would be accusing you of selling a fake and a counterfeit ding on your account can limit or prohibit your ability to sell designer items. (It doesn't matter whether the buyer is right or wrong in her allegation.)

My advice is to tell her to return the bag in the condition sent and you'll give her a refund.

The listing just ended on June 24 so I doubt that she's been using it. Perhaps she has buyer's remorse or perhaps she believes it's fake.

If she simply needs reassurance, refer her to the authenticate this LV section of TPF or have her spend $7.50 to have a professional authentication from A4U.

I came across this video explaining how a lot of Japanese sellers are selling unbelievably good LV fakes particularly speedies but also other models. I do not know the accuracy of this video, and I know there are some honest Japanese sellers out there, but for me this has turned me off completely due to some signs I have seen myself. So I thought I would share.

The person who made the video is extremely passionate (made me laugh), but he did mention that they are using chemicals to speed up the patina process, which makes the patina appear differently, and I have noticed a slight difference in patinas between some Japanese and non Japanese sellers. There are other signs as well. Watch the video, make up your own mind, but for me definitely not buying them now (shame as there are quite a lot of azur speedies at a good price).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiYH6qM6zo8

I know some of you put ties on your bags to make sure you receive the same bag back if it's returned. What kind of ties are they? Do you put the tie only or do you add some additional kind of marking?
Thanks for your help.

I know some of you put ties on your bags to make sure you receive the same bag back if it's returned. What kind of ties are they? Do you put the tie only or do you add some additional kind of marking?
Thanks for your help.

I use tyvek strips, like when you go to concerts. I put my ebay seller name and the item number on the strip.

Excuse me for being dense but how would this be any help if a buyer opened a dispute?

It is not a deterrent against opening disputes but just a way to ensure you get back the item you sent and not a swapped out fake. It also might prevent someone from trying anything sneaky it they see the tag. I also place it in a conspicuous area so the item cannot be worn then returned without the tag being hyper apparent. Nothing is fool proof but every little bit helps and it is not expensive.

Reactions: jchen815
Not sure if this is the right thread to post in please redirect me if not

I am helping a friend do an ebay listing for a Genuine Mulberry Bag - shes not sold on ebay before, I have but nothing in this price range, I have 100% positive feedback and this is probably the only thing she will sell apart from one other bag

Im just after some advise on the listing...the bag is definitely genuine - she is wanting at least $1000AUD for it, which is she thinks about half price...what can I put in the listing that would assist any buyers in validating the purchase (not sure if she has receipt can check) that it is a genuine bag...
Am I better offering the bag at a buy it now price? Im thinking that is better than auction...but then of course the listing fees are going to be hefty on top of the selling fees

The other bag she wants to sell is a Prada copy...but its a very very good copy that she did pay a reasonable amount of money for and of course I would put in the listing that is a copy and price accordingly

Can any one offer me some practical advice...thanks in advance

PS - we are in australia

Not sure if this is the right thread to post in please redirect me if not

I am helping a friend do an ebay listing for a Genuine Mulberry Bag - shes not sold on ebay before, I have but nothing in this price range, I have 100% positive feedback and this is probably the only thing she will sell apart from one other bag

Im just after some advise on the listing...the bag is definitely genuine - she is wanting at least $1000AUD for it, which is she thinks about half price...what can I put in the listing that would assist any buyers in validating the purchase (not sure if she has receipt can check) that it is a genuine bag...
Am I better offering the bag at a buy it now price? Im thinking that is better than auction...but then of course the listing fees are going to be hefty on top of the selling fees

The other bag she wants to sell is a Prada copy...but its a very very good copy that she did pay a reasonable amount of money for and of course I would put in the listing that is a copy and price accordingly

Can any one offer me some practical advice...thanks in advance

PS - we are in australia
You can't sell a Prada "copy." That is counterfeit and is illegal as well as against ebay rules.

I think most buyers would be fearful to buy an expensive bag from a seller with zero feedback. Personally, I think she would be better off finding a consignor. There are also people on ebay that act as agents to sell other people's stuff. I'm not sure how you find one and I don't know what percentage they take. If she really wants to sell it herself she should get it professionally authenticated and put that in the listing. I think a Buy it now listing is better for higher priced items. She should figure out what the fees are going to be beforehand and price her item accordingly. I usually add 15 to 20% to the amount I want for the item.

Thank you for your reply
Sorry I should have stated I was going to sell it on her behalf through my account as we realise with no feedback it would be risky
I guess Ive been reading and finding out buyers can be such scammers and am a little concerned aboutselling such a high priced itemfor that reason!

Consignment shops seem to take such a huge percentage which is a bummer!

And I wouldnt sell the Prada bag specifically as a copy prada, do you think it would be okay to list it as Prada style?

Thank you for your reply
Sorry I should have stated I was going to sell it on her behalf through my account as we realise with no feedback it would be risky
I guess Ive been reading and finding out buyers can be such scammers and am a little concerned aboutselling such a high priced itemfor that reason!

Consignment shops seem to take such a huge percentage which is a bummer!

And I wouldnt sell the Prada bag specifically as a copy prada, do you think it would be okay to list it as Prada style?
No. If it has Prada branding on it it's illegal to sell it regardless of how you word the title or description. Counterfeit bags can't be sold legally. Period.

I agree that your friend should find a consignor. Better to lose a percentage to a consignor than the whole price and bag to some eBay scammer.

Don't sell an expensive bag for a friend. If something goes wrong with the sale it could jeopardize your friendship.

I recently sold an Agent Provocateur Mazzy swimsuit. It was brand new and I had always kept it in the AP box. I didn't upload any actual pictures and just used the pictures from the AP website because I didn't really see the point since it was brand new and thought uploading actual pictures would be a waste of time. Suddenly I get a message from the buyer saying there was a 'stain' on the swimsuit. She sent me pictures, where a light discoloration was visible. But I was SURE that this was not possible since I had never ever worn it and had always kept it in the box. I was sure it was fake, either she photoshopped it (badly) or put a little bit of talc powder on it. I started thinking and realized that if she would open a case, Ebay definitely would take her side, there was no way for me to prove that there was no discoloration on the swimsuit (although I think even if I had uploaded some pictures, Ebay would take her side too). She immediately suggested that she would keep the swimsuit for just $80 since 'that was all it was worth in that condition'. Then I was just convinced that this whole thing was a scam. I told her to send it back to me for a full refund + a postage refund. She kept trying to convince me to just give her a partial refund. I refused and never heard back from her. Which means this was 100% an attempt to scam me. Some people are so disgusting. I had already priced the swimsuit for like half the retail price, apparently still not enough of a discount for her... :nogood:
Make sure you always upload detailed pictures of your item, no matter how cheap/small/whatever it is. But I'm still convinced Ebay would favor the buyer in this case since it could have 'gotten damaged while shipping' or something.

Sooo, I'm new to this. I love buying shoes through ebay, however with bags, things tend to get tricky. I have a question for all of you eBayers, there are sellers who claim their bags are 100% authentic and that they are actually sample bags, where the bag is perfect but it lacks the serial code, or some kind of heat stamp that spells the name. My question is, do these bags actually exist? or are they just telling a bunch of lies to sell an expensive fake item?

Sooo, I'm new to this. I love buying shoes through ebay, however with bags, things tend to get tricky. I have a question for all of you eBayers, there are sellers who claim their bags are 100% authentic and that they are actually sample bags, where the bag is perfect but it lacks the serial code, or some kind of heat stamp that spells the name. My question is, do these bags actually exist? or are they just telling a bunch of lies to sell an expensive fake item?
As an authenticator, I can tell you that there is almost no way to prove a sample bag is authentic. Often it is a ploy used by sellers of counterfeits. If some of the details don't match an authentic bag, they can explain it away because it is "one of a kind." We never recommend buying sample bags. We've noticed that there seems to be a ring of these "sample" sellers.

While it is true that some manufacturers might create sample bags, unless you were there in the factory or studio of the company and saw it being made, you would never know if it was made by that manufacturer or not.

Most sellers, whether they are selling authentic or fake, are going to claim their items are 100% authentic. If they don't, ebay will remove their listings. No matter what the seller says, you need to do your due diligence and get the bag authenticated yourself.