Racoon family in the yard

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
Last night around 11pm I heard something walking around near the window. It was much more noise than I'd heard in a long time for an animal - almost thought it could be a person. I looked out and didn't see anyone but after a while I saw something in a tree. I shined the flashlight and saw a mother Racoon and 3 babies. They came down from the tree and roamed our back yard for quite a while.
I'm wondering if they're living on our property or if this was just a one-time visit. I know they can be a problem if they move into your attic or something like that and I know they have very sharp teeth and claws. But they're cute and if they don't do any damage, they're fun to watch. Do they usually live someplace high up like a tree or an attic?

I think raccoons usually like to find hollow spaces in trees to live. They are really adaptable though and that's why you sometimes hear about them moving into someone's attic or shed. Since you saw the family coming down a tree, that could be their home. Or, if you live near a woods, they could have just been passing through your yard looking for food.

I love raccoons! I miss the families that used to visit. I would love to feed them grapes and watch them for hours.
I know .....they're cute, esp the babies
I read that they can have a one mile radius so maybe they were just visiting.....they made plenty of noise so if they come back and the windows are open, we'll hear them