Help — possible repair?

brittcheshire

Jun 30, 2014
I read the reference forum, and I understand that Coach will repair a bag "if it is a result of the workmanship and it happened due to normal use", but do they do the same for small accessories? I have a small Poppy ID wristlet given to me a few Christmases ago by my parents, and I pulled it out of storage today, and much to my dismay — somehow I got a crack/gash in the plastic of the ID slot. :crybaby: Here's a photo:

photo-1.jpg

Now, I wasn't using this item at the time and I'm completely unaware of how it happened, and that's okay, I don't need it to be repaired for free. I'm totally willing to pay for it to be fixed. My question is, is it even possible? Can I send it to Coach and offer to pay? Or is there some outside service that you gals are familiar with that can fix this type of problem?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you all!

The repair service costs $20 for shipping. I think you could probably find someone local to fix it cheaper than that or do it yourself. I don't think that Coach would even repair it. I don't think it is a manufacturing defect. Hot or dry conditions could do that to plastic. I think you could cut the plastic completely out, find a new piece and glue it in place.

The repair service costs $20 for shipping. I think you could probably find someone local to fix it cheaper than that or do it yourself. I don't think that Coach would even repair it. I don't think it is a manufacturing defect. Hot or dry conditions could do that to plastic. I think you could cut the plastic completely out, find a new piece and glue it in place.

Yeah, I don't think it was a manufacturing defect by any means, it was probably just because I stored it while I was moving, and living in Arizona probably doesn't help. It's dryer than a bone here. :sad:

I wouldn't want to try fixing it myself, this piece is a little more special to me than my others and I'd hate to run the risk of screwing it up further myself. I think my best bet may be trying to find some place local, but I have no idea who could fix this sort of problem... perhaps a clothing tailor? I'm not sure. :shrugs:

I'm not sure, but I think I would try a cobbler? Don't they fix other leather things, like straps on purses and things? I hope you can get it fixed! :smile:

Thank you, I hope so too! I went to Coach last night and paid $20 and sent it off to their repair center to see if it could even be fixed... I figured it was worth a shot! My SA told me that she's seen the plastic crack a few times, so she said it's possible to be fixed, I guess it's just whether Coach wants to or not. But if they can't, a cobbler isn't a bad idea! I'll probably go that route next if Coach can't help me. :smile:

I sent a bag in to Coach repairs in July because the turn key spring was getting loose, and only just got it back today, unrepaired. When I called after a month, they said they'd thrown the bag out (it was a gift that had sentimental value) because it was unfixable (it wasn't even broken) and had sent me a merchandise credit (which I never received). I then spent over 2 months calling every day to politely try to get them to send the bag back, and was repeatedly told that I'd be called back, emailed with a tracking code, etc., but never was. Never sending anything in to Coach again, let alone buying from them- by far the worst customer service experience I've ever had.

I sent a bag in to Coach repairs in July because the turn key spring was getting loose, and only just got it back today, unrepaired. When I called after a month, they said they'd thrown the bag out (it was a gift that had sentimental value) because it was unfixable (it wasn't even broken) and had sent me a merchandise credit (which I never received). I then spent over 2 months calling every day to politely try to get them to send the bag back, and was repeatedly told that I'd be called back, emailed with a tracking code, etc., but never was. Never sending anything in to Coach again, let alone buying from them- by far the worst customer service experience I've ever had.

Maybe you should post this on Coach's facebook page, something public outing gets you noticed

I had a friend who was told her bag could not be fixed and she begged to get it back

Wow, that's horrible! I agree, you should post it somewhere more publicly.

I've sent in three things and have gotten them all back. One was repaired perfectly, one was partially repaired and the third wasn't repaired at all, but didn't include any merchandise credit or 40% off letter.

That's horrible they didn't send the items back! That does need a Facebook post. I don't think that's their typical behavior but it shouldn't happen at all.

I sent in a dog collar because the SA said the leather crumbling was a definite defect, and they returned it unrepaired, but with a 40% letter.

That is absolutely horrible! :tdown: I was a little worried when I sent the wristlet to Coach, but they returned it (not repaired) with a 40% off coupon. I would be extremely upset if they would have simply tossed my item, since mine has sentimental value, as well... I agree with the others, you should absolutely post your experience on Coach's Facebook page. Letting the public know about your experience will at least help others be wary of their service.

In addition to my original post, my boyfriend and I were able to fix the wristlet ourselves! I essentially "ripped" out the damaged pieces of plastic, and then used an X-acto knife to carefully cut out the smaller pieces of plastic that were left behind. I ordered some replacement plastic pieces from a great little company online that sent me 4 pieces (which I totally appreciated, because I was so worried about messing one up!) and then I used fabric glue from Jo-Ann's to glue the plastic into the wristlet. We sat a heavy book on top of it overnight and now it's good as new! :tup: That's okay Coach, I was able to fix it myself, but thank you for the 40% off, too! :biggrin: